Genesis' Foxtrot. What's the problem with the reissue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by disraeli, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What are the stampers on your Mad Hatter?

2. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Side A matrix = -1u
    mother/stamper = 1/OD PORKY
    Side B matrix = -1u
    mother/stamper = 3/ML PECKO

3. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I'm about to purchase this early UK copy of Foxtrot. The seller says it's in NM condition, and I trust the guy. The question is: what year was this released? The label is identical to the 1st pressing and the deadwax has the "PORKY". How about the SQ of this reissue?

[​IMG]

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

It says B&C. Isn't that the 1972 First pressing?

5. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

It's an early pressing, but not the first. At least, that's what the seller is telling me.

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Oh ya, First Press should have A1 and B1 in the deadwax?

7. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Ok, new info about the deadwax:
    Side A: CAS1058 A - 1 U
    Side B: CAS 1058 B - 1 U

8. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Does it say PORKY on one side and PECKO on the other? I was under the impression that was the first pressing.

Can’t see your image but as long as it’s a large mad hatter label and says distrbuted by B&C, it’s certainly an early one.

9. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Just checked my two UK copies:

A) Early copy: picture carries on across the spine, pink lettering. Textured sleeve. “Printed and made by the EJ Day Group, London and Bedford” next to the picture of Phil. “Manufactured and distributed by B&C Records Ltd.” on the Large Hatter label (spindle hole goes through his bow tie)

Matrices: CAS1058 A-1U PORKY
    CAS1058 B-1U PECKO

B) Late ‘70s copy: White spine, black lettering- smooth sleeve. “Printed by Howard’s Printers, Slough Ltd, England” in a black box next to the picture of Phil. “Marketed and Distributed by Phonogram” on the small Hatter label (bow tie well above the spindle hole)

Matrices: CAS1058 A//3 420 03
    CAS1058 B//2 masterroom

10. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Maybe it's a first vinyl and not a first sleeve? There are one or two differences in sleeve, should have the red spine text and red company inner with adverts I believe, although I'm not with my collection today so can't double check.

11. According to that page, it IS the 1st UK pressing. B&C + spindle hole through the bow tie should seal the deal.

I'd love to know if I'm wrong though.

CHARISMA LABEL

12. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Pretty sure that is the first pressing.

ParloFax likes this.
  13. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

There's the same issue on "Trespass" ("White Mountain") with a complete verse being an alternate take.

14. ...BTW, what does the expression can-utility mean? I can't find a (real) translation or an explanation anywhere?..

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

A play on King Canute?

ParloFax likes this.
  16. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

"Crisp cymbals". That's a warning sign for me.

17. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

Well, I think I scored big time:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Thommo577

Thommo577 Forum Resident

Looking at a Foxtrot Rhino remaster 2008 ($25)and a German repress 1978 ($16) both NM. Any opinions n those 2?

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

What's the difference between "Porky" in the deadwax and "Porky Prime Cut" in the deadwax for those UK First Pressings?

20. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And been out of print for about a decade now. Also costs a mint to buy on the secondhand market. Otherwise, yes, Classic Records were a great thing.

On a wider scale, Genesis didn't sound right for a long time into their career. Their early releases were as muddy as hell, and it wasn't until I picked up the CDs that I could really begin to put aside the limitations of some of the vinyl. I used to collect the albums for years, and it was a job finding decent sounding ones.

danielbravo likes this.
  21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Looking through Genesis threads and saw this, didnt you score a US Pink Scroll Foxtrot recently at Open Mind? How do you like it now?
    Leo here by the way ;^)

MONOLOVER likes this.
  22. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Hi Leo! Yes I did and I do like. Keeping the UK 1st of course, but for listening it'll be the US from now on.

[​IMG]

MONOLOVER: GENESIS/FOXTROT CAS 1056 (-72) US

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Demolition Man

Demolition Man Forum Resident

Was there anything confirming as to why alternate takes were used on the remixes? Perhaps missing sections of multitracks which results in having to use alternate takes?

24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I am also a fan of the US pink scroll of Foxtrot.......listening to Supper's Ready at the moment, and sounds fantastic. :righton:

Munger74 and MONOLOVER like this.
  25. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

Does any one has detailed comparison of the tape error in Suppers ready on all three cd version. I have DE remaster on CD and i must say although it is said to be fixed there i can swear that i hear something changing in the mellotron just before the guitar/flute intro starts. Was it even more severe on the unremastered pressing? On 2009 remix i cant here anything in that spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.