Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

In one of your previous posts you said that the album covers are not really that important to you. But what happens with the original cases?

It is such a delight to me to see all the details of a cover, read the booklets ... just to feel the CD ... that I'm feeling chest pain because of what you're saying.

Hope you're not using the same tactics with your vinyls :)

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I think you misunderstand me. I'm using a double cd case and keeping all the original artwork and aspects of each cd. One of these:

[​IMG]

I can save all the paperwork and just have one cd showing on the outer and the other on the inner faces. You should not be experiencing chest pain and pressure, n0thing is lost.

JeffMo likes this.
  3. Lonson

Keith Jarrett "At the Blue Note the Complete Recordings" disc 3

[​IMG]

lschwart, Erik B., patient_ot and 4 others like this.
  4. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Sad to hear. Saw him twice both very interesting shows. Once in 2000 at the Empty Bottle (with the Steve Lacy quartet) where he had to be coaxed to come back to the stage by John Corbett to start the 2nd set and another time in 2004 at the Chicago Jazz Fest (with his Monksieland Band), where they had to cut the power to the stage because he wouldn't stop playing.

Great player.

5. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Hi Lonson,
    I can understand where you’re coming from on BC, though I never felt the same. And it would be easy to pin some of the blame on him for Fusion becoming chops over soul. But I found his skills so ridiculous and his personality playful enough to contain self-parody which leavened things. Do you still think of him the same way after all these years?
    You also said Flora Purim was part of your formative years, so I’m interested what you think about Airto and his traps playing. :wave:

Lonson likes this.
  6. Lonson

Blue, I've learned to appreciate Cobham a lot more as time goes by. After my fusion years I found his work with Horace Silver and a few others and enjoy that. And I do like a number of his solo albums, especially the earlier ones. He's an immense talent. I play/played drums too and I know what it takes to do what he does. I just like a different style--my two heroes are Kenny Clarke and Tony Williams. (Who are different one from another!)

It was actually Airto via Miles Davis and Chick Corea that led me to Flora. I love Airto, his infrequent traps drumming, his innovative and ecstatic percussion work, his joyous writing and band leading. And I had a crush on Flora back in the day. . .s she and Airto led me to Brazilian music which I love to this day.

7. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Shabaka Hutchings was in the Heliocentrics second and fourth albums.

The two Heliocentrics albums from this year are really good.

dzhason likes this.
  8. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

One of the albums Hutchings plays on

dzhason likes this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I really liked it a lot, I got Out There (in more ways than one) around the time when it first came out but I didn’t keep up with them afterwards.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Any one ever buy test pressings of an album? There was an album I’d in my wantlist and I was going to finally order it but it apparently sold out as it is no longer there. There are some test pressings of it available but I’m hesitant to order one. I figure there is no jacket for it, which I can live with, are theere other downsides to a test pressing?

11. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I first heard of them with the Mulatu Astatke. I was already a fan of Astatke from Ethiopiques Vol. 4 so that was an obvious buy. The next album was a collaboration with Lloyd Miller who I was also a fan of. They dropped off my radar after that until this year. One of this year’s album was a bandcamp album of the day.

Electric likes this.
  12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

IMO -June/July, 1967 the second quintet reaches his high point. They have never sounded so perfect and sophisticated.
    You can say it for a lot of his tracks, but Nefertiti really sounds timeless. Water babies, which I probably prefer, was recorded the same day and sounds more modern than post compositions with electric instruments.
    Just two days after Coltrane's death (July) they record: Fall. Don't know if it was related or not. But it's the most dramatic of their songs, just beautiful.

He knew what they'd accomplished and a couple of months later a new " electric" journey was starting. Very courageous of him for starting from scratch after the top was reached.
    [​IMG]
    So now playing my favorite acoustic trilogy from the complete second quintet boxset (discs 2/3):
    Nefertiti, Water Babies and Fall.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  13. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I saw them live in that era without having heard the album. I just had vague expectations of some kind of jazz & had my head blow off.

Yesternow, Crispy Rob and Erik B. like this.
  14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I hear you re the cigarettes. When I was a young man I spent an afternoon in Lyndhurst UK with the father of a friend of my dad. He was still smoking a deck a day and drinking 2 or 3 pints a day and egg and chips was his main source of food. Lovely man in his late eighties still going strong. He was a Basie fan and I learned a lot as he played me his Favorites
    Oh to have had his luck with the gene pool
    I think he lived another decade if my memory serves me well.

15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Are we talking new or used? Either way you should be able to return it if it has the wrong CD.

Erik B. likes this.
  16. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I don't know who you took to prom, but my prom date's V was anything but sealed tight. Just sayin'. :D

Erik B. likes this.
  17. OldJohnRobertson

Time for some jazz...

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Further Out
    Original 1961 US stereo pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. OldJohnRobertson

Got a refill on my martini, so time for more jazz...

Ornette Coleman - Change of the Century
    Original 1960 US pressing on Atlantic Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I really need to have them back on my radar, I like Out There a good bit but I like the 2nd album even more, especially due to the extra instrumentation, it’s extra cool, and ironic, that it turns out that Shabaka is one of the extra instrumentalists.

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Depending on the album, the upside is that a test pressing can be much more collectible and therefore more valuable. I once presented Eric Andersen (the singer-songwriter, still very active in a creative career of over 50 years) with a test pressing of his most successful album, Blue River. He was very excited about it and wondered how I got it. I only could reply, somewhere along the way.

dzhason likes this.
  21. OldJohnRobertson

Though Mingus’ time with Columbia was brief, his recordings for them were incredible.

Charles Mingus - Mingus Dynasty
    Original 1960 US mono pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I slept in this morning. I think I needed it. I feel refreshed but it's 10:00and I'm on my second (small) cup of tea.

NP Bill Evans - Another Time (Resonance) cd
    I wish I had got the vinyl version of this but I'm very happy with the sound on the cd so ot's just a fetish thing. :help:

The performance is really wonderful imo. It has that spark that is missing from the Black Forest tapes that playing in front of an audience provides.

bluemooze, jay.dee, recstar24 and 2 others like this.
  23. OldJohnRobertson

Columbia 6-eye pressings just get better with age. :righton:

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Brubeck Time (1955)
    Late 1950s US pressing on Columbia Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Lonson

The box set was still out so I popped in another one, enjoying this via the Taboo Mk IV and the Audeze LCD-2.

Keith Jarrett "At the Blue Note the Complete Recordings" disc 2

[​IMG]

alankin1, Crispy Rob, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Good to hear the comparison, I have the vinyl of another time but missed the Black Forest tapes, I love the another time. I did get the cd for the Black Forest rsd but need to put a few more spins on it.