BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Believe me, when I read anyone on this website who actually knows what they're talking about (as opposed to "I think it's digitally-sourced because it sounds digital to me", etc.), it really stands out. I guess that speaks to your comment on the quality of discussion in general, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates posters who either (a) have reliable, accurate knowledge of a record's provenance or (b) listen closely and carefully and make specific, verifiable observations about what they hear.

tcinoz and BlueSpeedway like this.
  2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I’m learning some interesting stuff on a Johnny Thunders thread at the moment. His catalogue was relatively small, and I bought some years ago, but negotiating the amount of releases these days is a nightmare!

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Your loss listening to the rants of one individual. I think his problem is partly copy of pressing dependent and fact he listens on headphones. Small anomalies are there if you concentrate but I tend to judge the overall sound presentation. I am a fussy audiophile and not all about the music BTW. I am happy with the overall presentation of these as they don't sound digital. I probably am not so obsessive as I have only owned Here Come The Warm Jets on original vinyl. I think the overall sound here is better by some margin than the Bowie reissues. Maybe the decision was made to leave minor tape deterioration rather than mess around and patch up in pro tools. If you own better sounding copies already, granted you might feel cheated but as it is I can't see 40 year old tapes sounding that much better. Main issues I had with these were individual pressing faults and Sound Of Vinyl using a useless carrier plus inadequate packaging. 6 albums returned altogether for faults or transit damage.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

You have to take a lot of stuff on this forum with a grain of salt. Let your own ears decide.

tcinoz, trumpetplayer and Mazzy like this.
  5. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, unfortunately it has become an anti-audiophile forum as much as it is, or started out as, an audiophile forum. That being said, I do appreciate honest evaluations of products that often don't live up to the audiophile re-mastering hype that accompanies new releases on vinyl and hi-res digital.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Cassius and Jerry James like this.
  6. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Warm jets was the last one I got of these reissues (45rpm versions) and i finally got round to listening to the who,e thing. It was the only one I didn’t think sounded that great. Rather uneven production and just didn’t enjoy it quite so much. That’s not to say it’s bad, just that I expected more....

7. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

This seems like a bit of a strange situation. The 2x45's are the same everywhere, the ones
    for sale in North America are the imported EU/UK editions on the "virgin/EMI" label.

Discogs has been slow to add complete details on the 33rpm versions, but yes, it appears the US and the UK/EU are different.
    This is one of those licence issues, the European ones are on "virgin" and the US is the "astralwerks" label.

There are different stickers on the jackets, the EU versions say "180 gram", the USA are listed as 140g on the preorders i've seen.

The matrix codes on the EU listed at Discogs show to be pressed at Optimal in Germany.

warm jets:
    • Matrix / Runout (Etched A): ENOLP1 / MILES ABBEY ROAD ROOM 30 BH82646-01 A1
    • Matrix / Runout (Etched B): ENOLP1 / MILES ABBEY ROAD ROOM 30 BH82646-01 B1

UK/EU: Before and after Science

• Matrix / Runout (Etched A): ENOLP4 MILES ABBEY ROAD.RM 30 BH82642-01 A1
    • Matrix / Runout (Etched B): ENOLP4 MILES ABBEY ROAD.RM 30 BH82642-01 B1
    [​IMG]

USA:
    [​IMG]
    EU/UK;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    John Barrett likes this.
  8. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

I don't want a fricking "download voucher" and don't care if it is remastered.

I simply want a well-pressed record that doesn't sound like ****e. (UK spelling)

9. John Barrett

John Barrett Forum Resident

Thanks for that. any idea where the US ones are pressed? I guess its hard to compare pressings, unlikely for anyone to have both!

10. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

These two titles have USA versions listed on Discogs. It looks to me they have the same Optimal plate numbers, as the Europe pressings,
    starting with "BH"...etc. But then there is an the additional set of stamped matrix numbers, but i'm not sure what pressing plant uses that sequence.

anyone?

USA - Before and After Science:
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A [etched]): BH82642-01 A1 ENOLP4 MILES ABBEY ROAD.RM 30
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B [stamped]): 10-83840/2557951660-A 164347E1/A
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A [etched]): BH82642-01 B1 ENOLP4 MILES ABBEY ROAD.RM 30
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B [stamped]): 10-83840/2557951660-B 164347E2/A
    USA - Taking Tiger Mountain:
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A [etched]): BH82644-O1A1 ENOLP2 MILES ABBEY ROAD ROOM 30
    • Matrix / Runout (Side A [stamped]): 10-83838/2557951691-A 164345E1/A2
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B [etched]): BH82644-O1A2 ENOLP2
    • Matrix / Runout (Side B [stamped]): 10-83838/2557951691-B 164345E2/A

11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

GZ media

12. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I bought the single LP versions of Another Green World, and Before and After Science in Europe this week,
    both copies are really badly dished. Optimal is just not getting it done right these days, their lack of consistency is frustrating.

sennj and richbdd01 like this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Absolutely! Had some terrible vinyl from them recently. In fact, I feel they are almost the worst plant on current performance.

One thing Ive noticed...they cant press coloured vinyl properly without a hideous amount of no fill.

14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

So the GZ pressings of these are better than Optimal.

I'll be damned.

sennj likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I went back to the store and got replacement copies today,
    they're even more dished than the ones I returned.
    Waste of time and money on my vacation.

16. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I'll start a GoFundMe on your behalf for the trouble.

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to hearing the reviews on the 33rpm editions once they're released here in the states. I want them, but obviously not if they're "dished".

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Um, you mean the two 33s that haven't been released yet in the USA? Because my copies of the two that are already out are flat as cutting boards and sound great. There's a couple quick spots of tape damage, but nothing anywhere near the massive dropout problem on the 45s.

19. I have two so far. Both perfect.

20. Yes they have. Well at least two of them.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Mazzy, that's what my post says! Have you been listening to Blue Moves again? :p

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Kind of skimming through this thread

So overall, 33s don't have the drop out problem that plagued the 45s for some members?

Anyone compare the 33 to the 45 sound quality wise?

23. Yeah sorry missed that. The second two come end of January in the USA.

Blue Moves gets me off balanced.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Ben Adams likes this.
  24. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

I decided to double dip on Before and After Science and picked up the new 33 rpm version today.
    My 45 rpm version of BAAS has some big dropouts that fade in and out for up to 15 seconds at a time in all the songs after Here he comes and about 2 minutes of loud pops in Spider and I.
    The 33 has only one noticeable dropout- it's one that exists on the 45 as well, during Spider and I. The rest of the 33 sounds clean to me- no other dropouts, no more noise during Spider and I at all, just the one dropout and that one only lasts for a second or two.
    Sound quality comparisons aren't my strong suit, so I don't have a ton to say there- the 33 sounds fine. The 45 has the extra low end you'd expect from a 45 rpm record, so you don't get that on the 33 . . .whether that's a plus or minus? depends on the listener's taste and system coloration, I'd say. . . .both the 33 and the 45 sound better to me than the 2004 CD release.

Mr. Grieves and Ben Adams like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.