Music on Vinyl record label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought the MOV 180g repress of The Future by Leonard Cohen as the 1992 pressing was too expensive and only 140g, and it sounds superb. It piddles on the CD with sound and separation sonically far more enjoyable. Well worth the money unlike Back to Black by Universal which sound nasty in comparison. This company delivers the black gold!

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm very pleased with my MOV versions of The Cure 17 Seconds, The Church Starfish, and The Best of Sade.

3. I just bought Leonard Cohen Live In London 3XLP by MOV and it's like the concert is in the room!

4. Canned

Canned New Member

5. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Good post Jim. What people tend to forget is how much we in the UK have to pay for MFSL/AP/MM etc, releases (£30 -£40 now) whereas MOV are around £18/single album and Speakers Corner are around £24/single. It appears that in the US MOV are around the same price as MFSL/AP in which case buying the MOV doesn't make sense.

willboy and Jim B. like this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Most of this article is rubbish and not based on reality. For a start, MOV does not use analog master tapes....they may on a small percentage of titles use original metal parts but their mastering chain is digital using DMM cutting i believe...

7. Anois

Anois Forum Resident

I have Images and words and Awake by Dream Theater and they sound bad.

8. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

I have Aerosmith Nine Lives and it sounds pretty damn good!

9. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

They are frequently the best choice for a particular title. Or the only choice. I have the Hiatus Kaiyote record Choose Your Weapon, Bob Dylan's Time Out of Mind and just recently Eryka Badu's Momma's Gun. The first was a new release and the other two were basically unfindable for a reasonable price. I was ok with $30 ... stretching it for a new album but the pressing quality was good on all 3 and the sound is nothing to complain about.

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think if you are selective with Music on Vinyl records, you can get some great deals and some amazing sounding records....like the Jeff Buckley 'Sketches...' or AIC unplugged!

Grohlfan likes this.
  11. October23

October23 Member

I have 3 MOVs & not a big fan of the SQ // not terrible, pretty quiet, good pressing but *definitely not "audiophile" as they claim it is ~ judging by the couple Sade records + Continuum that I have, I'd give 'em a solid C average

12. flatandround

flatandround Member

I'm surprised people think Music of Vinyl is good (and some people in the forums even say "excellent"). I have 4-5 MOV discs, and basically their sound quality suck. They sound like cheap CD transfers. In fact, I find them so consistently ho-hum, that they are the first record company that comes to mind when people ask me if there are any that they should avoid.

13. Their 2016 double LP set for Extreme's III Sides To Every Story is excellent, it trounces the sound of the original 1992 CD which is a good mastering. The sleeve is of very good quality, the artwork has great mate printing with the inner black circle with the pictures of three of the band members in glossy finish, the black lines around the pictures on the back are also glossy.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’m in the process of getting rid of some of my MOV Vinyl. Some of them I’m keeping, some
    sound great especially those from original stampers. But their sound can be severely lacking at times...

15. vyteniss

vyteniss New Member

Came across with this label a few times but wasnt convinced to buy.. It just lacks something.. or everything

16. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

I own two MOVs....Depeche Mode - 'Violator' and Lucinda Williams - 'Car Wheels on a Gravel Road', both of which sound excellent...honest! No issues with pressing quality either. Wish I could say the same about static - for whatever reason these two records are/were the worst in my collection. I eventually managed to stop the vast majority of the crackle and pops but it took some doing, at least compared to the rest of my records.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  17. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've a few MOVs, among those a couple of the Bowie releases, Leonard Cohens 'Ten New Songs', the mono edition of Hendrix 'Axis Bold as Love' and I must say I haven't been disappointed so far. Maybe I've been very lucky but the pressings I've are flawless and sound great to these ears.

telepicker97 likes this.
  18. Baidur

Baidur Forum Resident

It's a mixed bag in with the ones I have. I've got 4 Hooverphonic albums which are great on every aspect. SQ, pressing and packaging. A Shocking Blue album which was a bit lacking in SQ. Digital source I think. And a Game of Thrones ost which probably had a bad choice in the colour of vinyl. Only MOV title I experienced with a pressing quality less than great.

19. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

This is the one title that I have from MoV and I love it! I'm happy to finally have this on vinyl and it sounds great. I like when 90s titles that didn't see a vinyl release (or an extremely limited one) finally get put out.

20. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Aerosmith ‘Nine Lives’ doesn’t sound good on any pressing :laugh:

baconbadge likes this.
  21. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Does anyone own the MOV pressing for Romantic Warrior by Return To Forever? I saw a couple copies at Amoeba in Hollywood a week ago, but I passed on buying one. Any opinions out there?

22. The pressings are fine, the sound is un-engaging. Non of my MoV would I ever consider definitive.

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

You must have received defective pressings. It's a great Aerosmith album, perhaps their last truly great album. It's worth seeking out a good pressing!

... and maybe get your ears syringed.

Jam757 likes this.
  24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I was talking about the musical content ;)

Deano6 likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I hope they're decent. I have their reissue of the July album to collect today...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.