Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Thanks for sharing. At last an attempt to assess Oasis on their own merits (and failings) apart from their public image at the time.

One point rings very true - the original demos are nearly as long as the final tracks. It was a huge, massive sounding work by design, and the big album that Noel secretly always wanted to make.

The way it sounds was not , at its core, a result of too much Cocaine and paranoia (although those factors sent things awry during the recording process, for sure).

At its best, listening to Be Here Now is like surfing on top of a giant football crowd on a celestial stadium terrace on Jupiter.

At it's worst, it's like being trapped at a party with a bunch of braying coked up boors, and wishing that you'd got the last bus home three hours ago.

2. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

yeah I was at the Heaton Park gig, the infamous one where the generator blew a few times and they offered a refund on the tickets. it was the highlight of the gig for me as ive heard the standard set songs a million times. like I sad it sounded great, just many in the big crowd weren't that familiar with it

Allen Michael and Carl80 like this.
  3. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Those are so much better than the released form of the album. What could have been...

4. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Good stuff mate, or not so good if you were there I suppose when the generator blew !

I was at Heaton Park on the Saturday, I can’t really remember the set list to be honest, can just remember the crowd and band being quite flat and disappointing.

Strange cause I saw Liam in Manchester last Sat and he had the whole Arena standing singing, he has defo got it back I’m glad to say.

George P likes this.
  6. Dr.D

Dr.D Forum Resident

Love love love Be Here Now. Don’t care about its ultimate failure, that period between 95-97 was so good to be young and British. Everybody had a Liam haircut, a Ben Sherman shirt, Levi jeans and a set of Adidas Gazelles. Amazing era for music.

7. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

I would argue there's not much rhythmic variety in the 1994 tracks as well.

Tony McCaroll played the same 'Supersonic' drum beat on every other Oasis song in that period - Slide Away, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Rock 'n' Roll Star, Fade Away, Listen Up, Some Might Say (his last song with Oasis), etc.

Quote below copied and pasted from my earlier post in the 'How to get into Oasis?' thread
    How to get into Oasis?

8. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

IMHO, the only time the bassline has been interesting (or shall I say, 'noticeable') in Oasis is the intro to 'All Around the World', and the intro to 'Cast No Shadow'...

9. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

"I think D'You Know What I Mean is great, and I think My Big Mouth is great, and It's Getting Better (Man) is great, and All Around the World, but if I had my time again they wouldn't be seven minutes long each."

10. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

The released version of BHN is a fascinating, glorious mess. It's like the ultimate parody of a bloated, cocaine-bleached rock album. Unlike previous Oasis albums, I don't think you can really improve the album by swapping in B-sides; sure, Stay Young and Going Nowhere are better than many of the songs on the final album, but they also don't fit in, sonically speaking.

The only tracks that I always feel the need to skip are The Girl In The Dirty Shirt, Fade In-Out, and the reprise of All Around The World. The rest all have their moments, especially My Big Mouth and Don't Go Away (I'll put the latter up against any Oasis song for sheer emotion and melodic beauty).

Rocketdog and Favre508 like this.
  11. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

best song on the album

12. Regarding the drumming on those first few Oasis albums, I always felt that Tony was holding the rest of the band back somewhat, and I'll never forget hearing Alan play for the first time - he brought a sophistication to the "Morning Glory" album that made me look forward to Be Here Now even more than I already was. Of course, all that changed after a few plodding fills, followed by the opening track being constructed around a drum loop from NWA's Straight Outta Compton. Sure, there was still a degree of the classic spark left on the subsequent tour, but it didn't take long for any group dynamic to fall apart. Long before its release, I knew that "SOTSOG" was built up from embellished Noel solo recordings, and the Wembley 2000 shows had Alan looking very bored for most of the time. Force Of Nature and Better Man from Heathen Chemistry both used drum machines, and it doesn't seem like much longer after this when Alan finally left, his drum stool taken over by a revolving door of talents who never seemed to truly settle. However, maybe a lot of that is because even the Gallagher brothers were phoning it in by then. Liam's voice (which has thankfully recovered to a degree) was on a major decline, and Noel clearly had one eye on a career beyond Oasis. Maybe that turbulence was always there, but for a short while, Alan seemed like the best thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately, he quickly proved to be something of a one trick pony, so to speak. Then again, what did Bonehead, Guigsy or even Andy Bell really get to do, for that matter? Liam might have brought his older brother in to begin with, but I suspect Noel would have done everything himself much sooner if he'd been physically able to...

gja586 and boiledbeans like this.
  13. Ringo's kid was the best Oasis drummer.

