Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I like the look of the new Black Panther movie, and I think it's an interesting idea for a film, but I'm very skeptical of it being a commercial success.

2. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Tons of people were skeptical about the first Guardians movie, and it proved them wrong while having far less connective tissue to the greater Marvel universe.
    At this point, there’s no reason to whatsoever to doubt Marvel until they actually manage to fall short of expectations. Their track record is more solid than Pixar by now.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  3. Vidiot

I think I posted the first message in the initial Guardians thread elsewhere, and I basically said, "you know, I thought this would be a piece of crap, but the trailer is terrific and I hope it'll do well." I felt that it would be one of those movies that would either be HUGE, or it'd just be a Howard the Duck-sized flop. And it did the former and not the latter. It helped that writer/director James Gunn was given a long leash and a big budget to get the movie done his way, and it was a huge gamble on Disney's end.

I know that the Warner Bros. people are absolutely in shock that B-list and C-list Marvel comics characters are doing better than their own Batman and Superman-related projects. If you had told me 10 years ago that Iron Man would be part of a billion-dollar franchise, I would've told you that you were crazy. But they pulled it off. How long they can keep this going, I dunno.

McLover, tank64 and Stormrider77 like this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm shocked that they're shocked. Their bungling has been going on too long for any excuses on their part.

Jim B., 80sjunkie and Cousin It like this.
  5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Deadpool 2 should at least match the first flick. Han Solo will bomb by Disney standards (SW burn out likely cause).

Vidiot likes this.
  6. Michael Rose

X-Men - Phoenix should fall near the bottom of franchise. With Disney projected ownership, this entire Fox-side universe is meaningless.

7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It will become 'X-Men Frozen' with songs by Pharrell

Michael Rose likes this.
  8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

There's another angle to the Black Panther pic that us ol' timers may be missing. The kids. A surprising aspect of Wonder Woman, the character AND the movie, is how truly inspirational she is to females. Little girls especially love her. The Black Panther, much as he was in the books, will be the 1st major blockbuster featuring a black superhero. I believe this will absolutely factor in. Although I think, like WW, it'll be a hit regardless.

Just saw the trailer yesterday for Peter Jackson's latest; Mortal Engines. Jeez, to quote the prez it's gonna be huuuuge!;) Looks like Mad Max meets Pacific Rim. This one's either gonna be a franchise starter or a huge flop, We'll see.

ianuaditis likes this.
  9. Michael Rose

IS anyone anticipating a Wrinkle in Time to be a hit? It looks like a NBC Sunday night movie to me.

phillyal1 and mrjinks like this.
  10. Michael Rose

Ready Player One will under perform too

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  11. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

Mad Max meets Pacific Rim eh? nice tease! had to check out the trailer and yeah it has my interest peaked.

unfortunately, the trailer for Pacific Rim Part Deux doesn't look so promising. hope i'm wrong cuz i loved the first one.

12. To me the difference with the movies is the same as with the comics - the Marvel's look bright and colourful and the DC's look dull and boring.

13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You really are so cynical!

Absolutely fantastic cast, great director, a chance to tell a different type of story....I'm very excited about it. I think it could be really special.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Bet you £10 it will make a ton of money.

ianuaditis and Zoot Marimba like this.
  15. Vidiot

I hope Black Panther will do well, but I'm skeptical.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I've seen more promotion for "Black Panther" than for "Ant-Man".

And as mentioned, a) "Ultron" introduced Wakanda to the films, and b) Black Panther had a not-insubstantial role in "Civil War".

IIRC, there was no allusion to Ant-Man in other movies that pushed toward the 2015 film.

Lots more build-up for Black Panther - not even close...

Stormrider77 and Zoot Marimba like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Dwayne Johnson is actually a good actor - especially in comedies. He's made some good movies - and some crap - but the man clearly has talent...

18. Oatsdad

You could've said the same about GotG or Ant-Man or some of the others. Not every movie should focus on the handful of household name superheroes...

1) "Iron Man 3" made $1.2 billion worldwide
    2) Marvel didn't have anything to do with the 2015 "FF" - that wasn't part of the MCU...

