Suspiria 4K Restoration Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MadMelMon, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hope this isn't a dupe thread, didn't find anything in a quick search.

I've probably bought this movie 10 times in my life, and I think this might be the last one. It's GORGEOUS. The colors are as vivid as possible, but with no sign of saturation (at least none that I've noticed yet.) The audio is fantastic, good placement in the stereo field and present enough to border on distracting.

It ain't cheap (Amazon had it for $90) but from what I understand, this 4K restoration was privately funded by Synapse and they only made 6000 of these, so I'm not going to begrudge them the $$$. It's certainly better than the (not bad, actually) Korean blu-ray I had previously, although I think there's a UK edition that might also be 4K, bit I haven't seen it, as it's region-locked.

For some bizarre reason, Synapse doesn't have it listed on their site (not even in the coming soon section!) But I picked mine up today.

Haven't gotten into the extras yet, or heard the CD soundtrack. I picked up the soundtrack box set last week, and that sounded fantastic as well.

Anybody else?

Synapse's 'Suspiria' SteelBook Gets a December 19th Release Date - Bloody Disgusting

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I had no idea when this was coming out. Just placed an order from diabolikdvd.com for $57.99.

MadMelMon likes this.
  3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Synapse posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago that they were taking Suspiria off their website because it was nearly sold out. If you wanted a copy of the film from them after that point, you had to call them directly. When I saw that message, I pre-ordered my copy from Diabolik. It was mailed yesterday and scheduled to be here on Friday. :) For those who are still on the fence, call Synapse or go to Diabolik DVD. Don't pay $90 on Amazon.

MadMelMon likes this.
  4. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I bought the UK release, taken from a different source (or, at least, it's a rival presentation). Looks incredible and the 5.1 track was also very impressive.

If the Synapse with it's original 4.0 track gets stupendous reviews then I'll buy it when it's rereleased at a sensible price (albeit without the superfluous extras - just the film for me please).

MadMelMon likes this.
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Did anybody see the theatrical release of this a couple months ago for Halloween? How was the print quality?

I planned on going but got stuck in a traffic jam. When I got to the theater, they wouldn't let me inside late, as the box office had closed. :mad:

MadMelMon likes this.
  6. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I missed it too, but I was told by a reliable source that it was spectacular.

yesstiles likes this.
  7. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

FYI, it is back ordered on diabolikdvd.com. Not sure what that means exactly, but I take it as not a guarantee that my order will get fulfilled.

MadMelMon likes this.
  8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I had an old VHS copy of Suspiria that had a horrible transfer. I never replaced it, and I'm wondering which edition would be a good copy. Blu Ray or DVD, I really have no preference, as long as it has a good transfer, and doesn't cost too much....under $25? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MadMelMon likes this.
  9. Barnabas Collins

I would email them or message them on Facebook. They're usually pretty quick about getting back to you-typically within 24 hrs.

MadMelMon and 80sjunkie like this.
  10. Barnabas Collins

The old Anchor Bay DVD looked good for its time. As far as I know it's long out of print. Honestly, I'd save my pennies and fork over for the Synapse Blu-ray version or find an import blu-ray version if your player can do other regions. This is the kind of film you want to see in as clear quality as possible.

realkilroy and MadMelMon like this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yeah, that seems to be the best option. I've been trolling around E-Bay and other sights, and there's not much out there. The Synapse Blu-ray is probably going to be my best bet. Thanks for your reply.

MadMelMon likes this.
  12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Never seen this before, but sounds interesting enough for a blind buy from DiabolikDVD. Although the backordered status does have me a bit concerned.

MadMelMon likes this.
  13. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

this.

i now have both. the synapse version is a revelation. i'll keep the anchor bay for the hour doc that isn't included on the new release. the included CD soundtracks in both are good, but the new one is a point higher in overall dynamic range.

MadMelMon and Mr. H like this.
  14. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Synapse did great work on this.

MadMelMon likes this.
  15. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

Just picked up one from B&N with a coupon, almost half the price of amazon.

MadMelMon likes this.
  16. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

For those who can play Region B blu-ray's, there is a really good Cult Films edition, that is based on another recent 4K restoration. It comes with a very interesting documentary on restoration process itself, with all its challenges. I still have the Anchor Bay LE with lobby cards and a music CD, which makes a good pair with the new restoration. Looking forward to see the Synapse version, but I will wait for a "regular" edition.

moops and MadMelMon like this.
  17. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I hate to say it, but if you didn't already order the limited edition before now, you are likely out of luck. I wouldn't count on any vendor that is currently listing it as backordered being able to fulfill those orders - my understanding is that Synapse doesn't have any remaining inventory to replenish vendor stocks with, so what's out there now is it. Supplies from vendors that actually do have it in stock are going to disappear in short order. It sold out pretty quickly on Synapse's website solely from preorders (I preordered it the day they announced it, figuring that it was not going to be around long).

