POLL: Favorite Scrooge / adaptation of A Christmas Carol

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mmars982, Dec 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by the A Christmas Carol/Scrooge thread, here is a poll to vote for your favorite film adaptation of Dickens' A Christmas Carol. You can base your vote on the actor protraying Scrooge, or the production as a whole.

I'm leaving off any purely animated versions (even though I really like Mr Magoo's), but leaving on the Muppet version because Caine plays Scrooge straight & I feel deserves to be in the running. I also put on Jim Carrey's since it is a cross between live action & animation. Also leaving off any that are only loosely based on the original story (so no Bill Murray).

2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

As I said in the other thread, it will always be George C. Scott far and away in every aspect--acting, production, locations.

Luke The Drifter and Karnak like this.
  3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

1. Alastair Sim version is the best of the lot.
    2. Patrick Stewart (I know a lot of people think this is terrible production, but I don't understand that opinion. I really like the production, the story, and how Stewart portrays Scrooge.)
    3. Reginald Owen is OK, but I didn't like how they left out what I think were some critical parts from the book.
    4. George C. Scott - I'm not a big Scott fan and don't see the "greatness" of his acting in many of the roles he portrays. His portrayal of Patton was great, but I found his Scrooge to be somewhat boring.

The musical Scrooges just don't do it for me. I lose the spirit and intent of the story when Scrooge or other players break into song - takes me right out of the story. I do have to say I appreciated the (non-singing) portion of the Albert Finney movie when he arrives in hell, is greeted by Marley and is made to serve as Lucifer's Clerk (in a freezing cold office - the only cold place in hell!)

Kelsey Grammer version - watched it once. Never again.
    Disney/Carey version - saw it at the theater in 3D. Will never watch it again.
    Muppets - watch it each year.
    Fredric March - watch it each year.
    Seymour Hicks - I actually don't think this is a bad version of the story (the longer uncut version, not the truncated one) but the print is so poor it is hard to watch and listen to. The colorized (shortened) version actually improves the film as more detail can be made out through the grain and flickering film. I watch this on each year.

4. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Amazed that I'm the only one who voted for the 1970 Albert Finney musical version,
    but it is definitely my favorite version. Finney's performance as Scrooge is the best
    I've ever seen (especially his "transformation" scene at the end) and the song "Thank You Very Much"
    is truly an all time classic. Too bad it's not recognized as the classic it is...........

GeoffC, jmobrien68, Jack Lord and 2 others like this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

1951 <<>> Alister Sims :)

MikaelaArsenault and Simon A like this.
  6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I picked the George C. Scott version, though I could just as easily have picked the Alastair Sim. They are both masterpieces in their own way, yet after my praise in the other thread, I couldn't "not" vote for it here.

I tried once, years ago, to watch the Albert Finney version, and it started just fine, though I couldn't quite buy Finney's aged-acting attempt. Then when it burst into song, off it went. Sorry. Can't handle that. Even though I love the Mr. Magoo version with music.

Oh, we too went to see the Disney/Carey/3D thing in the theater and won't be watching that one ever again.

7. mmars982

The Seymour Hicks one I think has a great beginning. They spend a lot more time (and have a lot more people) than all other versions on this. But once the ghosts start showing up, it falls flat to me. Never saw the colorized version. May have to find it.

My favorite part of the Reginald Owen version is Gene Lockhart. He is by far my favorite Bob Cratchit (but the scene with the kids waiting for dinner is a little creepy).

Alistair Sim's is my favorite over all. It took me a few viewings to really appreciate it, as I had never seen it when I was younger. It's sort of like It's a Wonderful Life. You have to watch it beginning to end with no distractions to really get it.

Michael Caine is at least one of my favorite Scrooges, if not the favorite, and frankly some of the Muppets are as good as any human actors (the scene after Tiny Tim dies gets me every time).

George C Scott is great, as is that whole production.

I just saw the Patrick Stewart one, and I am surprised many do not like it. I would rank it in my top 5 probably.

