Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

WilliamWes - I've been saying some version of what you said every time this topic gets discussed. You stated it very well.

2. Radio Jammor

Radio Jammor Forum Resident

Superb! :cheers:

Sorry you've just missed a US tour (although I don't think they were close to you anyway) but yeah, after the European tour early next year (which doesn't include the UK, I note), they'll probably hit the US again next Spring/Summer. They seem be in a pattern of going round the world twice, alternating between the larger and smaller venues.

William Smart likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I've got at least a dozen School of Rock kids who have the combination of musical skill, ability as a performer and charisma to have a decent shot at it. A couple of the Oak Park girls did a 27 date national tour as guitar and bass players of a backing band before they were 18. Another girl who just graduated has a fan club among my YouTube video viewers and is an amazing shredder. She adopted a "look" so she is easily spotted in any clip, and she might be the rare woman to break through in Metal. And of course Connor Low has the chops to become a significant Jazz musician.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Fullbug and William Smart like this.
  4. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I think people miss the point just because they cover other musicians songs. If you're wondering if the future of Rock has an audience well first you need kids who not only want to play, but can play. These kids are fairly advanced in my opinion. They study the past masters and then go from there. I assume they study theory too? If so the ones that choose music as their life's vocation will probably do better than your average garage band. B4 my detractors start I said probably & average. Yeah some garage bands make it,but that kind of drive & determination are not average and or probable.

@Chris DeVoe , @Radio Jammor take care have a great holiday. Thanks for turning me onto some great sounds. I'm cutting out because the snarky comments are starting and that's not what this forum is for. Peace Love Light, Iam

Chris DeVoe and Radio Jammor like this.
  5. Chris DeVoe

I've never understood that objection. Every musician covers other bands or performers early in their career. The difference with School of Rock is that they're doing it in a band, and getting experience on stage.

Yes, although from what I understand, it's always play first. The key seems to be to let them discover the joy of making music, then learning theory by examples of songs they have learned. I know a number of these kids were in performance high schools and half a dozen who went to Berklee, probably the best music college in the US, so they had to have a strong base in music theory and composition.

Absolutely! All of the AllStars, the very best in the program, have been leading bands for years. If you're 12 and can get a bunch of 8 year old kids to play a song that will be recognizable as music, there is nothing the record industry can throw at you that will phase you.

And this will probably annoy some, but I object strongly to those who say "Just throw them in a garage and let them figure it out!" The garage is a toxic environment, especially for girls and young women. By learning in a group with adult supervision, and more importantly, practicing every week for three hours with adult supervision, girls and young women are able to develop in ways that are just impossible in a garage. Unless you're Chrissy Hynde, you're not going to be assertive enough to get a bunch of boys or young men to take you seriously. But with an adult guiding everything, everyone can achieve their best. I know some will object and call it "PC" but the proof is in my videos, where half of the best musicians are female.

WilliamWes and William Smart like this.
  6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

That toxic environment has another name. It's called the real world. There's nothing to stop them from forming an all-girl garage band.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

I can show you dozen of young women who can play any style of Rock music as well as any young man, and reality is that female musicians barely existed for decades of rock music. Bands like Fanny, then later the Bangles and the Go-Gos were rare. There are sociological factors that discouraged young women from forming bands, or being taken seriously by record company executives. Even female led bands like Heart had to deal with some downright offensive nonsense from their record company.

And anyway, why should they be ghettoized into "all-girl garage bands"? My point is that the young women I know have been part of a band as peers with young men since they were as young as eight, and have survived all the self-doubt of adolescence to become confident musicians.

8. William Smart

I've seen many never get out of the garage. Not even to be in a bar band. Male & Female kids in a structured, supervised environment, learning to work with others, cooperate with others will go further in music and life. Life is not the garage. I reiterate, only a very small percentage of musicians make it out of the garage. That's a shameful waste. Of course there are those who will say I'm totally wrong and that's ok cause I'm not, I'm 100% right and so are you. I had a friend in the 70s that went to Berkley, on the ride up there he played sax. Best sax I ever heard. Tim G where ever you are hope you're still blowing as sweet as that day. Peace brother

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. William Smart

a shame, some of the best musicians I've ever heard were women. hopefully that will continue to change now. not enough women in Rock if you ask me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

What kills garage bands? The things I can think of right off hand are:

It's hard to get everyone in the potential band to commit the time to practice.
    Not everyone has the same level of commitment.
    There are usually no experienced musicians to fairly evaluate their progress.
    Some people just don't have access to a garage.

