Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist Location: Irrelevance.

Are people really THAT surprised that different players in Quo sound a bit different? I know that the ITAN rhythm section was sort of dropped on Rossi, but he and Parfitt and Bown took them on, so they must have been happy with them.

I find the whole 'How dare Rhino play a headless bass' argument laughable. It doesn't matter what type of bass he plays as long as the bosses think it sounds right.

While everyone is rhapsodising about the Frantic Four's trademark sound, remember, Rossi used to go back into the studio on the quiet and replay a number of Alan's bass parts. A good number of them.

I imagine the reason the bass and drums don't sound "too imaginative" is that Quo have a fairly tight format and that is what was required, none of that "fancy new-fangled musician stuff".

Almost Simon and zphage like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

More professionalism, possibly but I wouldn't say it's been soulless. But then I have no emotional attachment to the Frantics.

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Oh come on, that bass is rank looking! It should be burned!

I find it laughable that people are taking a few tongue in cheek comments about a silly looking bass so seriously! I don't mind Rhino but I don't think he contributes much creativity to Quo. Just a good bass player, nothing more and nothing less. No character at all in his playing.

I've been a fan for years and have
    never heard anything about Francis redoing Alan Lancaster's parts. I wouldn't be surprised if he played some bass on records if Alan was in Australia though. Which parts did Rossi redo?

Quo didn't have such a tight formula when they were great, when they were a band rather than a double act with their employees. One listen to Piledriver proves that.

Personally I don't care what Rhino's bosses think, I only care whether I like the records or not. Sadly I'm far from alone in thinking the majority of Rhino era Quo is mediocre at best, with some of it being embarrassing. I certainly don't blame Rhino though. He's a great live bassist too. He gives his all.

Ma Kelly likes this.
  4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Do you have more details on this? Which tracks or is this rumour? Very interesting, there's many bands where that is claimed and in fact clearly evident - Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd being two but i've never heard that for Quo.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  5. 12stringbassist

Francis referred to it in a number of interviews back in the day, when everything blew up within the band. He was not specific about which bass parts, but he did say that there were some songs that required a rigid rhythm, where Alan just couldn't keep it tight on bass and he had to go back in and fix them.

6. 12stringbassist

Interestingly, while looking for a Rossi interview where he mentions doing bass parts, I found this about the IR+TAN period from Rhino.

"Funnily enough, we’d actually recorded the John Farnham song ‘You’re The Voice’. It had come out three times before and done nothing, and we thought, after ‘In the Army Now’, that would be perfect; “that’s it!”, and as we recorded it, we watched it going up the charts until it was a hit, which was a real pisser. "

From Status Quo John Rhino Edwards eonmusic Interview May 2017

7. Almost Simon

Never seen that before so be interested to read. A shame they haven't indicated which tunes though.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bet they were on crap like 1982 & Back To Back (with apologies to carlwm!)

Ma Kelly and carlwm like this.
  9. Almost Simon

One of my least favourite songs from the 80's...............but I can imagine Quo doing it. Be interesting to hear their version.

10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:laughup: :tiphat:

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

So after x number of years, Lancaster suddenly became unable to play tight Quo-style rhythms? Hmmm.... more like Rossi justifying passing off his own demos as Quo songs. If indeed it is true that he played bass on some of their songs.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

It's the idea that somehow the entire rhythm section of Spud and Lancaster were unimportant to the band's sound. Rossi is a great melody writer, but to the man on the street, the Quo is all about that rhythm - change that and you don't have the Quo. So of course different players are going to play differently, but is that hard to understand why some people don't like those changes when it so fundamentally changes that band's entire sound?

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. 12stringbassist

What I said was that Rossi was unhappy with some of the bass parts in various sessions and he apparently re-recorded them to tighten them up.

I am well aware of the how the FF sounded live and can attest that their work MADE Quo what they were. Rossi had the odd issue with how they were going to sound on record. I don't for one instant underestimate their importance.

14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I do love that Back To Back is your favourite!

For a band who many put down as being 'all the same' there's a lot of varying and passionate opinions on Quo.

Merry Christmas to all the Quo fans on this thread! I love it.

carlwm, JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  15. Almost Simon

Merry Christmas to you.

Must make mention of today's sad anniversary. One year gone. :sigh:

[​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Almost Simon

Okay after posting the photo I need to hear some Quo.

Kieran White and Man at C&A like this.
  17. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

Stretch are great! Jeff wasn't part of the original formation though, but he did some great recordings with them.

That said, I do find his playing a bit... hm, maybe 'mechanical' is the right word. He sounded better live than on record, but even live his drum sound wasn't the most natural. I prefer him over Pete Kircher, but certainly find that Matt Letley was an improvement. And the band said so, too.

