Judas Priest re-issues?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wpjs, Dec 2, 2017.

1. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

Have Painkiller coming today so can report back.

2. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Great,looking forward to it.

3. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

Can report that painkiller LP is really good. So much better than the coloured double vinyl version

4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I wonder if anyone can compare the new Painkiller to the original EU vinyl. I have that, and it sounds great, but curious how it compares to the new one.

LitHum05 and Metalrob like this.
  5. DoF

DoF Less is more...

$330.00

6. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

I have a few, Painkiller, Stained Class and Unleashed. And although I didn't have the time yet to compare them with my originals, upon hearing them for the first time, they do sound very, very nice. There is no mention of who mastered them, but the earlier vinyl reissue of Turbo - which I loved - was done by Mandy Parnell in the UK and it wouldn't surpise me if she did these as well.

Purple, Metalrob and Szeppelin75 like this.
  7. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I have Painkiller arriving today, Point of Entry tomorrow and Angel of Retribution next week. Looking forward to it! \m/

Metalrob and Robert Haagsma like this.
  8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Just order Painkiller. yes...it's the painkiller, its....

Metalrob and Robert Haagsma like this.
  9. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Picked up my copy of Painkiller at Barnes & Noble, I didn't see any of the other reissues there though.

Metalrob and Szeppelin75 like this.
  10. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

No, I did years ago but I lent it out and never got it back.:realmad: I did in fact just listen to Side A of Sin After Sin. My first impression is that it sounded a bit dull and veiled. Not horrible, but I bet the original would sound much more open. I will compare it to the CD versions I have. However, the pressing is utter rubbish, loads of non-fill and it is dish warped. I am ordering a replacement.

I will be listening to Painkiller in a few minutes.

DoF likes this.
  11. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Non fill and dish warped...that sucks.It has been a while since i listened to my orig.UK Sin After Sin but if i remember right it is not a very good sound,thin and distant sounding!Interesting how you compare the reissue to the original CD.

12. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Sounds promising.Turbo reissue...is that the Turbo 30 released earlier this year?

Robert Haagsma likes this.
  13. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Hope to hear more Sin After Sin reviews, I have an original US vinyl and to my ears, it sounds very similar to the original CK CD. I have an original Stained Class LP and I think it beats the CK CD, but not by much.

14. Robert Haagsma

That is correct. She also did the vinyl version of the latest live album.

Metalrob likes this.
  15. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Never heard of her.Have you compared the reissue to an original Turbo?

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yeah...replacement on the way. It does not sound thin and distant for sure. I will compare later to the digital versions I have.

Painkiller is playing now. Now this one sounds really nice!

17. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

yeah i too have most of the original LPs but am very interested in buying the reissues so i dont wear the originals out.If they sound ok that is.

18. Robert Haagsma

She owns the Black Saloon Studio in London and has been a much respected mastering engineer for 30 years, mainly outside of the metal field though (Björk, Sigur Ros, Eno, Aphex Twin, etc). Check Wiki. Quite a career. I spoke with her last summer and she mentioned her involvement with Priest. I think she did a great job with Turbo, I prefer her mastering to the rather thin sounding original Dutch pressing I have.

Metalrob likes this.
  19. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

Ok,rather interesting with a "not metal" female mastering engineer.Turbo is together wit Painkiller the only Lps missing in my Judas Collection.Might by the reissues of those.

20. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Definitely enjoyed listening to Painkiller! Does anyone know if the source that was used for the LP is what was used for the included download card?? \m/

Purple likes this.
  21. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

The DR for the MP3 download is the same as that for the 1990 CD:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/guido/Downloads/Painkiller
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR11 -0.44 dB -12.69 dB Between the Hammer & the Anvil.mp3
    DR11 -1.76 dB -14.15 dB Leather Rebel.mp3
    DR11 -0.08 dB -12.61 dB A Touch of Evil.mp3
    DR11 -0.42 dB -12.64 dB One Shot at Glory.mp3
    DR11 -0.29 dB -12.76 dB Painkiller.mp3
    DR10 -7.84 dB -19.16 dB Battle Hymn.mp3
    DR11 -0.25 dB -13.95 dB Night Crawler.mp3
    DR11 -0.73 dB -14.17 dB Metal Meltdown.mp3
    DR12 -0.89 dB -13.51 dB All Guns Blazing.mp3
    DR11 -0.20 dB -12.68 dB Hell Patrol.mp3

Number of files: 10
    Official DR value: DR11

==============================================================================================

And since the album is DDD, the LP (barring pressing artifacts or other weirdities) is probably more or less identical to the 1990 LP. Which is consistent with what I hear. :agree: :D

22. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Would love to hear more comments on LPs other than Painkiller.

23. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Well, I'll get back to ya once i have a chance to listen to Point of Entry and Angel of Retribution. :righton:

24. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

OK, it looks like five positive votes for Painkiller, two positives for Point of Entry, one for Stained Class, one for Unleashed in the East, and one defective Sin after Sin (so review is pending).

While I think the printing of the cover art for Painkiller is fine (it's a cheesy/silly cover anyway, so I don't really care all that much), I did see a few of the new albums at my favorite record store, and some of the covers look pretty lousy (British Steel and Sin after Sin spring to mind). Still, some of them at least are really cheap, and if they sound good . . .

Purple, Metalrob and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  25. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

That's me!:wave:

I will have my replacement tomorrow and will report back. Initially, I thought it sounded a bit dull, but not horrible by any means. Oddly enough, the mp3 download that's included sounds quite nice.

driverdrummer, Metalrob and Nycademon like this.