Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

To be completely honest,I have absolutely never had any contact or even read all of that Zeppelin inside collecting stuff!:D I don`t know who freezer is what RO is who dave Lewis is.What is still hoarded.
    Maybe I should have had a lot of fun investigating all of these things from what people tell me.
    I never cared and I`m really surprised it took this long for those Zeppelin companions discs and whatever may or may not come out next year.

Sean and fozl1986 like this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I've always wanted the second "Destroyer" night on vinyl but the copies I've seen online are too rich for my blood...
    Freezer (real name: Arthur Parr; "Freezer" was his online moniker for reasons I can't remember right now) was a taper from the New Orleans area- if the act played NOLA/Baton Rouge, chances are Freezer taped 'em. But he despised the whole idea of bootlegging, so a lot of his recordings don't circulate, which didn't stop him from endlessly bragging about said recordings online, which made him more than his share of enemies over the years. The ones that do circulate generally sound excellent, though: "He had the personality of a rabid pit bull but the mofo knew how to tape!" was one way he was eulogized online (he died a few years ago).

RO is the Royal Orleans Led Zeppelin fan forum site. Quite a few hardcore collectors frequent there, and since the site's inception have brought quite a few hitherto unknown/uncirculated recordings to light.

Dave Lewis is basically Zeppelin's version of Mark Lewisohn- Dave runs the Zeppelin fan 'zine Tight But Loose.
    Probably better to stay ignorant on that score, Steve. Once you start investigating the shenanigans some Zeppelin collectors have gotten up to over the years (Google "Freezer's Revenge" for example) you will not be able to look upon Zeppelin fans, collectors or possibly even the band's music itself the same way again. I freely admit that for myself the more I read about all that stuff the more it actually turned me off of the band. And do or die Zeppelin fanboys/girls can be just as annoying as do or die Beatles obsessives in my not so humble opinion...

DrBeatle, Roberto899, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  3. RangerXT

RangerXT Forum Resident

For those who want to know the original forum "Freezer's Revenge" refers to, you can find it here:
    The Traders' Den

4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Oh yeah, I am no drummer and I still found this ridiculous

Great video breaking down John Bonham's drumming

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I was friends with someone who was close to several well known 80's bootleggers and they knew that if you slapped a picture on a cd and used a horrible gen tape, Zep people would buy it. I was shocked when he'd play me some stuff that they were putting out. The quality was just awful. He also used to say that the Japanese bootleggers' stuff would lok absolutely fantastic, so that people would buy it no matter what the cd sounded like, just to have the cool graphics.

ohnothimagen and RangerXT like this.
  6. Freezer was one of the biggest jerks in world history. I'm sure his posts are still archived somewhere from various message boards.

Fullbug and RangerXT like this.
  7. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

So when do you think this stuff will come out around October 2018?
    Oh God!I hope it`s multiple sets of music with several different release dates like the previous super deluxe sets.
    I liked that those were released apart and could be bought as smaller vinyl or cds sets too.

RK2249, Sean and RangerXT like this.
  8. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

These guys (Plant especially) live in a fantasy world if they think their 'current' music is ever going to be as revered as the LZ era. Celebrate it while 3 of the 4 are still alive...

aroney, RK2249, Roberto899 and 6 others like this.
  9. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

I need to listen to the 6 cds of outtakes I have again.

10. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Whenever I hear someone say Bonzo's work was heavy handed bashing or similar comment, I direct them to that vid. The explanation of why "Kashmir" works like it does puts the lie to rubbish about "they were heavy metal" and "it's all just guitar solos and shrieking"

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  11. Hey @If I Can Dream_23 , is this posted somewhere? I’d be very interested to check it out!

12. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I don't have it posted anywhere at this time, as I'm still touching up and analyzing loose ends (particularly the Coda companion material). Although, I believe there are a couple sources, including Wikipedia that have some general breakdowns of the differences. Sometimes not completely detailed, but they still give good overviews of the most significant differences.

I will try and post mine when fully completed. Maybe as a part of my "Fantasy Deluxe Boxes" for my favorite albums (which I just realized I need to continue at some point!). :)

Isaac McHelicopter and Blue Note like this.
  13. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Off topic & FYI

Today from the LZ FB page:
    Led Zeppelin are pleased to announce that Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Paul Jones are collaborating with ReelArtPress to publish the official illustrated book celebrating 50 years since the formation of the group.

Coming 2018.