Stormrider77, Vidiot and Zoot Marimba like this.
  19. Oatsdad

The MCU has yet to produce a bomb. I'll assume success until proven otherwise.

And don't forget everyone thought "GotG" would stiff...

20. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

From that list......
    1. ANOTHER Jungle Book remake?
    2. Look, I love Mary Poppins as much as the next guy, but the time for a sequel passed a looooong time ago.
    3. I have no familiarity with Proud Mary
    4. I saw the trailers for The Commuter and 12 Strong when I saw the last Thor, and both looked very promising. Then again, The Last Airbender had a good trailer.
    5. Can't comment on Maze Runner, but it could be decent for all I know.
    6. Fifty Shades Freed. Do I really need to comment?
    7. The Clint Eastwood film could possibly be decent
    8. Black Panther looks awesome, can't wait for that one.
    9. Winchester with Helen Mirren. I love Helen Mirren, but I can't say how I think this will be.
    10. Annihilation looks interesting based on the premise.
    11. Red Sparrow, I like Jennifer Lawrence as an actress, and it could be good, I don't know, I'll give it a maybe.
    12. Game Night, pass
    13. Death Wish remake, pass
    14. A Wrinkle in Time, maybe
    15. Gringo, maybe
    16. Thoroughbreds, I don't know
    17. Tomb Raider, Good luck.
    18. Pacific Rim: Uprising, I haven't seen the original, I really should, I know it has it's fans.
    19. Isle of Dogs, this sounds really good, and I like Wes Anderson.
    20. Ready Player One-Spielberg, I love you, I have many fond memories of your classics, you're a great talent, we are better off for having you, but I have no idea how you're gonna succeed with this.
    21. New Mutants, I don't know, I'm pretty burnt on X-Men films.
    22. The Grinch: While I am a Benedict Cumberbach fan, eh, I don't really see a need for this film. I mean, the Jim Carrey film wasn't enough of a failure to tarnish the Grinch, and even if it was, we still the Chuck Jones special. And I'm not a big Illumination, all I really like is Despicable Me, so I can't say I have much faith in this film.
    23. Halloween, another one? And we're redoing the continuity again? Make up your mind, or put this thing out of it's misery.
    24. Deadpool 2: I love the first one, and I think this could have some interest, but I'm wondering how the recent allegations against TJ Miller will affect this film. Unless they do what Ridley Scott just did and remove him.
    25. The Incredibles 2-This one I definitely want to see, Goddamn, a Pixar sequel that's actually warranted and desired.
    26. Ant Man & Rhe Wasp: Loved the first one, I can see this doing well
    27. Solo: A Hans Solo Story: I'm cautiously optimistic, let's put it that way.
    28. Holmes & Watson: A bit iffy on this, since even though I like some of Will's early films, his later ones are just so middle of the road and so phoned in. And giving that his film with Amy Phoeler was kind of so so profit wise, but then again, Daddy's Home 2 did fine, so this one I imagine is a break-even film
    29. Ocean's Eight could be good, could do relatively well.
    30. The Venom movie, other than casting Tom Hardy, I don't have much faith in this film, and I don't see it pulling the numbers Sony wants.
    31. The Jurassic World sequel I imagine will do well. As well as the last one? Maybe not, but it do well, I predict.

Pete Puma and Vidiot like this.
  21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I don't think he's Shakespearean by any means, but he definitely has charm and good charisma, and is definitely solid in comedic roles

Oatsdad likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Not me! :)

I casually know somebody working on Black Panther and she says it's terrific, so there is that.

23. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Spielberg need to dial back on the CGI thing and make real movies again. I predict another flopp with that video game feature

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's what I thought after seeing the preview a few times. Doesn't look good to me.

phillyal1 likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Well, he's got The Post coming out this week "for Academy consideration," so there is that. I think Spielberg is allow to make a big mass-market sci-fi epic and then also have a smaller human drama when he wants to. He's had about five or six films get shut down for various reasons, so you don't always get to make the movie you want. This is why a lot of guys at this level are developing four or five projects at a time: if one falls apart (actor cancels, studio turns down the budget, script not ready, etc.), he can jump to another.

budwhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.