The kids in the School of Rock have weekly three hour practice sessions.
    There will be from 12 to 25 kids in a program, so there is always someone who can pick up the slack.
    All the teachers are professional musicians who want the kids to have fun, but also want to do the music justice.
    The schools have a bunch of well-insulated rooms.

The kids often hang out at the school when they're not doing lessons or practices (garages are rare and precious things in the city of Chicago.)

Stormrider77 and William Smart like this.
  11. Radio Jammor

That sounds like something that needs changing rather than adhering to.

Except perhaps that this is probably not what they want to do, and choice is a good thing, wouldn't you agree?

William Smart and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Anybody here know about DNCE? They trade on being a rock band, but with obvious pop currents in their music (the biggest hit they've had is Cake By The Ocean).

Klen7000 likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I'd just like to see more rock bands with the composition of this one - equal number of male and female. You know, just like in the real world.

14. Radio Jammor

15. Chris DeVoe

Not connected. There are plenty of individual schools that have adopted the School of Rock formula, but they lack the one thing that I think is most valuable, a "major league" that the very best in the program can aspire to. There are more than 200 SoR locations in 9 countries (United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, Panama, South Africa, Philippines, Brazil & Chile) and the AllStars videos have featured kids from many countries.

I've shot more than a dozen locations, and every one has one or two really amazing musicians, enough pretty good ones to form a band to gig around town, and a whole bunch who may or may not continue in music the next year. If there aren't a number of locations the very best will get bored by not being challenged, and I can't imagine that any single school will ever produce musicianship the caliber of the best I have seen. They need something to shoot for.

William Smart and Radio Jammor like this.
  16. William Smart

Another great video Chris. I love these kids. How anyone could doubt their talent or potential is beyond me. Maybe they're not musicians or involved in any way that they can see what it takes. It's not "giging" in your parents garage or basement that gets you there.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Thank you. Lia Spanos, the blonde girl with the white guitar, just knocked me out, and the audience (composed mainly of local School of Rock students) was equally impressed. This team was assembled and led by Andy Levenberg, and he comes up with some of the best and most challenging programs for the AllStars.
    If I could do one thing, it would be to get more members of the public to these AllStars shows. Tickets are usually $10, and it's usually a wide range of music with incredible musicianship.

18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

That was beautiful to watch! With all of the bad influences out there it's great to see these young kids channeling their energies into something so creative. They're really into it.

Chris DeVoe and William Smart like this.
  19. William Smart

I just watched that again. Lia is very good. Better than any garage band grads I've known. I've played in bands doing progressive rock, I know what to look & listen for. If these kids continue in their discipline they can go far. I would love to hear the bass player, drummer on something else. That song didn't really highlight their instruments enough I'd also like to hear the keyboard player with the long hair too. But all in all very good especially Lia she's got a future in music if she do chooses. Thank you again Chris I dug that a lot.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Glad to make it available. As this show met my sales goal, I put the whole concert up on YouTube:

The set list included Kansas, King's X, King Crimson and Zappa.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Quick reminder that this is not the forum where we troll for heated discussions of the hot-button political and social issues of the day. We now return you to your regular music discussion programming.

Thanks!

22. William Smart

We have two venues in Fairfield Stage One & The Warehouse. I'm gonna start calling and bugging them. Lol I did that for Steve Hackett. Then maybe 45 minutes away is the Ridgefield Playhouse. They've attracted some decent acts there. Yngwie Malmsteen just played there. So I'll be watching for them now. I like them a lot and so does my wife. We both want to see them. Thanx again for the heads up on them. Pax

Radio Jammor likes this.
  23. William Smart

We actually have a School of Rock in Fairfield that's placed several kids in the all stars. I'm inspired to find out if or when they perform again.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Here's the Fairfield House Band playing Return to Forever's Duel of The Jester & The Tyrant

I can't imagine anyone who can play like that not pursuing a career in music.

jay.dee and William Smart like this.
  25. William Smart

Truly gifted! Agree 100%, talent like that should not be wasted in any other field of endeavor! I went on Fairfield's site but I didn't see any performances upcoming so I will give the school a call, or drop by I live all of ten minutes away, lol why be lazy about it

Chris DeVoe likes this.