Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Fairfield public schools have a great music & Theatre arts program. A few years ago they put on Tommy by the Who. Full Band and orchestra + actors. I was blown away by the talent. The kid playing Uncle Ernie was not only courageous for taking on the role, but was immensely talented. I was really amazed by his performance. Pax

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

One of my menagerie of pet peeves is the various School of Rock locations not doing much to let anyone other than the families involved know about the upcoming shows. Every one of them has shows coming up in January, and not one of them has their upcoming dates on the web site.

William Smart likes this.
  3. William Smart

Gotta a big smile brother. Liked the kid with the gold Les Paul, I think it was a black Ibanez bass but I don't know my headstocks as well as once I did. The girl that sang the AudioSlave, the girl drummer and of course Lia. They really stand out not just performance wise, but their stage presence. I enjoy these kids a lot. Thanx bro. Peace

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

The girl with the dark hair and the black bass is from Fairfield I think.

Glad to make them available.

5. William Smart

I just got my buddy to check them out. He was in two bands with me. One classic rock and the other progressive. He was equally impressed. He plays guitar and keys. I'm just a drummer / percussionist. Lol. I dabble with keys, my greatest accomplishment in keys was figuring out Tony Banks' solo in Supper's Ready by Genesis. Spent a summer figuring it out and writing it down. I'm terrible at it, took forever. I'm drifting away again. Sorry yeah so we're going to try to go if we can get the info and it's open to the public. Is it an All Star show they do in January? OK, blood pressure meds and whatever else it is they make old folks take. Peace brother, Iam

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Regular season shows happen three times a year, and almost all of the locations hold one of them in January. Probably the best thing is to check the web site and find the school nearest you and call. Here's the schedule for the Oak Park, IL location, which has grown to be the largest one in the world:

Saturday, January 13 - Beyond the Beatles (Songs from the post-Beatles careers of John, Paul, George and Ringo)
    Saturday, January 13 - Grateful Dead and Jam Bands
    Saturday, January 13 - We Want The Funk
    Sunday, January 14 - Wedding Party
    Sunday, January 14 - The Doors
    Saturday, January 20 - Pride Show (presumably LGBT artists)
    Saturday, January 20 - U2
    Sunday, January 21 - Drum Gods
    Sunday, January 21 - Shock Rock

Regular season shows will have every single kid in the school, and performances will range from amazing to abysmal, though I haven't seen too many of those. Sometimes shows that I had no great hopes for have turned out to be some of the very best ones.

The AllStars tour happens at the end of July/beginning of August with the goal of each of the seven teams playing a large festival - Gather of the Vibes, MoPop or Lollapalooza.

7. William Smart

I see. I would still like to see the Fairfield show. As I said Fairfield public schools have a great music program. When my son was in 5th grade there was a young girl, her last name was Pasternak, not sure of the spelling, but she was a protege. Chris she played an electric violin with every bit the skill of a Jean Luc Ponty or David Cross. No exaggeration I swear. After listening to the little better than usual 5th grade level playing this little girl comes out. I would have felt embarrassed of my jaw dropped stoopified look, but every adult in the auditorium had the same dumb look. Later that year she did a show at the school where she was backed by some of the High School kids. Most excellent. This was maybe 2000-2001, too bad there wasn't a SOR then. I'll have to ask my son what became of her, they were friends through elementary to high school. I hope that incredible talent didn't go to waste, that would be shameful. I don't know, these kids amaze me. They are so gifted. You know what kind of music programs we had in the 60s and 70s. You pretty much never played popular music. I went to Catholic school until my last couple of years of high school. The Beatles came straight from Lucifer as far as the nuns were concerned. How the times have changed! Pax

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

I've seen a number of kids who were prodigies whose parents put them in School of Rock to broaden their performance opportunities. There was a kid at Oak Park named Connor Ostrow, who won a whole bunch of Bluegrass fiddle competitions. Here he is in a regular season show, playing Baba O'Reily, windmilling his arm like Townshend. Four of these kids were AllStars, and the thing that really knocked me out that that the kids are playing the keyboard part. The Who didn't play the keyboard part live! Every one of the half dozen times I saw the Who, it was a tape! Their teacher had them learn and play it, forget that it was originally generated automatically by the rhythm section of an organ.

