Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Imagine that Warners would have given Prince his album masters back in the early nineties.

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Does anyone know where I can find Darling Nikki by Foo Fighters?

3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Several hits on YouTube, like this one:

enro99 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  4. Yost

The Darling Nikki cover made me think of the one below. Beyoncé singing The Beautiful Ones at Glastonbury. Gives me goose bumps, every time.

5. MikaelaArsenault

It's blocked in my country on copyright grounds by UMPG Publishing.

6. Yost

Hmmm. Can’t help you there. I found more videos on YouTube, are they all blocked?

PS. You could try an online VPN service to change your location for other sites. It seems Opera has a good one for iOS and Android.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Crystal Ball album (1986) tapes which were handed out to Prince’s band members as reference materials for rehearsals. These particular tapes were given to Eric Leeds. (Source: Housequake )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting that it's credited to Camille, and that it seems to have gone as far in the process as being properly mastered for release, has this been known?

8. Good find!

I know that the Camille was mastered, but not the last config of Crystal Ball.

Are we sure those aren't the Camille album, as well as Crystal Ball, both tapes being shown in the pic?

Too many discs for a single Camille album, though.

Maybe Prince was just being mysterious in the moment (again) and threw the Camille name out there on a whim.

9. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Here is the actual original source, they are up for auction: RR Auction: Bidtracker Item Detail

Plenty of other interesting items on that site, for example:

"Group of (6) Lovesexy Tour DAT Tapes": RR Auction: Bidtracker Item Detail

"U-Matic Tape of 1990 Nude Tour Footage": RR Auction: Bidtracker Item Detail

The items come from the collections of nine people, Eric Leeds being one of them, as seen here: RR Auction February 2018 Prince Online Virtual Catalog

(They seem to have one of the copies of the "Black Album" that was already auctioned at another site (as linked to earlier), seems they are now doing the rounds.)

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought Prince was very protective of his material? Why would he not have his vault be climate controlled? Surely he knew he should be doing that, no? I don't get it... He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would just throw his tapes into a random room that isn't protected from humidity and moisture.

bob60 likes this.
  11. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

it's to bad the Tom Petty thread was closed yet this Prince thread has thousands of replies. I think people feel better if they can discuss Tom Petty......as with this Prince thread. Just my humble opinion

12. That's the dichotomy of Prince.

He was protective of his music, but not protective enough to hand out select tapes of unreleased stuff to people from time to time.

At one point he was asked what he'd do with all of his unreleased music when he died, and he said probably have them take it out and burn it.

He liked to hold the cards, to control everything, even if that control was in his own kooky way (and I say that with much love).

I've known for a while that the state of the tapes in his vault was screwed up. Too many sources attested to that.

Prince did too good of a job of living in the present. The past was there for him only when he needed it, which wasn't often.

Turntable likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Yea! He was letting that club play unreleased stuff (where it was no doubt copied), but took lots of stuff off youtube.

14. Right! It's back to control. He wanted party people to get off to unreleased jams at his club, knowing that folks would dupe his copies. That was in his control.

He knew he could exert his control on YouTube, too, so he had his stuff pulled...and even wrote a song (quite a good one, too) to the YouTubers who moaned about it.

And you know, I never complained about any of it. I just shrugged and said, "Well, that's Prince for ya." Really, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sure, I wished he had released a lot of that promised music in his lifetime. In the end, however, I smile and remember him with fondness for what he gave to me.

What I find a little disturbing, though, is auctions like this, where his unreleased stuff is getting out there, but the family can't get their **** together in order to give it to us!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Purple Jim and longdist01 like this.
  15. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Great post. In the 80's whenever you saw people use TDK AD90 audio cassettes that was a first indication you could trust their ears.

[​IMG]

Purple Jim, xilef regnu and George P like this.
  16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

"‘Mind-Blowing’ New Prince Music ‘Coming Soon,’ Estate Adviser Says": ‘Mind-Blowing’ New Prince Music ‘Coming Soon,’ Estate Adviser Says

The Violet Reality, the person who was right about the content of the Purple Rain Deluxe, is reporting industry contacts are hinting at 1999 Deluxe or possibly Parade Deluxe.

-

In other news, this weeks new video on the Prince YouTube channel, just uploaded, is "[​IMG] Hate U", and I keep seeeing it called "unreleased", the video has been around on the web, so it's not "unseen" (as it was also called), but I guess it's meant this wasn't officially shown at the time, which I had no idea it wasn't... This raises hope they'll eventually post other "unreleased" videos such as "Empty Room".

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Jayseph, Izozeles, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I would go ape over Parade deluxe...

Jayseph likes this.
  18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I am reading that it's most likely 1999 Deluxe, that it's "ready to go" acording to an "industri contact", and that it will come out on Warner (in the article Troy "declined to say which label might release the recordings", don't know what's the reason for the mystery).

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I just DON'T WANT a deluxe set of an already released album that I have been listening to for decades. Do they take me for an idiot? I couldn't give hoot about all that lavish packaging and alternate mixes, I want music, songs that I haven't heard before.

George P, Yost and EVOLVIST like this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Then don't buy it? They have to release what will sell, and that is all those 80's hits he had because that's really the time he was popular and releasing music that sold. There will be some unreleased songs but the labels know those won't sell as well as the 80's hits. You're going to probably have to re-buy the albums to get the unreleased songs that will be bonuses.

21. The article reads:

If they are getting some stuff mixed, this is a good sign that whatever deluxe packaging there is, it's got to be from the multi-tracks, which is a very good sign, as opposed to the stuff from WB's vault. This certainly means better SQ of unreleased material that the Purple Rain set, if, that is, they're going with Grundman again. However, who's mixing it?

Because they are still shopping for labels and assuredly OK'ed a one-off deal with WB...or maybe with someone else. The point is, if they had secured a long term deal, we would have heard about it, so right now the estate just wants to make some bread, and to make sure that they have something for the public, lest they forget.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I never buy albums all over again in order to get the unreleased songs. I always get them though.

23. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I really find it hard to see how they will be able to release Deluxe Editions of the Warner era albums on any other label, don't they have exclusive license to distribute those albums, isn't that why the deal with Universal was cancelled?

What a mess if they shop these releases around album by album, I really hope they will secure a long term deal before they start a release program invloving reissuing the back catalogue in updated versions. Things are messed up already by the Purple Rain Deluxe being as it is, I wish they'd delete that and start over properly with a long term plan in place before they roll things out

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. MikaelaArsenault

I just got some VPNs yesterday as a matter of fact.

Yost likes this.