Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Been going good for 40 years so I'm thinking it's still doing ok.

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Star Wars" release schedule:

May 1977
    May 1980
    May 1983
    May 1999
    May 2002
    May 2005
    December 2015
    December 2016
    December 2017
    May 2018

So we'll have gotten 4 movies in 2.5 years, whereas it took the franchise 32 years between 1st and 4th movies.

We're in uncharted territory. You can't say "it's been good for 40 years" and think that this means fans will still embrace all the movies wholeheartedly when the franchise never had a release schedule like this.

One movie every 3 years never threatened to oversaturate the audience...

SandAndGlass and Vidiot like this.
  3. shokhead

Did it bomb over the weekend, I haven't heard.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Though they still have nothing for Summer 2019, at least for Star Wars, so there is that. I suspect they don't want a massive Star Wars movie and a massive Marvel movie coming out close together, so there's also that.

Last Jedi did better than expected: $220 million domestic, the second-biggest opening box office in history...

Box Office: ‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Soars to $220 Million Opening Weekend

It's also made $230 million internationally, so they're up to $450 million in less than a week. At this rate, they'll pass up Justice League by Christmas. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I hope 'Annihilation' is better than its trailer. 'Ex Machina' at least had some ideas, even if they weren't fully explored, so I hope for Garland upping the stakes a bit.

Sicario is one film that made the deepest impression on me in the last few years. "The upcoming Sicario sequel, Soldado, will make the original look like a comedy according to writer Taylor Sheridan". That's hard to belive but if true will made Soldado one of the most intense and riveting films ever.

6. Oatsdad

Y'know, I totally forgot the next "Avengers" comes out in May! (I know it's on your list - I'm old and senile, so leave me alone! :laugh:)

This makes it even less logical to me that Disney will put out "Solo" in 2018. They have "Avengers: IW" on May 4 and "Solo" on May 25 - and then "Incredibles 2" on June 15, so their dance card is full!

I'm more perplexed why they didn't save "Solo" for December...

Vidiot likes this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Because it's not a very good movie? That's my guess

8. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No they haven't. They have done just the start, where she turns into the Phoenix/acquires the Phoenix force, but not the full story. This is supposed to be the full story, where the X-Men go to space, meet the Shi'ar empire and all the rest. I think the story really needs tow films, or the first film being another adventure where we see the Phoenix Force taking over. Whatever, if they are able to pull it off in this film (which is up for debate) then it could be an amazing picture.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think there is any objective logic to your point though in terms of what an audience wants/can tolerate.

Providing that the quality is good then there are no limits. Obviously if the films were not very good everyone would get bored very quickly.

But fans of comic book films will happily go and see 6 of these a year without feeling any kind of overkill.

And people watch a great deal or product in terms of TV now - Game of Thrones was once a year, 10 to 12 hours a season, that doesn't feel like overkill. So if we got two Star Wars films a year - one in the series at Xmas and a one-off in the summer - 5 hours a year, it doesn't feel like overkill. It's a world that has limitless stories to explore so it can be pretty varied. Star Trek fans will watch hours and hours of TV shows so then why can't you have more films within that whole mix.

This isn't anything new either, it's just something that has gone out of fashion. Look at cinema in the 30's or 40's and there were lots of franchises which released films every year, sometimes more. There were 14 Sherlock Holmes films made between 1939 and 1946. More recently there were 8 Harry Potter films in just over a decade. People liked to see their favourites on the big screen quite often.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Disney is going to milk the Star Wars cash cow dry any way they can, with immediate profits valued over long-term sustainability. This is typical corporate behavior.

Eventually, they will release a stink-bomb Star Wars, maybe more than one. Only when that happens will the onslaught slow.

klockwerk likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

They think "Solo" is a bad movie so they give it a prime release date in the middle of the most competitive time of the year?

Why? So it can lose money more quickly? :confused:

12. Oatsdad

I never claimed to provide "objective logic" - my last post responded to the notion that since the franchise has been around 40 years, it'll do just fine.

The franchise never had a release schedule like it has now.

You're right - there are franchises like Marvel that churn out lots of movies and they do well.

And the multiple "Star Wars" movies may also be successful for years and years.