(That's me bellowing "YEAH!" at 16 seconds in.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. William Smart

Not to be rude or anything, but the whole point of this thread is moot. I mean dozens of new Rock bands have been listed. Plus these kids prove there's a new audience for the music and they in turn will create this new era of Rock. However Rock changes in the years to come there are capable artists and eager audiences. Rock definitely is not dead, on life support or even has a boo boo. It's healthy as all Hel and in good hands with kids like these, Greta Van Fleet, Black Country Communion etc. New kids & older bands who are just breaking got it covered. The End :D ok party time ! Let's dance y'all :goodie::pineapple::bdance::wiggle:

10. Chris DeVoe

I know! Rock is fine and is in good hands - I've shot hundreds of hours of proof of that, and as Townshend wrote The Kids Are Alright!

jay.dee and William Smart like this.
  11. William Smart

When King Crimson releases the live CDs for this last tour you will definitely hear me scream FRACTURE! when it came time for an encore for the second Beacon show. A couple people here were laughing when they found out who it was. That's one song I want to hear live to compare to my last bands tape. We sounded close to Red on I think on USA. we were thrilled when we compared it as 20 something's. Here are kids some barely into their teens doing as well or better than we. Damn shame we didn't have access to technical info, instruction etc. It took a while to figure out how Fripp got his tone and sustain. We had to figure out back then by trial and error. That's one reason, other than talent, that I'm such a big fan of SOR. It makes such a huge difference in their progress. Yeah! I think they're great!

jay.dee and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. William Smart

LMFAO right on they are!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I've long said, the best cure for Old Fart Syndrome is a School of Rock show.

14. Chris DeVoe

Remember John Milner in American Graffiti who claimed "Rock'n'Roll has been going downhill since Buddy Holly died"? Wasn't true then, isn't true now.

William Smart and Galactus2 like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Feel free to use my videos in any way. Too many venues apparently think "How good can a bunch of kids be?" when these kids in the House Band and AllStars are often more seasoned pros than a lot of the "pros." There are no parents handling the gear - the kids load in, set up and tear down; I joke that they're learning the best paying jobs in music - a couple of years ago, the Wall Street Journal had an article that a top guitar tech could pull down a six-figure salary, more than most band members on a major label (see Steve Albini's "The Problem With Music".)

16. William Smart

I made a thousand one day back in the mid 70s for my friends who put together a Beatles Tribute band long before Betalmania or Rain or any of them. They needed someone to both deliver the equipment, set up and play percussion, as their drummer had gotten really sick from too much sun. So I delivered placed everything, set the drums up and ran some wires. Couple of hours work setting up maybe and then the gig was 4-4.5 hours so tops 7 hours. No breakdown it was two nights. I played longer, but made more per hour setting up. A thousand in 75 or 6 went a long way. It wasn't long after they formed in 75 that this occurred.
    75 to 78 were the best years of my life. the most fun I've ever had. Yeah I gotta start bugging those venues. They're right next to each other and owned by the same people.. one side seats maybe a thousand the other a couple hundred. That's just an estimate. Pax or should I be saying Merry Pax Max lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Declan McKenna's debut album is one of my favourite albums released this year.

William Smart and Isamet like this.
  18. William Smart

I watched a few videos on YouTube after reading your Post. while I'm not a fan of today's pop I found I didn't mind this kid as much as I assumed I would. I liked his nod to Aladdin Sane in Brazil. I'd like to see what he does in a few years when he's matured more as a songwriter. Groovy enough though not to rag on him. Peace brother, Iam

CheshireCat and Isamet like this.
  19. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

The 'Brazil' track wasn't bad for a 15 year old kid. And unlike many others there aren't about eight writers for each track on the album. He's done all the songwriting himself plus all instrumentation on the album except drums. A talented young man. Well, a mature eighteen years old now...
    And unlike most other pop from the 'yoof' its not just banal lyrics rhyming 'work' with 'twerk' or such like, covering issues such as FIFA corruption, religious intolerance, and transgender issues.
    I would like to go to a concert, but alas, I'm far too old to do so. It wouldn't seem right.

20. William Smart

Gotta admire him. Like i said I want to see what he does in his twenties. When talent like that matures it's a thing of beauty! Oh you're never to old to Rock and Roll if you're too young to die! At least that's what Ian says! Pax have a safe and blessed New Year! Iam

CheshireCat likes this.
  21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The problem is that too many people are looking backwards, instead of looking towards the future --- said the guy with the Beatles avatar.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Is the Rock generation of the Sixties and Seventies more interested in the younger generation continuing Rock...compared to previous generations being interested in their type of music being continued 40 and 50 years later by younger people?

Having said that, there's always been a wish to pass on to the younger generation treasures from the past.

Traditions.

Cultural ways.

Family favorites.

23. dmiller458

It is 40-50 years later.

24. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I actually was asking if previous generations, previous to the Sixties and Seventies generations...such as the 3o's, 40's generation...if 40 or 50 years after their youth...were they interested in young people continuing the music of the 1930's and 1940's?

25. dmiller458

You mean jazz, country, traditional pop, etc.?