Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

It's hard to put a finger on the difference in songwriting because both have become so ingrained, but it's definitely there. It's like he got intentionally more eccentric.

(PS I enjoy the post-Beatles style more than the Beatles era style and the return to the Beatles era style now annoys me when he does it because it feels forced. It feels like he's writing to impress (Long Gone John and the teary grannies in the stadium steats) when he does the Beatle thing, and it gets on my nerves. So sue me.)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

1882 is a great unreleased Paul song. I love the length of it and the lyric poetry hidden in it that I couldn't get behind on my first few listens.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In that case, this article may be of interest to you:

The Quietus | Opinion | In Defence Of... | Paul McCartney And Wings

In discussing Macca's solo output, the author says:

... these records occupy a unique space within pop — in some ways, they're barely recognisable as pop music at all. Except in the most superficial sense, they bear no relation to the work of McCartney's contemporaries, nor to anything that came before (or has come since). ...

They're inconceivably odd, too, with their preposterous lack of purpose and unusual concerns. McCartney makes unfathomable choices, seems totally disconnected, takes countless baffling left-hand turns. .... The lyrics are so stupid, so entirely without meaning, they induce a kind of disorientation that's practically Dadaesque (“I was talking to an eskimo / Said he was hoping for a fall of snow / When up popped a sealion, ready to go . . .”). This stuff is staggering. How could an artist who was never that eccentric, at least by rock & roll standards — hardly the Everyman he'd have us believe, but certainly no loon — drift so far out, and not even know it?

,,, Musically he'd reached an impasse: nowhere to go, nothing to prove, unable (and unwilling) to stop. To his credit, he chose not to run on the spot, like many Sixties stars at the same dead end. Instead, he ran in twenty directions at once, which still takes you nowhere but looks rather strange. When the results are even vaguely coherent, we hear something that might be mistaken for The Beatles' bright eclecticism — more often, songs emerge deformed and barely functioning. And in their way, those songs are fascinating; now and then, they're truly fantastic.

4. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Give me his first 20 solo years over anything he did with the Beatles.

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Give me his last 20 solo years over anything he did in the preceding 20 (1977-1996). :righton:

6. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

No way.

Deano6, SixOClockBoos, wino14 and 3 others like this.
  7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Give me Bip Bop on an infinite loop over anything else he did (1962-2017).

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Arnie, is that you?

9. Arnold Grove

My illness is not that extreme... ;)

10. I wonder what Bip Bop would sound like as two infinite loops, playing simultaneously, with one loop slightly longer, done like an early Steve Reich piece? :D

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’ve suggested this before but one way for MPL to cover WL & RRS could be to package them together into a “Wings Takes Off” boxset covering the pre-BOTR journey as an arc. Remasters of the two albums, remasters of all ther relevant singles (and their different mixes + outtakes), a live 1972 concert or compilation, album sessions outtakes (including the Ram versions of Dear Friend, Get On Right Thing, etc.) & the unreleased tracks of original RRS double LP. Would make a killer 6-7 CD set with usual hard cover books and high resolutions downloads!

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

What’s the point if so much of these will be download tracks?:cheers:

ZippyPippy likes this.
  13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Too much Christmas egg nog last night/this morning?

14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

If I had to choose his first 20 solo years or The Beatles under duress, it would not be an easy decision. As long as I have unlimited Ebony & Ivory skips.

15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

We don't know that that will be the case. Flowers In The Dirt was a first for the Archive series in that the B sides were all originally released digitally, and have been available in that format for 28 years for anyone who was bothered enough to want to buy them.

That doesn't mean I don't think they made a mistake not putting them on disc, it surely cost Capitol quite a few sales of the deluxe set, so maybe they'll rethink their strategy in the future. But I'd be really surprised if they went download only for the re-release of an album where the B sides were not out on CD singles at the time. Flaming Pie will be the big test of what their strategy is, is there anyone out there desperate for those B sides but not desperate enough to pick the CD singles up for peanuts on eBay?...