Of course, they will almost certainly release a "regular" edition without all the bells and whistles of the LE, so those who don't really care about the steelbook packaging, soundtrack CD, etc. will have an opportunity to pick it up later.

MadMelMon likes this.
  18. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

My copy of this beautiful edition arrived on Monday and I finally got to watch it tonight. I had heard of this movie for some time but had never seen it, so this was a bit of a blind buy.
    It's insane...-ly great!
    The visuals (those colors!) and sound design are fantastic. There's even some neat lens effects in some shots. While it was as creepy and shocking as I was expecting, I wasn't expecting something so sophisticated...I felt like I was watching a Kubrick film at times.
    Definitely just went into my Top 5 horror films.

I gotta dive into the Extras disc now!

If you're unable to get your hands on this Limited Edition set, don't hesitate to pick up the inevitable standard edition...Synapse did a heck of a job.

19. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

i forgot to this mention earlier but for those of you who are interested in album art for the included goblin soundtrack based on this packaging, i've scanned, tweaked, and uploaded some options to album art exchange:

https://www.albumartexchange.com/co...ITLE&sort=DATE&status=&size=any&apply-filter=

should be the most recent images. I wanted something decent to tag my rip with. I decided to go with the included booklet which is both gorgeous and has the track listing on the backside. also did a version with the front slipcover as that's closer to the original artwork. hope they're useful to others...

Mr. H and MadMelMon like this.
  20. moops

moops Senior Member

The Synapse steelbook appears to still be available here ..... Suspiria With CD, 3 Pack, 3PC on DVDPacific

I use DVD Pacific quit a bit and they are a reliable, US based seller.

For those late to the party regarding the restorations, here's a brief summary .....
    The current controversy around the 4K restorations of Suspiria is kind of silly, but it appears it all comes down to the unique way that Dario wanted to get the colors he was after.

From the Cult Films site ......

Argento filmed SUSPIRIA on some of the last of the Eastman 5247 film stock. In order to reach the deep colours he had envisioned, the director struck the original release prints using a very different Technicolor Dye Transfer process which had already become obsolete. SUSPIRIA was the last film to be released following that particular method and all subsequent prints did not adhere to Argento’s original vision, with the look of the film affected dramatically.

So, it now appears there's two camps who are both suggesting that their 4K restoration is the most accurate to the original source.
    Synapse have spent the last 4 years doing their own restoration, with the supervision and approval of Suspiria's Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli.
    He's apparently given the Synapse restoration the nod as to being the most accurate to what he and Dario Argento originally envisioned all those years ago with regards to the film's striking use of color.

The other restoration has been done by TLE Films in Germany.
    Their 4K restoration attempts to preserve the film with that distinct color palette reinstated in accordance with Argento’s original Technicolor Dye Transfer specification.

So far it's mostly Synapse supporters that have been critical of the TLE Films restoration saying that the colors are off in parts.
    Synapse themselves posted some comparison pics between the two restorations and yes there was some difference ...... who is right ? ........ who really knows.

I guess the winners are the fans of the movie ...... as we currently have two wonderful 4k restorations of Suspiria to watch.
    The most recent blu-rays being released in Europe, the UK and Australia have licensed the TLE Films restoration.
    The Synapse restoration is so far only available to view by purchasing their limited edition steelbook blu-ray which is Region A locked.

If you wish to torture yourself, there's currently a Suspiria thread approaching 8000 posts at blu-ray.com that deteriorated into a slanging match between the TLE Films supporters and the Synapse fanboys.
    Representatives of both TLE Films and Synapse contributed briefly to the thread explaining their cases ...... but soon left due to the attitudes of the other thread participants.

Sound familiar ? :laugh:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Dave Garrett, Vidiot, Mr. H and 5 others like this.
  21. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I have the recent Italian BD. I believe this was the first to use the TLE transfer. I think it looks excellent!

MadMelMon and moops like this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I ordered from Barnes & Noble yesterday, and today got a shipping notice. I guess I'll find out when the package gets here.

MadMelMon and moops like this.
  23. ftracy3

ftracy3 New Member

My copies arrived today (I'd ordered directly from Synapse about six weeks ago). Can't wait to play it.

slainte, MadMelMon and moops like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Fans have a lotttttttt of opinions.

Who's to say a DP from 40 years ago will see a film today through the same eyes?

Robert C, slainte and MadMelMon like this.
  25. slainte

slainte Forum Resident

now i'm interested in the TIE version. though having seen the synapse version screened and at home, i'm mightily impressed. that includes the sound which is fantastic!

MadMelMon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.