Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Your ears won't be attached to anything else for quite a while afterwards!

PJayBe likes this.
  2. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"Big loud acts like.....Donovan"....!!!

3. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It's annoying the photos in the photo book aren't captioned.

Stupid omission.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

That's great.

Which DVD is it from? Semi-official release?

5. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

Sean Murdock and bobcat like this.
  6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There's a semi-official DVD release from Brazil around 2002 that came with a magazine.

Sean Murdock and bobcat like this.
  7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Is there an upgraded Toronto DVD "out there"?

I have one but got it many years ago.

8. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Mick Taylor on the electric version? (according to Wikipedia)

9. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

No, not just you.

It's very odd.

Almost like an extraneous noise.

RayS likes this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I actually don't believe that this was the version originally intended for the album - I think possibly it was pulled to a reel for a vocal overdub when Dylan re-recorded vocals after Knopfler went off on tour, but I suspect the engineer may have pulled the 'wrong' take. The drums are also completely off on the electric take. It sounds like it's quite early on - there are something like, off the top of my head, 14 complete takes of 'Blind Willis McTell'.

Interesting that there are 'acoustic' and 'electric' versions of this album.

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Just to clarify, I haven't heard any of the other takes of 'Blind Willie McTell' but I did have a conversation with Mick Taylor once about this particular song. Unfortunately he couldn't recall much about the sessions.

12. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What is the Mojo Dylan piece like?

Sometimes they can be a bit underwhelming.

You think there's a lot there but once you have consumed it it feels like you have eaten candy floss.

13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

BS13 makes one wonder what they could have done with a Rolling Thunder BS as opposed to the 2CD set we got.

14. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

So, finally got mine (Thanks Santa!!), and as Mrs. B has gone to work it's time to settle down for a while with Bob!! Have to say the photograph on page 113 is stunning!!!

MRamble likes this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Dylan quote about his reaction to the death of Elvis:

"I went over my whole life. I went over my whole childhood. I didn't talk to anyone for a week after Elvis died. If it wasn't for Elvis and Hank Williams, I couldn't be doing what I do today."

RonBaker, MRamble and DrJ like this.
  16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

This has probably been answered somewhere but why did they (the producers of BS13) choose this particular night from San Diego to represent a 1979 concert?

17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Problem is how does one find the time to listen to everything?

....I quite like the look of that massive 1970-72 King Crimson box....would it take two years to absorb all of it?

18. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

I suppose it proves once again that, as film-makers go, Dylan is a great songwriter and performer....:)

19. bem

bem Forum Resident

Was finally able to listen to the two CD version of Trouble in Mind. I had never really paid attention to this part of Dylan's career. Wow. The version of Saved on dis one was revelatory, likewise with the Groom is still waiting at the Altar on disc two. I appreciate Gotta serve Somebody more now than I have in the past. I like the acoustic versions of every grain of sand more than the live versions, but that may be cause I've heard it first. The live versions of these songs are so much better than the studio versions as so many people have said. Hopefully I'll be able to hear the 8 cd version sooner rather than later.

20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the article(s).

bobcat likes this.
  21. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I dusted off my VHS of this a couple of weeks ago, in the hopes that I could transfer it to DVD and then rip the audio -- but it was copy-protected and wouldn't let me dupe it. I'll have to hook a VHS player to my stereo and just rip the audio to CDR directly. But it still sounded great, and looked as good as you can expect from a 30 year old videotape. Would buy this on DVD (a domestic DVD, at a reasonable price!) in a heartbeat -- not only does it have the on-topic performance of "In The Garden," but possibly also the definitive version of "When The Night Comes Falling." The Dylan "source" has mentioned this tour to Rolling Stone as a possible future Bootleg Series project, so if they ever consider the old Hard To Handle tape, I hope they expand it to include the whole show.
    Would that be this?

https://www.amazon.com/Bob-Dylan-Ha...rd_wg=E51VV&psc=1&refRID=PRPPP8CVZBM10N4KY99H

A little pricey for me, and based on the reviews maybe the VHS has better sound...

bobcat likes this.
  22. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I hear both Knopfler and Taylor on the “electric” full band Blind Willie McTell. Sounds to me like Knopfler is playing a Fender and Taylor a Gibson (not that this would surprise anyone).

Hep Alien and bobcat like this.
  23. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

You probably don’t have to wonder much longer considering there’s a good possibility the tour will get a second consideration next Fall

bobcat and redsock like this.
  24. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

And just to follow up on this. Early morning here in Scandinavia and well, no e-mail as of yet....but hey, we got all day...:)

25. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

After listening to this set some more and doing some extra reading on this period I do wish now they included the sermonizing on at least one of the live discs here. I think it would've only enhanced the listening experience to get a feel for what those shows really sounded like if you were there. I understand why they chose not to include them but still would've been nice I think.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017