Zerostat anti-static gun

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Craig Spiegel, Sep 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig Spiegel

Craig Spiegel Forum Resident Thread Starter

As this is expensive as new, is it advisable to buy a used earlier version? There are several red versions listed on eBay for a quarter of the cost of a new one. Is there a shelf life or usage life to these?

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yes, there is a fixed number of cycles each individual Zerostat can deliver before the parts that deliver the ionization wear down. I think it's 10,000 cycles -- cost per cycle the $85 you'll lay out for a Milty is way cheaper than buying a latte at Starbucks. I say buy a new one. Also, learn how to use it correctly. If you don't use it properly, it won't work. Properly means holding the record in free space, not placing it on the platter or any other large surface. Squeezing and releasing the Milty very slowly so it doesn't click, and doing it pointing at a couple of places on the surface.

3. I have a 40 year old white Zerostat which I believe is first generation and it still works. My understanding is they work until they don't so it would depend on how often they were used. Regardless, worth having in your vinyl care arsenal. Note to OP: be sure to observe the correct use as posted above.

4. colby2415

colby2415 Forum Resident

I have been wondering the same thing as well. I have been having lots of issues with dust getting onto my records after I clean them and leave them to dry. I am not sure if this would help cause I don't know it static is causing it, I think dust is just attracted to the surface while it is drying. I guess when you think about how much a new one costs it really isn't that expensive.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Dammit! I've been doing it all wrong.

6. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Big fan of the Furutech Destat- takes the Zerostat effect exponentially higher . Very worthwhile investment imo..
    ATB,
    Mark

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have the white version says Made In England........It's old, not sure how old though. Still works, I test it by applying a pc of thread or fabric to something, rubbing it on then hitting it with the gun and the thread/fabric falls off......

8. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I have the milty blue one and use it on all new records i get, approximately 3 shots by lp side, so must have shot 1800 shots until this day within 2 years (300 records).

I would say it is a worthwile investment, all new lps have static (except mofis).
    Simply place your arm close to the record abd you'll see your hair attracted to the record, after use of the gun, all the static is gone.

9. Me Too!!!

10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Buy an antistat platter mat - cheaper and more effective. I bought this mat and it really does eliminate static charges even though it's not a listed feature. Never had a static charge when removing the record as compared to a felt mat or the OEM mat that came with my Kenwood 750. Yes, it surprised me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6F2DK9/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I have the zerostat too but now I never need it.

11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Personally I've never had any success with anything other than an ionizer if there's a static charge on a record and a static charge on a record can happen from all sorts of causes -- sliding records in and out of plastic sleeves seems to be a big one. I don’t seen how a rubber mat can discharge a charged record. You mean you pull a charged record out of a sleeve and put it on the mat and it dissipates the record's surface charge?

12. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I find that some vinyl is more succeptible to getting (and holding) a static charge. The more expensive vinyl (old MOFI JVC Supervinyl for example) is fairly resistant to static for whatever reason, but none are immune.

Static is more than a nuisance or a cause of noise - it can damage your equipment. I fried the small board that houses the hall sensor in my TT's speed regulation system (Phoenix Roadrunner). It can harm other delicate electronics as well, especially anything digital. Can't be good for a cartridge either.

The Milty works well. I use mine as needed. When I go to remove an LP from my platter, I can feel the static if there is a charge, and the milty will release it with a single shot. It's a slow pull and release as someone else said. A platter mat may help avoid static accumulated while playing a side, but it won't discharge static already there.

13. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I have three Zerostats of varying ages and very much prefer the older style with the tapered snout over the style with black plastic shroud on the nose. The older guns have a stiffer, more positive trigger pull that is easier to control without clicking and seem to provide more anti-static goodness.

The indoor humidity here is seldom above 20% even with a humidifier running all day. Anti-static sleeves and an anti-static mat help, but a Zerostat and a rocket air bulb are essential to getting the airborne crud that clings to the LPs to go somewhere else for a little while.

14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I have a Zerostat from the 70s, it came with a tiny "light bulb" tester where you give the strands of wire leading to the bulb a little zap with the Zerostat. If the gun is working probably the bulb lights up. This thing still works and I did the slow squeeze & release on the trigger from the beginning. :)

qwerty and shirleyujest like this.
  15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A few years back I bought a barely used red one for $40. Still working just fine when I need it. Very easy to test it with a styrofoam peanut if you don't have the lightbulb tester thing.

Haven't tried the current version but I'm guessing it's fine. Might try one if and when I need another one. Even if it's new I'd still test it to make sure it's working okay. IIRC some people have received lemons.

16. Craig Spiegel

Craig Spiegel Forum Resident Thread Starter

I use an acrylic platter which I am to understand prevents static buildup. But I don't think it will remove existing static. Shouldn't a properly grounded turntable remove static from the record though the spindle?

17. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Forgot about the proper way to trigger squeeze. What is the deal with the click? If it clicks, does it nullify the procedure?

18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If it clicks right away that means you are squeezing too fast. You have to squeeze the trigger slowly and release slowly.

FLEMKE likes this.
  19. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I bought a used White one off eBay. It came with a bulb tester. It still works. I believe the white ones were original. The red ones were distributed by Discwasher and Milty now sells blue ones.

20. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

As we're entering another dry winter, I finally bought one of these for my record listening. I also think I'll add a humidifier for my room, to help a little more. So far, I'm getting great results.

Fifth-Chord and Dreams266 like this.
  21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I'm glad I have my Zerostat, but I now rarely use it, and that's when I buy a disc that comes in a problematic sleeve. Once I put it in a MoFi sleeve, I don't have any static buildup (or not enough for me to notice!).

Bill Why Man likes this.
  22. Methodical

Methodical Forum Resident

What can I use to test to see if a record is charged?

I get a slight shock now when I touch my equipment (walking across carpeted area), but this is not an issue when running the whole house humidifier as the air is not so dry.

Thanks...

23. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

You can wave your bare forearm over the disc. If it's charged, you'll hear a crackle and your hairs will stand on end (assuming you don't shave them!).

24. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

I have that problem in the winter and the static shock can damage your system. I am positive that it damages my MM cartridge. I have found that I don't produce a shock if I take off my shoes/slippers before I touch any part of my stereo. Using a humidifier works just as well. You can also get a ground wire that goes to a separate ground to get rid of your body's static charge

25. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Don't EVER use a zero-static gun to try to "demagnetize" your phono cartridge! I know for a fact that it damages MM carts.

Russ Adam Bodner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.