Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

I think this was one of Noels gripes with him, he was becoming a session musician

BadJack likes this.
  2. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I think I would agree with that... it's a shame Alan was the longest lasting drummer then (four albums).

BadJack likes this.
  3. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I always thought that the song "Be Here Now" would've made the best album opener. I disagree with @Haristar about Fade In/out being a good opener. It definitely has a "middle of the record" type feel to me.

FJFP and Haristar like this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I can't really explain why I think it would be a good opener, it just feels right to me.

That seems to be one of interesting things about this album, people seem to have diverse opinions on each of the songs and the quality of the album as a whole.

5. Spear and Magic Helmet

Wow! I love this. Liam sounded particularly good. I usually don't focus on the drums too much, but Badjack has me listening to them. I don't know... I guess White is-adequate?

BadJack likes this.
  6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

He's not unskilled but he's got a pretty limited bag of tricks that he just kept going back to.

But I guess he did all right for himself, huh?

7. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I can't recall exactly when it was but I remember Noel saying in a mid-90s interview that he didn't feel like a bassline or drum pattern had ever improved one of their songs. Always wondered if Noel changed his view on that later. I also wondered if he did think that way, if he was influenced in that by being such a big Smiths fan, as it was around then that the court case was going on where Morrissey was described as thinking of the rhythm section as nothing more than session musicians.

8. Spear and Magic Helmet

Sure was lucky meeting the Gallagher's, yes. I read your post above when you said, "He's like the programmed rhythms on a cheap organ, with "Rock 1", "Rock 2", "Slow Rock," and I thought, as a musician, that's probably one of the worst things you can hear from your audience. No variation or creativity in your musical approach. Can't say I disagree with you, but luckily Noel's music doesn't ask much from a drummer. Gotta wonder what a truly skilled performer could've done with it, though, how much greater some of those great songs could've been.

9. Spear and Magic Helmet

Wonder if he said that before or after Andy Bell? I thought Andy did a really good job on bass

10. BadJack

I like what Zak Starkey did on the last couple Oasis records. It wasn't rocket science but he mixed things up a little.

But I suppose that there's someone out there who's equally OCD about Bonehead and Guigsy, and at the end of the day, Alan's probably in a nice house with a nice car while I'm at work reading about hypothetical Rush Christmas albums.

11. BadJack

Andy's a great musician but I'm glad he's back where he belongs, in my opinion, playing lead guitar through a ton of effects pedals.

I tell you, I'll be all sorts of peeved if Ride goes on hold so Andy can do an Oasis reunion...

12. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Definitely pre Bell. It was 95 / 96 or 97 as I recall.

13. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

On the Dig Out Your Soul tour before they split up ? Seems a strange song for them to choose even though I love Be Here Now and hearing them songs live.

Erik B. likes this.
  14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Not sure if this is from a different night at Knebworth but this is the live version on the Be Here Now re issue which sounds great-

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

he played that when I saw him in Phoenix last month

16. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I agree I love this song, that pre-chorus is killer!

17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Going to do BHN backwards (actually chronologically correct).

Listening to Mustique demos first.

18. That's probably the best way for an Oasis fan to view Be Here Now. It's easier to appreciate these days since Definitely Maybe and WTSMG are in the distant past. Everyone was expecting Noel to come out with his equivalent of the White Album after the mega-success of WTSMG...and instead we got an album that doesn't really have a classic Oasis single on it despite several solid songs.

I've always wondered how Oasis would be perceived today by the music press if they had released Standing on the Shoulders of Giants after WTSMG instead of Be Here Now. I think it's likely that album would have been better received by the music press and possibly fans as a bold experiment by Oasis. Be Here Now's reputation would likely be better today if it came after any album but WTSMG. The hype and expectations killed its chances.

Aftermath, Carl80 and Jeff Minn like this.
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

D'Ya Know What I Mean?
    Stand By Me
    Don't Go Away

wahht ?

Allen Michael and George P like this.
  20. I'll give you Stand By Me if I squint hard. But it's a long way down from songs such as Live Forever and Wonderwall.

Aftermath likes this.
  21. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

22. Harmonator

23. Harmonator

These 3 performances were shown on the bbc 1 documentary ‘Right Here Right Now’ which was broadcast in the run up to the release of Be Here Now.

Unfortunately the video for the Be Here Now has been taken off YouTube

The anticipation for this album was huge and for me it’s still a great record. As far as performing live goes, this for me was Oasis at their peak - Liam’s voice was amazing on this tour and Noel was on top form. After 98 things would never be the same and although I still loved the band and their output in the years that followed the magic was pretty much gone.

I wouldn’t want an Oasis reunion in the future - it would be a pale imitation of what the group were from 94-98. Those who lived through that period buying the records and watching them on those live tours will hopefully get what I mean.

Allen Michael, clarkydaz and Favre508 like this.
  24. Harmonator

25. Harmonator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.