Chistopher Nolan Collection 4K Ultra HD |HDR [12/19/2017]

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jh901, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Blu-ray.com LINK

Batman Begins (2005)
    The Prestige (2006)
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    Inception (2010)
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    Interstellar (2014)
    Dunkirk (2017)

All seven expected to be released individually as well. There will also be a Dark Knight trilogy set.

As far as I'm aware, THE PRESTIGE will be the first back catalog 4K release from Disney/Buena Vista. Also interesting is that the set would have been coordinated among Warner, Paramount (Interstellar), and Disney.

I plan to pick up the individuals on Tuesday. Maybe not all of them at once. We'll see. Anyhow, I like slipcovers and I enjoy all of these films quite a bit.

Hoping to get some forum feedback on comparisons of 4K to 1080P Blu-ray. The big release day is nearly here!

Higlander likes this.
  2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have read reviews saying the 4k Interstellar and Dunkirk are much better than the BD, and the BDs are great!

3. jh901

I've never been too pleased with the Blu-ray presentation of any of the six films released previously. My front projection display is in the vicinity of "reference" and calibrated by one of the best. I've screened my share of Blu-ray content and based on my experience, I'm expecting quite a leap in image quality.

Anyhow, pre-orders are arriving this weekend. Should be some feedback from those who got theirs early.

4. The Hud

Hopefully you like the 4k better.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They are improvements over the BDs - more so for "Interstellar" because it's more ambitious visually, I think.

The IMAX stuff in "Interstellar" is reference level - just stunning.

Other than "Dunkirk", WB sent out the 4Ks late - they supposedly went out yesterday, so I hope they arrive Monday...

jh901 and The Hud like this.
  6. jh901

I popped in the 1080P Blu-rays for TDKR and Interstellar to check my masking (for the 16:9 sequences) and watched the first 10 minutes or so of each. Really hope they nailed the 4K|HDR. I've seen some amazing 35mm on the new consumer format, such as A Few Good Men, so I have an idea what's possible. There isn't anything from large gauge film yet, so bring on the IMAX cameras!

7. jh901

Hoping there's a bunch of forum members out supporting the new premier consumer A/V format tomorrow!!!

8. The Hud

So what is your verdict?

9. Oatsdad

WB finally sent me their titles the other day. I'd already seen "Dunkirk" and "Interstellar" 4K but now have "Inception" and the Dark Knight Trilogy.

I watched "Inception" tonight and will do a DK marathon tomorrow. What says Christmas better than 8 hours of Batman??? :laugh:

LEONPROFF and The Hud like this.
  10. The Hud

Why so (serious) festive? :)

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

:D

It snows in "Rises", doesn't it? I think that's enough to make it a Christmas movie! :laugh:

The Hud likes this.
  12. The Hud

That makes it more of a Christmas movie than Christmas Vacation 2!

Billy Infinity and Oatsdad like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Why'd you have to remind me of that awful movie? :help:

The Hud likes this.
  14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I didn't bite on the 7-film 4K box, as no digital copies are included.

However, I did get 4K Dunkirk this week, and the 4K TDK trilogy is in transit to me. I already have Interstellar and Inception via 4K iTunes, so I'm not in a big hurry to upgrade those. The Prestige is a good one, but I realized my original Blu-ray is still sitting in shrink wrap after many years :( I guess I'll be looking for a sale on the 4K version, to tempt me.

Dunkirk look incredible!

15. The Hud

Is the 4k Prestige only available at Best Buy? I can't find it on Amazon.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Apparently for a limited time, only at B.B.

The Hud likes this.
  17. jh901

I've screened all aside from Dunkirk and The Prestige. Nolan's 35mm will never look like A Few Good Men, but I tend to believe that it's not supposed to. I'd love to screen a high quality print of Batman Begins and Inception in a private screening facility that Nolan or his like would use. Not likely to happen, so I'll have to assume that the transfer work is faithful.

In any event, I'm generally pleased with the result in my projection room. I'm a fan of Nolan's style and the UHDs add just enough to the experience that it's exciting to see these movies all over again.

I'll have to watch them on a nice OLED someday. My hunch is that there's more value in buying UHDs for those who've committed to properly executed front projection. Very subjective, of course. And relative as well. A few hours exposure to more or less reference front projection may raise some eyebrows.

18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I need to check these out. Nolan is one of the greats of the last two decades.

19. What I don't know is why they were sourced from an interpositive and not the OCN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.