Onkyo C 7030 CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tullman, Sep 11, 2011.

1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

No idea, try it both ways and see what you like better? Also, Wolfson no longer makes that DAC chip so Onkyo started putting AKM chips in the C-7030. Dunno if they also changed chips for the A-9010. I guess it would depend on when your units were manufactured to know what DAC they have, short of opening up the hood to find out.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  2. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I had both units before and I thought the analogue outs of the 7030 where better.

kevinsinnott and patient_ot like this.
  3. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

The cd player (c-7030) says March 2017. The Amplifer (A-9010) has no date printed on it. Thank you.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Wouldn't be surprised if the CDP has the AKM. Only way to know 100% is to open it up.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  5. kevinsinnott

I may be adventurous. Meanwhile, I'll do a listening test. Sounds good so far, connecting it to the Onkyo A-9010, which presumably uses the Wolfson chipset.

6. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I have exactly the same setup. I use the analog out on the 7030. I never tried it any other way. I just assumed it would sound the same either way.

patient_ot and kevinsinnott like this.
  7. I use to prefer the on-board D/A conversion in amplifiers, first because at the output of the amp's D/A the analogue section is supposed to be custom made for the preamp section of the integrated amp, matching impedance and output levels for example, while the analogue output of a CD player has an analogue section tuned to be kind of a "one size fits all" so it can match with a great number of integrated amps or preamps. Also as D/A, preamp and amp is all done on a single chassis I think it may be less prone to outer interference. But that is just my opinion and can be wrong.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  8. kevinsinnott

Thank you, Kiko1074. I think the same thing. It just seems like the signal path is less and it's best to keep the signal digital as long as possible, all things begin equal. As I no longer know for certain that the Onkyo c-7030 I purchased has the Wolfson DAC chip in it, and the Onkyo A-9010 identifies that chip as being its onboard DAC chip, I supposed I'm inclined to regard it as the likely superior chip to use. I've listened to it both ways, and while I can't honestly point to a clear difference in my limited samples, I certainly think it sounds great sending the digital signal over coax from the CD player to the amplifier. I may do some more testing and I may even crack open the CD player to see which DAC it really has.

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the combination.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  9. You're very welcome. I really hope you enjoy your CD Player/integrated amp combination, sounds like a winning combo.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  10. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yeah, that was mentioned awhile back. Unfortunately it doesn't tell us much, especially since Wolfson no longer exists as a company and the company that bought them out no longer seems to be making that DAC chip. The only way to know with 100% certainty is to open your unit.

12. kevinsinnott

I contacted Onkyo's Customer Service on Facebook right after the holidays. I explained I had a C 7030 cd player and A 9101 integrated amplifier and then explained what's been described here regarding which has which digital-to-analog conversion chips. After a delay I received this message: "Hello. It is true that there are newer revisions of the C-7030 in which do not use the Wolfson DAC. I have checked engineering and have found that the A-9010 has not changed revision and still uses the same DAC (Wolfson WM8718 DAC). -DH" Given this, I had continued using the C 7030 player as a transport and accomplish D-A conversion in the amplifier. It does verify that the 7030 no longer uses the Wolfson DAC. Too bad.

Radio and patient_ot like this.
  13. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Well-Known Member

I realize this thread is a touch old (at least it's from this year :D), but I curious about people's opinion given what sounds like the recent changes to the Onkyo 7030. I've lurked around this site for quite a while but decided to register to post this.

Looking for a new CD player for my office, I was pretty set on the 7030, great bang-for-the-buck based on everything I've read - my plan was to use headphones, like some extra-stashed-in-a-drawer HD-558s, figured the 50 ohm would work well with the modest headphone amp - might eventually use a set of powered speakers (AE A5+). I kind of cross shopped it vs. the TEAC P650 - both have headphone amps with volume, solid DACs, seems like decent build quality - price is pretty much the same.

Now I'm reading here (and a few other places) that the Onkyo might not have one of the major pluses, the Wolfson DAC.

So if that is the case, and it now has an AKM sourced DAC (or something else entirely), would the TEAC be a better option since it's very good and more of a known quantity? I mean, I could get both, audition them, but this is really more of an extra setup, I don't want total garbage, but I think there's plenty of expertise here to point me in the right direction.

As just find of a general FYI I listen to Alt/Rock/Prog-Rock, a little electronic, some ambient (on any given day I might circulate through R.E.M., Tool, Brian Eno, Radiohead and some King Crimson).

14. MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX Well-Known Member

Decided against the "unknown DAC " of the C7030 (even if buying a refurb), and went with the TEAC P650, seems like a great buy based on review, features, for $139 new delivered to my door. I briefly considered the Tascam CD200, but it appears it's twice the price for some features (including the rack mount) I didn't need.

Don't know if people are interested in my perspective after I get chance to listen to it over the weekend, but I'll post something anyway :D

15. kevinsinnott

I had an online discussion with a sales person at accessories4less today. Mark, their sales person, insisted that Onkyo uses the Wolfson DAC, which he claims they still advertise on the Onkyo site (I haven't verified this myself) and their site. When I told him that I that an Onkyo representative told me that they had switched to AKM dacs, he insisted I give him a link. I did better than that. I found the message thread on FB (I'd contacted Onkyo through their FB page) and copied and pasted it for him (I actually photographed it with my phone). Here it is:

Kevin: I just purchased an Onkyo C-7030 CD player. I also own an Onkyo A-9010. Both are reputed to have Wolfson DAC chips but some online are telling me the CD player now has an AK4482 chip in it. Is this true? Does the A-9010 still use the Wolfson chip in it? This is a big reason I purchased it. Thank you for any help you can provide.
    [​IMG]
    Hi Kevin, thanks for your message. We are not here right now, but we'll get back to you soon!
    JAN 31ST, 10:14AM
    [​IMG]
    Kevin: Hello. It is true that there are newer revisions of the C-7030 in which do not use the Wolfson DAC. I have checked engineering and have found that the A-9010 has not changed revision and still uses the same DAC (Wolfson WM8718 DAC). -DH
    Kevin
    Thank you. As I'm using the amplifier's DAC for CD playback, looks like I'm still getting the Wolfson's quality. The CD player is just being used as a transport. Again. Thank you.
    FEB 1ST, 8:47AM
    [​IMG]

After I sent him this exchange, he responded that he still didn't believe it was someone at Onkyo. Obviously, I can't know who responded but I did not fabricate the company logo and I did indeed reach them through their FB page.

BTW, in our listening tests with my friend and recording engineer, John McCortney, we both clearly preferred the Onkyo C-7030 played through the DAC of my Onkyo A-9010 amplifier, presumably with the coveted Wolfson DAC, over its internal presumably AKM. John simply said the Wolfson sounded more 3D.

MaskedRacerX and Jerryb like this.
  16. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Bought a used one. Couldn't be happier. Still use my Atoll 3100 mk 3.Both sound different. But I'm comparing a old Atoll to a new player only reason for charge was wanting to try a different player. Atoll has minor problem with drawer. It's been going strong for 15 yrs. 15 trouble free yrs minus drawer hiccups is dam good for a player. Atoll is good products. I doubt a lot have even heard of atoll.But that said unhappy with the Onkyo.

OasisFan likes this.
  17. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Same for me on power cord. But believe me it really doesnt bother me.

18. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Amps have and will be sought after for years. Onkyo is a good audio company.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  19. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Drawer problems started years ago. Just have to manually push drawer in.Better then having to pull out.Not that years matter but 15 or so years is a decent run anyway for a cd player.

20. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

I bought both the Onkyo C7030 and the Teac P650 Cd players to compare. I much preferred the Burr & Brown chip in the Teac and its sound. The Onkyo player sounding much more "clinical" and the Teac having much more "meat on the bone". So it sort of depends on what you prefer, I sent the Onkyo back.

PS > both companies are (or were, pre-bankruptcy) owned by Gibson Guitars.

bruce2 likes this.
  21. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

The little bit of darkness and I mean very little bit of darkness in the onkyo,takes away any clinical sound.I hear stuff in background ,with Onkyo that I didnt hear in Atoll. But if a 100 dollar player can do that it's pretty impressive.

22. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

I bought one just cause of the hype.But it's really bottom line a very very good player.I can compare it to my Atoll cd 100 mk3. A $1500 player.and I'm not sure Onkyo doesnt be at it.

23. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Where'd info come from on dac???????

24. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

I have three Kyocera's from 1986 that all still function perfectly. I've had to remove some dried grease from the transport gears and re-lube but other than that 30 years = damn good to me. :agree:

25. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

My 7030 says May 2017. Do I have the Wolfson or AKM DAC?

cjc likes this.