BRIAN ENO- New reissues double lps 45rpm August 4th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zwolo, Jun 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the avant-guvnor

the avant-guvnor Well-Known Member

EU or US pressing (33 rpm)?

2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

US! GZ for the win, lol.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Say what you will, but GZ seems to be doing a lot about QC in their plant. It's nice to see a representative from the plant here on this very forum, answering an occasional question or responding to comments.

richbdd01 likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Couldn’t agree more. They are much better, I’m thinking they are currently better than Optimal. Optimal seem to have a major issue with no fill right now, some of my recent experiences have been terrible. Right now, GZ and Optimal seem to be heading in different directions...

Marko K and patient_ot like this.
  5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I totally agree. Nowadays the pressings from GZ are more or less flawless. I remember only a few years ago when greasy fingerprints on a record from GZ was a standard issue- great to see that the people at GZ have listened and learned. :righton:

richbdd01 and patient_ot like this.
  6. Slightly Off topic but I’m listening to the Nonsuch 2 LP issue of the Byrne/Eno Bush Ghost album right now and it is very highly recommended. Great sounding record.

A beautiful package too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sennj, Rocat, athensdrums and 4 others like this.
  7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

I agree on the Optimal non-fill thing, actually I think every single Optimal pressed record I have bought in the last 1,5-2 years (180g) have non-fill and Im not exaggerating.

richbdd01 likes this.
  8. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just ordered that right now. I don’t know why I didn’t before but that’s given me the nudge!

Mazzy likes this.
  9. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

I spy a Cindy Sherman book, love her. Love your taste once again Mazzy :)

Summerisle and Mazzy like this.
  10. It’s really good. I missed it when it came out too but Nonesuch had a half price sale about two months ago. I splurged on a few titles.

richbdd01 likes this.
  11. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Can anyone compare the new 'Before and After Science' to the original UK Polydor ? I've got a super clean original that sounds great and I'm hesitant to re-buy yet another album if there's not a significant upgrade.

Cassius likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Sorry to stay off topic but please share your impressions as I am curious how it sounds. I did a search here but unless I missed it this reissue didn't seem to get much attention?

I recently pulled out my OG US copy and it is a Greg Calibri cut. Haven't played this one in about 18 years. I gave it a clean but haven't had a chance to spin it yet.

richbdd01 likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Damned, what an eye for detail. That's why I always doublecheck any photos I'm about to upload. One doesn't want to overlook his own reflection, gotta keep the secret identity from the Batcave.:unhunh:

BlueSpeedway and Mazzy like this.
  14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I usually consider a recommendation from Mazzy as good enough for me on sound quality. It sounds like an interesting and well done reissue of an album I’ve never heard. Amazon has it at $23.95 which is an excellent price for a nonesuch double LP. Well worth a try in my estimation.

Mazzy likes this.
  15. Byrne/Eno: It sounds great. Wonderful soundstage and amazing bass without sounding bloated or over the top. It feels fabulous and is better than I would have guessed.

Heavy cover stock and great printing. Side four contains some of the barren sources that I think were on the expanded CD. Not necessary but cool to fill up the last side.

I’ve been playing the Bush Ghost Record a lot. A solid issue.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  16. Ralf Walter

Ralf Walter New Member

I just bought all 4 of these. Already had 'Before' on EG and also 'Another Green World'. I'm no major fanboy BUT these are some of the most spectacular pieces in my collection. They look gorgeous and they sound even better! Yes it's a tad annoying that they are 45rpm, I give you that. However they do have a free digital download for when you want that all-at-once-listening-without-getting-off-your-couch experience. For me - I'm super happy with these. They were a tad steep on price but they seem worth it (to me).

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

"They look gorgeous"? The new Donald Fagen box looks "gorgeous", very nice replicas of originals. These Eno reissues.... well.... they look like too many modern reissues. Blurry. Not as good as vintage copies. But maybe the OBI detracts the eye. A little.

18. irwin69

irwin69 Forum Resident

I did some comparisons earlier in this thread with UK 1st pressing. Search my user name as it is spread over a few posts. As I have mentioned elsewhere I have bought a few of these Abbey Road Half Speeds where I have original UKs and in most cases these are very close to the originals. I would not however class them as audiophile improvements the way that most of us think of Mofi, AF, AP, ORG etc.

My recommendation is therefore to stick with the UK originals if you have EX+/NM copies. The only Eno title I would be interested to hear now in 45rpm is 'Apollo' but in reality I'd prefer it if someone like Audio Fidelity did it based on their (33rpm) Blade Runner soundtrack.

Cassius likes this.
  19. Ralf Walter

Ralf Walter New Member

I just compared my Green EG to the reissue - identical. Up until recently I had an EG Science and the reissue also looked as good. But i cannot speak to the others. But, like you said, "modern reissues... Blurry" - that is usually the case, sadly.

baconbadge likes this.
  20. If the 45 rpm is anoying ( and I would agree ) , why didn’t you go for the 33s. I have two so far. They sound great and are cheaper.

21. Ralf Walter

Ralf Walter New Member

To be perfectly honest - these were my first 45rpm albums and I was really caught up in the excitement of just being to grab brand new copies than the annoyance of the flippety-flop. I still have my 33 of Green and recently got rid of my original of Science. Never had the others on LP. However - when/if I see them I'll likely grab them. I do not mind the Eno listening experience with the 45's when I am alone but if my wife and I are trying to enjoy the tunes together it' best to reduce the trips to the turntable. :)

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Neonbeam

You realise that you are talking about reissues, right? An EG "Green World" would be from the 80's.

But we've had this discussion before. And after. Science. In fact now threads get closed because they start to move in circles. So now for something completely different :whistle:

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  23. Ralf Walter

Ralf Walter New Member

Apologies. Tough crowd here.

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

Haha..... people well above 40 have certain tendencies. I mean... that's what I read. I wouldn't know myself yet:whistle:

tcinoz likes this.
  25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Maybe they no longer have the guy that bagged records while eating lunch. :magoo:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    GyroSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.