Rockstar2112, vitorbastos123 and Cake like this.
  14. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I wonder if Jimmy is being cryptic. Davis has posted online that he was mastering Zeppelin. A lot of the live Zeppelin is out there in bootleg form. Jimmy referencing to music not heard before, might mean previous material released to be issued in Blu-ray or SACD format?

15. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

You know I was never into tape trading. I got into cd-r trading right before bit torrent took off. And I have been involved in collecting and sharing a certain band's shows for over a decade now. One thing I have never understood is hoarding shows. I have those those GD Taping Compendium books and was amazed to read some of what those early guys went through. I use to read/post somewhat on the Royal Orleans board. I have an entire cd case full of Led Zeppelin shows thanks to those guys.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    ohnothimagen and Fullbug like this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

See post 228:righton: I seem to recall reading a few of yer posts in that "Freezer's Revenge" discussion over at the Den...

marmalade166 likes this.
  17. I don't think Robert wants either him or his new music to be revered like the Zep catalogue.It is the crushing weight of audience expectations that would take the joy out of a reunion tour and/or album.They proved they could do it with Celebration Day.Nothing more to be gained.They have wealth and a lifetimes worth of adulation already.Why risk devaluing the legend in a football stadium in your town?
    Robert has gotten real enjoyment out of his solo musical adventures as has the audience that has travelled with him.

18. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Just to clarify based on photographic and quoted evidence (and back up what was said earlier):
    - Only the two Osaka shows were recorded in Japan 1971. Forget Tokyo and Hiroshima.
    - Only the final three Earls Court shows were recorded. There were technical issues with the drums (bass drum) on the 23rd which probably could be fixed.
    - Robert was not sick for the Southampton January 22, 1973 show, though he was sick a few weeks before (got the flu hitchhiking on the way to Sheffield at the beginning of the month). He was in the midst of his overall decline vocally but compare Southampton to a 1975 show and it's still not bad overall for Robert.
    - No 1977 or 1980 shows were recorded to multitrack
    - I highly doubt the Copenhagen 1979 warm-ups were recorded because (1) why not use the guitar for Ten Years Gone on the DVD if they had it and (2) they were warmup shows, you don't waste money on going through the trouble on having a mobile recording setup on shows that are pretty much live rehearsals.

19. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin IV was released when Plant was 23 years old. Let that sink in for a minute.

Even Olympic athletes (gymnasts excepted) don't usually hit their life peak that early. It has to be difficult to live with.

20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Leave it be, Jimmy. Don't ruin one of the greatest legacies in rock and roll with studio barrel scrapings. Some live stuff, OK, but even then we're talking a lot of redundancy. In their decade on the road Zep set lists were more the same than not and "Dazed and Confused" (for example) didn't exactly take on new and better presentation as the years went by.

J_D__ and Spadeygrove like this.
  21. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

A couple ways to look at that:

1) Plant has won Grammy(s) for his solo work, including Album of the Year for Raising Sand

2) He doesn't really have anything to prove to the generations of fans (myself included) who weren't around in their touring heyday or were too young, etc.- he doesn't need the $$$, still plays with a crack band, makes authentic new music and does it well...

3) He can't sing Zeppelin stuff convincingly anymore.

Most every song in the O2 concert was tuned down to accommodate his lack of upper register range. And that was one show 10 years ago. No way he would be able to do it night after night at 69 years old

4) He doesn't owe Page anything.

and that's not even getting into JPJ - who has also done some very cool and innovative work way more recently than Page has...

22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

These old guys can't rock like they used to. There's, to a large degree, is young man's music. They aren't young men anymore. So just let a reunion show/tour go.

It's not the same as if Simon & Garfunkel or someone who does gentle mature pop like that reunites. These are Rock Gods. And Zeppelin's time is over. Just keep it in a capsule. Don't ask them to try to resurrect something from 30+ years ago. That's unfair.

An argument could be made for the remaining members to return to the band's more acoustic based music and ballads and re-interpret them for a live setting and live album, but then Page & Plant already sort of did that long ago.

That said, if there are any more amazing live shows from the 70s they could release as a record, they should search the vaults and put out something cool!

23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Simon & Garfunkel can't even pull it off anymore. I would rather remember these people as they were...in their prime.
    I saw Page and Plant on the "No Quarter" tour, so that's enough for me.

24. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Yeah bad example, I just meant that type of music, not necessarily S&G specifically. Yeah all these guys are old. They've done enough. Fans need to chill and just go put on the old records.

longdist01 likes this.
  25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dont think any of them think about it that way, Plant especially just seems like the type who knows how great it was but just is a musical nomad wanting to have new experiences that feels right to him. Nobody is trying to one-up Zeppelin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.