14. Haristar

I totally agree.

15. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident

The Oasis documentary Supersonic is being broadcast on BBC Two tonight, at 10.00pm.
    BBC Two - Oasis: Supersonic

Here's Tom Stroud's in-depth interview with its director, Mat Whitecross. Enjoy! Cheers again to Mat for being so generous with his time.

[​IMG]

Part 1 - This is History: Mat Whitecross on directing Supersonic | Oasis Recording Information »
    Part 2 - Chasing Yesterday: raiding the archives for lost footage | Oasis Recording Information »
    Part 3 - Up on the Silver Screen: Supersonic’s Final Cut | Oasis Recording Information »

PhantomStranger and Carl80 like this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It is a great documentary, I went the cinema to see it, the sound was amazing in the cinema. It’s a treasure trove for Oasis fans, bits in there I never even new existed like Liam singing Sad Song in perfect quality, I’m still wondering how they got hold of that as it’s never leaked on the net as far as I’m aware.

Luke The Drifter and Harmonator like this.
  17. Haristar

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (2000)
    [​IMG]
    Track listing:
    (All tracks written by Noel Gallagher except where noted)

1. ****in' in the Bushes
    2. Go Let It Out
    3. Who Feels Love?
    4. Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is
    5. Little James (Liam Gallagher)
    6. Gas Panic!
    7. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
    8. Sunday Morning Call
    9. I Can See a Liar
    10. Roll It Over

PhantomStranger and George P like this.
  18. Haristar

Go Let It Out (2000)

Released: 7 February, 2000

Track listing:

1. Go Let It Out
    2. Let's All Make Believe
    3. (As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell

19. Haristar

Who Feels Love? (2000)

Released: 17 April, 2000

Track listing:
    1. Who Feels Love?
    2. One Way Road
    3. Helter Skelter (Lennon/McCartney)

20. Haristar

Sunday Morning Call (2000)

Released: 3 July, 2000

Track listing:
    1. Sunday Morning Call
    2. Carry Us All
    3. Full On

21. My take on "SOTSOG" is that it would have been a near-perfect album if only Noel had released this as a solo project, which I seem to recall once reading was his original plan. There are more than enough demos from the 1998-9 period to fill two discs, and a handful of these have yet to surface (the most interesting has to be For One So Young, since all the others were eventually made available with minor alterations in most cases). If you consider that Force Of Nature and Little By Little also date back to these sessions, Noel had plenty of quality material stockpiled to make his first LP an absolute masterpiece. Instead, the eventual Oasis effort was loaded with Be Here Now style filler such as Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is and I Can See A Liar, not to mention Liam's Little James. Q magazine argued in its review that they'd have given the results a full five stars if only Let's All Make Believe had been included as well, though you can find this as a bonus track on the Japanese edition, which still isn't quite there. By far its biggest problem is that Liam only sang on that one b-side, and I can imagine him doing justice to Full On along with possibly Carry Us All. As with so often in the later Oasis catalogue, this was the first of several missed opportunities, but we'll get to Heathen Chemistry soon enough...

YMC4 and Favre508 like this.
  22. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I've only listened to this album once, but I remember it being really uneven. it's probably my least favorite Oasis album, as the only songs I like from this album are Go let it out and Gas panic. once again Noel had some very good b sides that would have made this a much better listen. songs like Carry us all, Full on, ciggarretes in hell, and the brilliant Let's all make believe are all really good songs.

23. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

Very underrated song in my opinion. Probably the best on the album

24. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

It’s a shame how this album turned out. There were more than enough quality songs demo’d that could have made it a return to form

25. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

This album is ruined for me by rubbish like I Can See a Liar. Gallagher lyrics always smelled of a well thumbed rhyming dictionary, but "sitting by the fire"? Jeez. Though it's still not as bad as Little James' "love all your toys / even though they make noise".

Noel Gallagher said at the time he was interested in the drone riffs of the Beta Band, hence Go Let It Out, but it always sounded wrong for Oasis to me. And apart from anything else, the album's (relative) failure stopped Noel from trying anything else "weird" for ages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.