The 80s were not a good era for bass players all around. But I think Rhino has played some pretty amazing stuff on tracks here and there (one I've recently heard was "Tilting at the Mill"). It doesn't drive the music in the same way that Al's bass playing did, but I have no issue with it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. JulesRules

If Ian Paice suddenly couldn't keep time anymore after x number of years (just read that in the Gary Moore biography), then everything is possible...

Ma Kelly and Man at C&A like this.
  19. JulesRules

1988: Ain’t Complaining

[​IMG]
    1988: Ain’t Complaining and Running All Over the World

1. Ain't Complaining (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi?) 4:40
    2. Everytime I Think Of You (Edwards/Jeff Rich/Mike Paxman) 3:49
    3. One For The Money (Parfitt/Williams) 4:52
    4. Another Shipwreck (Bown) 3:48
    5. Don't Mind If I Do (Rossi/Edwards) 4:41
    6. I Know You're Leaving (Eric van Tijn/Jochem Fluitsma) 4:45
    7. Cross That Bridge (David) 3:31
    8. Cream Of The Crop (Rossi/Frost) 4:03 L
    9. The Loving Game (Parfitt/Edwards/Rich) 4:23
    10. Who Gets The Love (Williams/John Goodison) 5:33 L
    11. Burning Bridges (Rossi/Bown) 4:19 L
    12. Magic (Rossi/Frost) 3:52

2006 Bonus Tracks:

13. That's Alright (Rossi/Frost/Parfitt) 3:31 [B-Side of “Ain’t Complaining”]
    14. Lean Machine (Rossi/Parfitt) 3:37 [B-Side of “Ain’t Complaining” 12”]
    15. Halloween [+] (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi) 4:48 [B-Side of “Who Gets the Love”]
    16. The Reason for Goodbye (Williams/Goodison/Parfitt/Rossi) 3:54 [B-Side of “Who Gets the Love” 12”]
    17. The Greatest Fighter (Rossi/Frost) 3:56 [Studio Outtake]
    18. Running All Over the World (Fogerty) 3:30 [A-Side]

Missing bonus tracks:

1. Ain't Complaining [Single Version] 3:59
    2. Ain’t Complaining [Extended Version] 6:37
    3. Running All Over the World [Extended Version] 5:43
    4. Who Gets the Love? [Extended Version] 7:09
    5. Burning Bridges [Single Version] 3:53
    6. Burning Bridges [Extended] 5:35
    7. Rockin’ All over the World [1988 re-recording] 3:30 [US “Status Quo” LP]

Bernie Frost – additional vocals
    Paul "Wix" Wickens – additional keyboards
    Graham Preskett – country violin on “Cross that Bridge” and “Burning Bridges”

After the success of “In the Army Now” it was obvious to the record company that the band should continue, and it seems that Francis, Rick and Andy had similar intentions, even if some members later said it was the wrong decision. But honestly – I can’t imagine Rick and Alan continuing without Francis and still calling it “Status Quo”. Honestly. I mean, maybe it could have worked, but I strongly doubt that. Frame’s feel for melodies, his voice and guitar are probably one of the biggest reasons for Quo’s (continuing) success.

The folky "Burning Bridges" with its jigs (particularly effective live, when the entire crowd starts bouncing!) would turn out to be one of Quo's last really big hits, even if the production makes it sound pretty sterile. The rocking title track also achieved moderate success and was a good indication that Rick’s songwriting abilities were still in place, even if Francis sang the lead vocals on the track (Rick is on harmony).

One other noteworthy single release, which was slotted in between “Who Gets the Love?” (which is an unusual ballad) and “Burning Bridges”, was the charity single “Running All Over the World”. Still affiliated with Band Aid/Live Aid, Quo re-recorded “Rockin’ All Over the World” with the adjusted lyrics for the Sport Aid offshoot. (Tears for Fears had done the same thing with “Everybody Wants to Rule/Run the World”, though that was more of a compensation for chickening out of Live Aid…) The same backing track, with the ‘proper’ lyrics, was also used for another attempt at cracking the US market in the shape of an album simply called “Status Quo”, which otherwise consisted of tracks culled from “In the Army Now” and “Ain't Complaining”. It wasn’t a bad idea – Rhino later admitted they were trying to “sound American” with the drum sounds and all – but alas, it didn't work, once again.

“The (Greatest) Fighter” was actually intended as the title of the album, but in the end the song was shelved and didn't even appear on a b-side! The song then showed up for the first time on Francis’ solo album. This also explains the “Burning Bridges” single sleeve, since that was meant as the LP cover and would have gone well with the tile.