Oyster Boy likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Just give me about 20 weeks from the last 47 years... :hide:

Sean Murdock and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Peanuts must have gone up LOL. The CD singles related to FP cost me about £30 in total on eBay after my decision to buy what I didn't have following download gate. Infact still adding stuff ten months on and really enjoying it. This week got the first two Fireman albums. Along with ordering the mini-LPs from Japan a big chunk of my music money has gone on Paul this year. No regrets whatsoever.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  18. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Yeah I bought the 4 singles from Off The Ground to get the Collected Works in the form of the actual cd singles since Collected Works hardly ever came up on eBay (I think I waited a year).
    It was not cheap....especially the "Biker Like an Icon" single. I think for the 4 I spent $50 total.
    This was in 2014/2015.

I never bothered to get Flaming Pie singles. Are there some good b-sides associated with that album?

Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

A great post, courtesy of balzac, from this thread: McCartney's Flaming Pie CD Singles - Worth Seeking Out? :

The Flaming Pie CD singles are definitely worth seeking out. It was a neat idea, one that perhaps would have been fun to see him continue to do, basically parting out outtakes as b-sides (and c-sides?) to singles, since he hasn't otherwise seemed much inclined to issue outtakes. Apparently "Return to Pepperland" nearly escaped as one of these b-sides. Here's the breakdown of previously unreleased b-sides and c-sides (tracks 2 & 3) of each single:

Young Boy #1
    -Looking For You (from the actual "Flaming Pie" sessions with Jeff Lynne and Ringo; not a great song, but probably better than "Really Love You" which made it onto the album)
    -Oobu Joobu Part 1 (includes "I Love This House", a decent upbeat mid-80's outtake from his sessions with David Foster)

(also note that the only US CD single issued, "The World Tonight", features the two above-mentioned bonus tracks from the first "Young Boy" UK CD single)

Young Boy #2
    -Broomstick (another actual "FP" outtake, with Steve Miller, and not bad)
    -OJ Part 2 (includes "Atlantic Ocean", another 80's reject from sessions with Phil Ramone, and pretty much deserving of staying in the vaults)

The World Tonight #1
    -OJ Part 3 (includes "Squid", an instrumental outtake that is a curiosity at best)

The World Tonight #2
    -OJ Part 4 (includes Paul's version of "Don't Break the Promise", sounds a bit like a demo, but not bad)

Beautiful Night #1
    -Love Come Tumbling Down (and 80's outtake from the Ramone sessions, and while sounding very "80's", it's not too bad)
    -OJ Part 5 (includes the original '87 version of "Beautiful Night", which is interesting)

Beautiful Night #2
    -Same Love (an 80's outtake, rather overproduced and sappy, but still not too bad)
    -OJ Part 6 (includes "Love Mix", from the 80's, which again sounds very 80's production-wise, but is indeed very catchy; and the "Waiting for the Sun to Shine" bits date back to the mid 70's)

20. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Love come Tumbling Down and Same Love are solid tracks from the Beautiful Night singles but the Oobu Joobu stuff across them all was the main reason I bought them having never heard any of it before. Some interesting stuff. I got the OFG Complete Works from Discogs for about the same as you paid for the individual singles.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

1962? So you'll take Bip Bop over everything he has ever done except "My Bonnie" which was released in 1961?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

....and "In Spite of All the Danger".

cwitt1980 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That's mine for sure. It went back and forth with Did We Meet Somewhere Before and 1882 for a while.

Chief and Arnold Grove like this.
  24. Arnold Grove

"Did We Meet Somewhere Before" is another beauty. It's crazy that a song of that caliber is still unreleased.

Also: Isn't there about 10 or 20 seconds of that song featured in the Ramones film Rock n Roll High School?

25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That's the story - it's heard in the film but never hit the soundtrack.

Amazing too that Same Time Next Year and Mamas Little Girl has to wait until 1990 to see release.

Twice in a Lifetime isn't half bad either....(see what I did there?)

Anyway, to Balzac' point, Macca had been disseminating his outtakes via b-sides since Spies Like Us (My Carnival) or maybe earlier (Zoo Gang?).

mrjinks and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.