Music on Vinyl record label

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Absolutely, it’s wonderful.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Agree, unless you get one where they use original stampers. Occasionally, they do cut an outstanding sounding record....but it’s seldom.

One that is outstanding is A Perfect Circle ‘Thirteenth Step’. Trouble is that nowadays, a lot of people on both here and discogs say almost everything sounds ‘amazing’.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

It is, although some copies look quite bad on the surface. Bad QC.

4. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Hi res digital
    Flat heavy quality quiet vinyl
    Hit and miss with different titles but the hits can be very very good soundwise.

- Alice in chains Unplugged sounds stellar
    - Same with jar of flies/sap
    - Ratm s/t sounds great, theres two different issues so make sure you get the right one.
    (This forum is your friend for that)

nosliw and Lucca90 like this.
  5. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I only own a handful of MoV titles, namely Ministry's Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon and The Transformers: The Movie soundtrack. The two Ministry reissues have a much better dynamic range than their CD counterparts and the Transformers soundtrack sounded great. The only concern I have with them is that the artwork used for the reissues tend to look really bad on some reissues, like the Transformers soundtrack looking like it was scanned from a very dirty copy, and some that I seen are quite blurry or pixelated.

6. bibijeebies

kenlea522 likes this.
  7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Ron Wood's I've Got My Own Album To Do sounds phenomenally good. I'd only heard a mid-80s CD before though.

telepicker97 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

I actually did track one down, not long after I wrote that. One of the nicest sounding albums in my collection.

I got lucky, my copy is flawless and CD silent.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Actually I’ve found that as my analog front end has improved, MOV pressings seem to sound worse.

Apart from the really good ones that are worth seeking out, I am very cautious about them. I think they are quite similar to Sinply Vinyl in that they are both pressed by Record Industry and their approach is almost identical. Simply Vinyl also have some standout records but, on the whole, they are also hit and miss (largely miss)

kannibal and telepicker97 like this.
  10. bibijeebies

Simply Vinyl is not pressed in Haarlem.

11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

IMO MOV deserve a lot of cheers. I do agree their releases are not always the very best versions to be had, but I would still call them a pretty much safe bet if you're looking for a quality version of a desired release. I don't think its fair to say caution should be used. Jayhawks, Hendrix, J Geils Band, Gene Clark, Love and many more. Quality editions with great sound at a reasonable price. Just my two cents....

nibor, Lucca90 and telepicker97 like this.
  12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Mixed bag, but amongst the good ones I have are the STP Purple (cover art is terrbile though), Hendrix Axis mono (flatter/quiter than the US cut I A/B'd), a couple latter day Dylans, and the 'Smith '9 Lives'.

Amongst the bad : I have the Clash w/7" from MOV, and I'm only keeping it for the 7", because the 12" just doesn't sound good. Only buy if you're a completest who needs the 7", which I am not, but I already have it, so...

In synopsis, MOV is probably like most labels who predominantly specialize in reissues, insofar as that there are good ones, bad ones, great ones, terrible ones, and some that are between those. It pays to do your research before plunking down your coin.

kannibal, GyroSE and willboy like this.
  13. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Tragically Hip reissues sound great.

15. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I only own one title - "The Time Machine" by Alan Parsons. I had to order it through "Rough Trade" from Europe which costed me almost $50 (IMO way too expensive, I will not do it again). This is a 1999 album never released before on LP so I just wanted an LP version. Sound quality is OK I guess, anyway there is no analog master for this album so it's no-win situation. Print quality of the cover and inner sleeves is pretty good.

I didn't like two things. First - they split album on two LP's. Yes, I know it's hard to fit album that long to one LP with good sound quality, but in the past it was still possible and I know more than one example of that. I guess these good and qualified mastering engineers has been long time retired or already dead and modern ones just not as good. Still bugs me.
    Second - they put stupid bonus track in the end, I hate bonus tracks! I just want any reissue to be exactly as original.

16. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I think you and I are in the minority but I agree with you on the bonus tracks. Just gimme the album as it were!

17. bibijeebies

Info copied from hype sticker:
    [​IMG]

LP 1 Original album remastered
    LP2 14 bonus tracks, 9 previously unreleased

And I also think $50 is way too much.
    In EU about €30.

18. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I think in the past it was mostly the studios trying to save money when the format was fledgling, most of the older engineers will still tell you they've always been against trying to put albums longer than 40 mins on a single LP.

Mastering Vinyl

Lyman notes that records produced during the LP's heyday rarely held more than 40 minutes of music — total. “And they sounded great! Because of the CD format, albums are definitely getting longer. These days, LPs are almost always over 45 minutes, as people try to cram more and more onto records. If you have anything over 40 minutes, spread it out; make the investment and do a double-LP release.”

The engineers I spoke with recommended putting no more than 16 to 18 minutes of music on a 12-inch record at 33⅓ rpm. “Anything over 18, and you begin to sacrifice sound quality,” Lyman warns. “The longer the disc, the lower the overall volume. When you're cutting a record at a lower volume, the noise floor increases.” (Disc manufacturers often post the recommended playing times for different-sized records at various speeds on their Web sites.)

19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I have a Simply Vinyl edition of Screamadelica and it sounds horrofic. I wish someone like MOV or Sundazed would give it a shot.

20. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

The version of Screamadelica that I have is from MoV, and it sounds great.

21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

So they did release it! Thank for the info. I will have to catch that one at some point.

22. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

My Matthew Sweet reissues sound great!

picket131 likes this.
  23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

There has been more than one pressing of Screamadelica on MOV, I have a yellow vinyl pressing that was produced exclusively for FNAC and I believe there's also a red vinyl pressing as well as the standard black.

Nielsoe likes this.
  24. My MoV, as reference:
    Lucinda Williams | Car Wheels... likely the best of the bunch
    Afghan Whigs | Black Love
    Tragically Hip | Road Apples (no where close to my original MCA copy of Up To Here)
    Yo Yo Ma | Soul of the Tango
    Allman Brothers Band | 2nd Set
    Rodrigo Y Gabriela con C.U.B.A. | Area 52

I don't believe any are from original stampers.

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

All of these are from original stampers:
    RATM - ST
    RATM - Evil Empire
    RATM - Battle of LA
    RATM - Renegades
    Jeff Buckley - Sketches
    Screaming Trees - Dust
    Kula Shaker - Peasants, pigs and astronauts

These are at the top of my head, I think there are some more I have...

nosliw and Geee! like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.