I saw Albert Finney in Scrooge for the first time last year. It's not for me.

I'm not familiar with the Frederick Marsh one, but after a few people mentioned it I think I'll check it out. And I'm very curious to hear Vincent Price narrating in that one.

I am intentionally avoiding Kelsey Grammar and Jim Carey. Maybe next year.

8. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I voted for this one although I prefer the B&W original version.
    [​IMG]

I love George C Scott’s performance too; his movie probably has the best Tiny Tim character. I don’t really care for Roger Rees as nephew Fred though. Albert Finney makes a wonderful Scrooge but I think the music detracts from the story a bit.

Another favorite is the Disney one with Jim Carrey. Great effects in that one and the animation allowed for more story details.

I’ve never even heard of the Taylor Holmes one. I’ll have to check it out.

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Albert Finney all the way.

Thank you very much!

10. Alastair's is my favorite.

MikaelaArsenault and Simon A like this.
  11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Other: 1988 Bill Murray / Scrooged

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sim, without a doubt.

13. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Alastair Sim by a country mile for me. One of the many delights of the film include the wonderful antique toys in that Tiny Tim peers at through a store window.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  14. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

15. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

This is kind of hard to answer. I grew up watching the Reginald Owen '38 version, and my annual Christmas Eve tradition is to watch that version with some cocoa and cookies. However, over the years I have grown more fond of the Alastair Sim version so I watch them both!

16. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Sim's version for me. First one I ever saw and scared the heck out of me. Still love it.
    [​IMG]

17. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Sim adds depth to the character of Scrooge beyond what Dickens gave him in the original story. That’s fine acting, folks, and for me his performance stands alone.

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I didnt know that one existed..... Is it good?? -- Bill Murray does good in QUICK CHANGE (1990)

19. mmars982

Many people love it. It's not one of my personal favorites of Bill Murray movies, but I'd definitely say give it a watch if you haven't seen it. I didn't put it on the poll because it isn't really an adaptation of Dickens, but a modern story loosely based on it.

20. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

[​IMG]

Well I still watch the two above..pretty much every year.. and Muppets still make me happy and sad.. and happy again.

Also went with Muppets in Poll

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    MikaelaArsenault and mmars982 like this.
  21. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

This.

I love it. I think it is one of Murray’s best performances, especially in the context of the movie.

22. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

There is only Sim.

23. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

1) Alastair Sim
    2) Albert Finney

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. The Alastair Sim version is definitive. No other portrayal has the same emotional resonance IMHO, and no one looks more Scrooge-like either.

25. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

+1 :agree:

Sim also benefits from a production that seems less stagey than the "big" MGM version (though I do like the sliding on ice bit from that 1938 film), and the way it's lit with all those dark shadows, not to mention the creepy score, lends a sort of starkly gothic almost horror atmosphere to it overall which I think better captures the bleak reality of Dickens' era. When the final redemption comes, I feel myself nearly gasping for breath as much as Scrooge appears to be, and Sim's standing on his head (which genuinely frightens away the housekeeper! :laugh:) is a memorable touch I never tire of.

In short, this 1951 British film is the gold standard of "A Christmas Carol" for me, but that does not mean I cannot enjoy other versions, and I agree with the comments above regarding the various strengths of those Scrooges who came before and after. Although the OP specified that purely animated renditions were not included, I would like to give a nod to Disney's 1983 short feature starring Scrooge McDuck (who was named after the main character anyway) but was actually billed as "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (Mickey appears as Bob Cratchit here), which serves as a lighter compliment to Alastair Sim's classic much in a similar way as Disney's 1991 "Beauty and the Beast" is fun to put on alongside the original French 1946 Cocteau film, though not at the same time. ;)

The only version I don't recommend at all is the very poorly colorized edition (desecration?) of Sim's film, which I think strips away much of the original's power, and should be relegated to the dustbin of history. :thumbsdow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.