Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Ant-Man is a more marketable character than Black Panther, though... even though he isn't a high profile superhero people pretty much know what he can do from the name, and the trailers showed you that he shrinks, and it looked fun. The appeal of the concept is pretty obvious. It could draw in people who don't religiously watch every Marvel film (they do exist, I know some). So they didn't really need to build him up over two earlier movies.

Whereas Black Panther.... his superpower is.... he's black? I've seen Civil War and Ultron and I can't remember! Of course a black superhero has other kinds of appeal but I think the character lacks a hook, power-wise.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    budwhite likes this.
  2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I really liked him in Southland Tales. And one day who knows you might even be able to vote for him.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse teaser I saw looked dreadful. I thought it was a fan-made goof that someone put together for YouTube using 1990s flash animation tools. The final animation will have to be a lot smoother than the trailer if they are going to get me into a theater to watch it.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Black Panther's powers are comparable to Captain America's. Saying that his superpower is that he is black seems weirdly reductionist.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  5. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Why isn't this straight to video like the superior DC animated movies??

6. Squealy

Sigh. I'm not saying his superpower is being black... I'm saying, it's not so clear what it is.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

There's always lots of fascination & attention towards Jean & the Phoenix, the whole good girl (& Jean was like as good as it got back then) gone bad/reborn. I hope they do the material justice, it deserves it. The Last Stand surely didn't, too rushed in retrospect, but I still did enjoy that film even if it wasn't in the same league as the pervious installments

ianuaditis and Jim B. like this.
  8. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I enjoyed the book a lot, and was looking forward to this one. But the trailers have left me uninspired. They seem to be straying considerably from the source material (despite the author having worked on the screenplay).

When was the last time Spielberg had a bonafide blockbuster hit? He's made some really good movies in recent years, but he's not really the "event" moviemaker he was in the 70s/80s, that's for sure.

9. Mr. Grieves

I mean, to simplify it, he fights well, comes from a place in Africa where the tech is literally out of this world. He's royalty. Not too different from Batman (what's his power again?). Its marvel, it'll most likely do fine at the box office, they got some great talent in it & the trailer looked great. He had a pretty prominent role in Civil War I'd be surprised if it fails.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  10. Squealy

The second trailer had more scenes that were drawn from the novel.... the first trailer didn't really reference the competition that the whole story hangs upon at all.

I think it's a bit like IT... they probably had to change some of the scenes that depend on pop culture references. Like, I doubt he's going to act out the plot of War Games in this movie.

11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Personally, that's part of the appeal to me. I like superheros who have to rely on their wits and talents rather than just relying on lots of special gadgets or supernatural powers.

I think Black Panther will do just fine. He has a rather cool/badass vibe about him that I think will draw a lot of people in. And, yes, like Wonder Woman, I think he represents a heretofore marginalized/under-represented demographic in the whole superhero movie genre.

Stormrider77 and Mr. Grieves like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the prediction for BLACK PANTHER at the box office?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  13. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Agreed. They definitely substituted more popular characters/references for a broader appeal. The book was clearly aimed at people my age (I'm 45) who actually grew up in the 80s and experienced all of this stuff first-hand. The movie seems to be aimed at a younger audience and what their perception of the 80s (and beyond) was about.

14. Squealy

Well I don't know that the book was aimed at an older audience... it's a YA book and seems to be pretty popular with younger readers. The author is 45 though, so he's referencing his own nostalgia.

I'm just thinking they must have made changes because of the tangle of rights issues.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's the big surprise to me: how much better Johnson is at comedy than at other genres.

His career is built around action flicks, but he's actually been more convincing in the comedies, methinks.

I first had to admit he had talent when I saw "Be Cool". Not a good movie overall, but he impressed in that comedic part...

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Yeah, we know, we know - you've never been wrong about anything! ;)

Isolated opinions aside, many did predict "GotG" would struggle to find an audience - obscure characters, no big stars, etc.

Yet it became a smash - and that was without all the pre-release connective tissue "Black Panther" got.

I don't think "BP" will reach "GotG" levels of ticket sales, but I think it'll be at least in "Ant-Man" range.

Someday MCU will produce a bomb, but I don't think it'll be "Black Panther"...

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

As Vidiot notes, "The Post" comes out soon - that's what I guess you'd view as a "real movie".

Spielberg cleanly alternates between "blockbuster-type" flicks and dramas.

Including "Ready Player One", only 3 of his last 7 movies were "CGI things": "RP1", "BFG" and "TinTin".

The other 4 - "Post", "Bridge of Spies", "Lincoln" and "War Horse" - were dramas.

BTW, Spielberg made his career on action and/or fantasy movies - those weren't "real movies"?

Zoot Marimba, budwhite and Vidiot like this.
  18. Oatsdad

He's black... and he's proud. That's an unbeatable mix! :D

Seriously, I didn't remember an explanation of this powers in the movies either, but Wiki claims they did offer some info:

"In the film, he is shown displaying enhanced speed, agility, strength, and durability, which he gains from ingesting the Heart Shaped Herb, as in the comics. His suit has retractable claws and is made of a vibranium weave, which can deflect heavy machine gun fire."

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  19. Mr. Grieves

Yeah I think Black Panther is a great character. I hope the movie is great, & it most likely will be as Marvel is just so damn consistent at making entertaining films. Lots of potential with that character

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Oh, I'm predicting Black Panther won't do very well -- at least, not nearly as well as the other Marvel movies. But my acquaintance has stuck up for it and has said it'll surprise people. It's a guess -- the movie isn't done yet. I'd love to be wrong: a movie that does well is good for the studio, it's good for the theater owners, and it's good for the fans. There's no down side, assuming it's actually a good film for critics as well.

Don't forget Bruce Wayne's power in Justice League: "he's rich!" :cool:

21. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

And yes Rampage will bomb badly. I barely remember the video as kid...
    back then?. Dwayne's career is not going well.. bad choices..

22. Oatsdad

Define "won't do very well" in this circumstance...

BadJack likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

You mean "bad choices" like the "Fast and Furious" franchise?

Or the big hit "Moana"?

Oh, and Johnson was the highest paid actor in 2016 and is the 2nd highest paid in 2017.

So yeah, you got it - his career isn't going too well! :rolleyes:

BadJack and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think Black Panther will be very lucky to hit $400M worldwide. I believe that will make it the lowest-grossing Marvel film produced by Disney/Marvel.

Have you seen The Rock in Jumanji? :sigh:

25. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Fair point on Iron Man 3 if you're talking personal enjoyment, box office, you're dead wrong, made over $409 million. And Marvel had nothing to do with the FF remake so that point is dead in the water.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.