It's still uncharted territory for the franchise, though, and I think fans don't view "Star Wars" in the broad way they do Marvel.

In any case, I still don't understand why they'd release "Solo" in May 2018 when they could put it out in December. It still makes no sense to me that they'd not hold it for a) a less busy time of the year when it'd b) not come hot on the heels of the last "Star Wars" movie...

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The original directors were fired and they had to get Ron Howard in at the last moment to rescue the film. Given this I don't think Disney have that much faith in the film (although it could turn out fine) and so I think they don't want the Christmas 'Star Wars' slot to be taken with something they have their doubts about, as it may spoil what is now becoming a Christmas tradition of massive SW film every year. So I think they have decided to let it come out at a different time with less of that pressure on it.

Going forward though I do think a film a year is the long term plan, not so much with 'Skywalkers' but with the universe as a whole.

14. Oatsdad

You might be right. Is it telling that they didn't attach a trailer for "Solo" to "TLJ"? Maybe, though even if "Solo" stinks, one assumes they could create a decent 2-minute ad for it.

I still think summer is more pressure than winter, though. It's just a more cutthroat time of the year for Hollywood and mistakes get magnified.

I think if "Solo" flops or underperforms, Disney will get a lot more criticism than if the same happened in December... :shrug:

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

But if it flops in December then they can't blame anything but the film being poor.

Release it in the summer and if it doesn't do well they can just say it was the competition, so it gives them an excuse.

16. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

I would be inclined to agree with you but we’ve already seen with both the Antman and Dr. Strange movie that Marvel can turn profits even from movies with starring relatively unknown characters. Plus, Panther has now been introduced and played a sizable role in Civil War so he’s not a character out of nowhere to the casual audience. I don’t think it’s a blockbuster but I will not be surprised if it makes a nice little profit on its own. Just can’t discount Marvel Studios’ momentum until I actually see them produce a real flop.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They are both highly competitive periods.

They're releasing it in May because until the recent films, May was when all the Star Wars movies came out. They've been trying and failing to move the Star Wars movies back to May for a couple of years! Both The Last Jedi and Episode IX initially had May release dates but had to be pushed back.

18. Oatsdad

True... but then they have to deal with 2nd guessing and criticisms that they put it out a) too soon after the last movie and b) in the middle of the summer crush.

There will be negative repercussions either way, but saying "not our fault - it was the busy summer schedule" isn't an excuse - other movies get criticized for flopping in summer and can't use that excuse...

19. Oatsdad

Yup. The studio has set up the character and situations well - they actually started the ball rolling in "Age of Ultron" - and they're promoting the heck out of the movie.

Black Panther has been built-up better than GotG or Dr. Strange or Ant-Man were - the notion he's unknown is off-base...

Zoot Marimba and Stormrider77 like this.
  20. shokhead

I'm not so sure it has built up as much as Ant-Man.

21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think the plan all along was to release the new Star Wars movies in the summer, but various forces (no pun intended) led to most of them being pushed back. I'm actually surprised they're putting out Solo on time, given the massive amounts of reshoots and retooling they presumably have had to do, with the departure of Lord/Miller and bringing in Ron Howard.

22. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Rampage and The Purge??? (Among others)

No wonder the USA is last in virtually every educational category. I guess filmmakers have to appeal to their audience.

If I ever go see a movie with “the rock” I hope someone hits me upside the head with a gigantic rock.

23. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

How so? Antman was a movie out of the blue where the character had never appeared or been mentioned to the best of my knowledge in a prior Marvel movie. Black Panther played a significant role in Civil War, which was a blockbuster. Now he has his own solo film coming out and the public already knows who he is, if they’ve watched Civil War, hard to imagine you wouldn’t have seen it if you’re in the market to see Panther.

Oatsdad likes this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Does anybody honestly really care about a black panther movie.
    Not everything marvel does is pure gold example Iron Man 3
    And Reboot of Fantastic Four

25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The Grinch who is by universal or blue sky either way it will bomb.
    Han solo will have negative reaction Disney not making good decisions
    anymore when comes to core characters for past 40 yrs
    Ben Kenobi come on. snore. They are pushing too much..

klockwerk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.