Disney buys some assets of 21st Century Fox?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Nov 6, 2017.

1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

No, it's not okay! Tons of history remain in those buildings and sound stages.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

:shrug: It is probably valuable land.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"History" doesn't put food on the table, income from land serving a purpose does.

4. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

...and drinking
    [​IMG]

EdgardV and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The best Daily Variety cover was from the 1980s, where Universal fired Frank Price after Howard the Duck was a bomb. The headline: DUCK COOKS PRICE'S GOOSE.

This one is almost as good...

[​IMG]

KatCassidy and Dan C like this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Have you ever been on that lot before?!? I worked there...
    Second: More ugly condos in a high density area of Los Angeles?!? :realmad:

Vidiot and sunspot42 like this.
  7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Hey - who said anything about it being "right"...?

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This isn't going to put food on any tables. It's gonna put vodka in statues p****** vodka.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Redevelopment does seem very plausible in that crazy market. That’s going to be a very sad day if it does happen. Nothing lasts forever I suppose.

dan c

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Seth MacFarlane has been quick to quip that he's also put in a lot of jokes about Disney and Weinstein and Fox in Family Guy and American Dad for years and years. But they go by real fast. Matt Groening's Futurama has had a lot of interesting predictions as well.

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Sadly Disney is on train into oblivion eventually..
    How many really care if Disney streams old tv shows and old cartoons
    Really? How many kids of today will want to see old cartoons..
    They are past that. The babyboomers are past that, original programming
    sure .. handful. All this race to beat netflix is childish.. Disney has to have there hand in
    everything to keep afloat.? they should be made to sell abc this I feel
    like a antitrust lawsuit of some sort..
    I miss the old Disney before uncontrollable greed set in.

12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

You just know that Wolverine will at some point have to skate upside down, standing on his hands, using his claws as his blades.

Juan Matus and sunspot42 like this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes! They need to make that happen! That would be awesome!

(Sorry, that idea brought out my inner 6 year old). :)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  14. I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlord.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, you miss the point. It's the entire live-action libraries of two major Hollywood studios. That's what's going to drive the new streaming service. And that includes NEW TV shows as well. If the only way you can see them is on this one streaming channel, it'll be impossible not to get.

The icing on the cake is Disney being able to add the Star Wars movie rights, plus they get all the associated Marvel characters with Fantastic Four and with X-Men. That's a huge "get" right there. And many thousands of hours of Fox TV shows and the rights to remakes and so on.

I think Disney is looking at some point 10, 15, 20 years down the road when most of the TV networks have gone out of business and a lot of movie theaters have closed, and 90% of most people will be getting the vast majority of their entertainment from streaming. If they have the #1 or even the #2 streaming company in the world, they're going to be doing very well financially.

BTW, the current market caps for the various studios is sobering (figures rounded up):

Paramount Pictures/Viacom $13 billion
    Sony Pictures $30 billion
    20th Century-Fox Pictures $64.3 billion
    Warner Bros. $70 billion
    Comcast/NBC/Universal Studios: $185 billion
    Walt Disney Productions $168 billion

It's hard to figure out specific divisions (like separating Paramount from Viacom or Universal from their corporate owners), but it's fair to see that Disney is the 10,000-pound elephant at the moment.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Too funny not to post...

[​IMG]

sunspot42 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

This is exactly one of the reasons why I believe Disney swallowing Fox is no good news

And yes, I too believe than in less than 5 years from now, the entire Fox and Disney libraries won't be physically available except maybe for a few premium titles, and only for a limited period.

From my personal point of view, that sucks big time. I'd like to be able to watch a movie or, say, an episode of The X-Files or The Simpsons whenever I want using a DVD/BD player, and not having to be connected to the f***ing internet even to watch a film.

I get that many people are fine with it, but to me it means much less freedom..

18. Oh no. I sense a disturbance in the Force: What if they make another "Lost In Space" movie or series? :hurl:
    Sure, the original got silly, but it was what it was, it was great and it should stay the way it was!

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they do make another one.

20. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Streaming vs. purchase: yes, I can see physical product phased-out purely on the principal that for years the media companies have been working towards a business model wherein the customer can pay for the media, but can never "own" it. Been this way since The Betamax Decision...and before that, the "Home Taping Is Killing Music", and the Napster crap (you remember, back when record companies' profits actually soared while they were telling the public they didn't deserve to use their purchase however way they wished?).

They want to establish their total dominion over their product while at the same time charging more to the consumer for the "privilege" of performing it for them on their choice of platform. The public is incapable of understanding what this concept is, or why it's important to them to defeat attempts to do it at every turn; so, they spring for Netflix, opt-in for Pandora and Tidal and Spotify, download "digital comics", and whine when their iTunes library won't follow them onto their next tech upgrade.

But Mirrorblade. 1, if you think this is something new for Disney, putting all their chips in on custom in-home digital delivery and you're missing the days "before the greed set in" - wow, just how old are you that you remember that, Methusela? There's more copyright lawyers in the Mouse House than cel artists, theme park trash pickers and Carl Barks duck comics combined.

21. I agree although, sadly, Fox already did this with Century City ages ago.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. It's already scheduled for Netflix.

23. I personally think that the continuing shrinking of movie studios is a bad thing. To Vidiot's point, this is all about owning rights to characters and content. It also allows their Marvel division to finally bring the remaining characters under the same roof and for a decent Fantastic Four reboot as well as pulling the X-Men franchise into the Marvel universe (which was a goal Kevin Finge has been trying to figure out for years). The good news is for Marvel fans that Finge largely has a free hand (as long as the Marvel movies continue to do well) the bad news is that these characters will be so over exposed (not that they aren't already), we'll be overloaded just as with other comic characters.

PH416156 and sunspot42 like this.
  24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I would love to see Pixar make a CGI Marvel / X-Men movie.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Fox-Disney: Now Get Ready for the Power Struggle

As Disney devours most of 21st Century Fox for $52.4  billion, execs are jockeying for position as Hollywood braces for upheaval and as many as 10,000 layoffs.
    On Dec. 14, the day The Walt Disney Co. unveiled its industry-altering $52.4 billion acquisition of 21st Century Fox assets, Peter Rice, president of Fox and CEO of Fox Networks Group, shared a stage with Fox TV Group co-chiefs Gary Newman and Dana Walden and FX Networks CEO John Landgraf. According to staff present, the leaders did their best to rally the troops. What they couldn’t do is proclaim their own job security.

That uncertainty is being felt in commissaries and executive suites throughout the Murdoch empire, most of which over the next 12 to 18 months will be integrated into a Disney content powerhouse under CEO Bob Iger. Analysts predict about $2 billion in “cost savings” from the merger, and “we believe Disney will need to cut well over 5,000 jobs, and the number could easily swell toward  10,000 given the high degree of overlap between the two companies around the world,” wrote analyst and Disney critic Rich Greenfield.

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.