Interestingly, there is a bootleg with an early demo version of the entire album… which didn't only include “The Greatest Fighter”, but also the b-sides “The Reason for Goodbye”, “That’s Alright” and “Lean Machine”. The tracks “Cross That Bridge”, “I Know You’re Leaving”, “Who Gets the Love” and “Burning Bridges” (!) are nowhere to be seen! This suggests that they were added fairly late during the assembly of the album.

The rare 12"-version [of “Who Gets the Love”] features an excellent guitar solo played by Pip Williams. Co-Author John Goodison was lead vocalist of Big John's Rock'n'Roll Circus in which Pip Williams started his carreer [sic!].

Live at Wembley Arena (7.7.1988)

1. Whatever You Want * / **
    2. Little Lady - / **
    3. Roll Over Lay Down * / **
    4. Cream Of The Crop - / **
    5. Who Gets The Love? * / -
    6. Hold You Back
    7. Don't Drive My Car * / **
    8. Dirty Water
    9. In The Army Now * / **
    10. Rockin' All Over The World
    11. Don't Waste My Time
    12. Bye Bye Johnny [featuring Pip Williams on guitar]

* also on the 2-CD set, ** also on the 4-CD set

This concert was broadcast on the BBC and later released (slightly edited) on the “Live at the BBC” box set. They played more songs but only the full concert from the day before is in circulation.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm complaining.

Absolutely dreadful album by a band who have almost totally lost their identity. Ain't Complaining is an OK single. I agree with Rossi's verdict on Burning Bridges 'a lousy record but it was great live'.

A hideous album with an incredibly bad sleeve too. Track 3 in particular is embarrassing. Listen to this bollocks:

UGH! For me an all time low. But, things do get better, though the dismal moments aren't over either.

Quo's worst album.

21. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I guess it won't come as a total surprise that I rate Ain't Complaining quite highly too :agree:

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

:) Love it!

Back to Back is a masterpiece compared to this!

23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There! Fixed it for you :righton:

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I know a lot of Quo fans hate this album, but I really, really like it even if it does sound a tad dated in places. Much better than In the Army Now and definitely loads better than 1982, Back to Back and the Heat albums.

1. Ain't Complaining (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi?) 4:40 I think this is an excellent song and a great single (should have done better).
    2. Everytime I Think Of You (Edwards/Jeff Rich/Mike Paxman) 3:49 I think this is a classy little song
    3. One For The Money (Parfitt/Williams) 4:52 Very different for Quo and very good
    4. Another Shipwreck (Bown) 3:48 Much better than Andy's original version
    5. Don't Mind If I Do (Rossi/Edwards) 4:41 Again different for Quo but really good
    6. I Know You're Leaving (Eric van Tijn/Jochem Fluitsma) 4:45 Should have been the single instead of Who Gets the Love. I've always thought this was a brilliant song
    7. Cross That Bridge (David) 3:31 It's ok but not a favourite
    8. Cream Of The Crop (Rossi/Frost) 4:03 L same as above
    9. The Loving Game (Parfitt/Edwards/Rich) 4:23 It's ok
    10. Who Gets The Love (Williams/John Goodison) 5:33 Really good but not a single.
    11. Burning Bridges (Rossi/Bown) 4:19 Excellent track and a bigh hit
    12. Magic (Rossi/Frost) 3:52 Ok not great

2006 Bonus Tracks:

13. That's Alright (Rossi/Frost/Parfitt) 3:31 [B-Side of “Ain’t Complaining”] not a good one
    14. Lean Machine (Rossi/Parfitt) 3:37 [B-Side of “Ain’t Complaining” 12”] Really love this. Excellent
    15. Halloween [+] (Parfitt/Williams/Rossi) 4:48 [B-Side of “Who Gets the Love”] as above
    16. The Reason for Goodbye (Williams/Goodison/Parfitt/Rossi) 3:54 [B-Side of “Who Gets the Love” 12”] as above
    17. The Greatest Fighter (Rossi/Frost) 3:56 [Studio Outtake] Ok
    18. Running All Over the World (Fogerty) 3:30 [A-Side] bit pointless but it was for charity

Overall a really good Quo album I don't really care if a lot of people feel it's too poppy for Quo I just think it's a really good solid album

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great stuff. I don't like the album but I do like that even their most hated albums are loved by some people and are getting a proper listen by people here. I don't mind ... The Heat.

I still have my vinyl Rock Til You Drop and have only played it once, years ago. I'm looking foward to playing it when this thread gets to it. I got rid of 1+9+8+2 onwards till that one a few years ago. I daren't go back! I only kept Rock Til You Drop because it's immaculate and quite scarce on vinyl.

JulesRules likes this.