Original/Unaltered "Star Wars" Trilogy on Blu-Ray in 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I agree. I haven’t seen 4K77 yet. I don’t have the setup to watch 4K movies, but the dedication of these fan restorationists is admirable.

No, these films don’t belong to the fans, but Lucasfilm has not moved to stop the fan restorations. Until they do, fans are free to enjoy them.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

The fan restoration is like trying to restore an album when your only starting source is a copy of the CD instead of the actual master tapes.

andrewskyDE and Leviethan like this.
  3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Exactly, so until something better comes along, and as long as Lucasfilm is turning a blind eye to it, let the fan restorationists have at it.

4. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I keep thinking that they'll wake up to all the money they are leaving on the table here, much like The Beatles did with the American albums and finally released them (twice!).

Maybe it truly is something George is just not allowing. They largely ignored his ideas for the Sequel Trilogy though, so why not just ignore him again?

:agree:

I'm fairly happy with the Despecialized Editions though, truth be told. I've seen some of the LPP Grindhouse 'releases' too that are out there, some look better than others.

4K77 is without a doubt the most ambitious thus far though, probably even more that the DE's. I hope that, when that is completed, they TN1 will do a 4K80 and 4K83. I know that will take some years to complete though.

By then, maybe we'll have the genuine article from Disney/Fox.

:waiting:

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah. I'm not a fan of print scans in general, for a lot of reasons. Note that a print would not even be even remotely close to 4K; Kodak estimates that there might be as much as 4K in a 1970s camera negative, except this is an anamorphic show, so I'd say cut that by about 20%. Then you go through an IP stage, lose another 20%, and an IN stage, lose another 10%, then a release print, where you lose another 10%. You'd be extremely lucky to even have 2K resolution in a print. It's a lot of generation loss from the original negative:

[​IMG]

Simon A, supermd and Leviethan like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

More like an LP.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The longer this goes on, the whinier some people seem.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

But I want it nooooowwwww!!!

HGN2001 likes this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I can't recall reading any whining recently in this thread. Discussion, yes, but no whining.

10. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Some endless discussions can come off as whining because of constant repetition. It's a matter of perception.

Sorry. I probably shouldn't have opened this thread.

Carry on with your discussion.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Presenting the new SH Forum Theme Song:

:)

12. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

Sorry, i arrive a little late to this discussion and i don`t want to read the 30 pages of discussion, so, this is really gonna happen? we will have a blu ray with the "Original" original Star Wars Trilogy?

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not in 2017! ;)

beatleswho likes this.
  14. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

So maybe in 2018?

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Sure, maybe - who knows?

If the Fox/Disney merger happens, this release becomes more likely...

16. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Even if they could, they won't release it in 2018. They'll have the standard edition for TLJ around spring, then there's Solo: A Star Wars Story which gets its theatrical release in May, so it means that the DVD would show up around September. And if they do the same thing as with TFA (on the 3D version) there will be a second edition of TLJ with new extras coming in November.

2019 will only get Episode IX in the theaters in December, and there are no Star Wars Story officially announced so far for 2020. They'll have Indy V in July anyway...

So, 2019 would be my quick guess for a potential reissue of the OT.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I thought 2020 is when we're getting the Obi-Wan Kenobi movie? Or will that be later?

18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

They may wind up reissuing the trilogy on Disney’s streaming service, your one-stop shop for everything Star Wars.

19. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Their original plan was to release a Star Wars related movie each year during the summer season, preferably in May, but they have failed so far. The schedule for The Force Awakens was too tight, there were reshoots for Rogue One, The Last Jedi was also delayed, and took up the slot that had been left by the Avatar sequel, but I think Rian Johnson needed just a few more weeks, not months, to finish it. And now, Episode IX, due to the change of filmmakers, has also been rescheduled for a December release.
    This leaves Solo as the sole announced film which hasn't been rescheduled from summer season to the holidays, even if there were even more reshoots than on Rogue One.

So far, there has been zero official announcement for a 2020 Star Wars film, and it gets less and less likely because Lucasfilm will focus on the fifth Indiana Jones, and all the big studios have already picked most of the dates in the schedule for their own releases. Besides, it took more than two years between the moment Rogue One was announced and its release. For Solo, it will be almost three years. So, it's a little weird that Bob Iger announced to the stockholders that there will a trilogy supervised by Rian Johnson, while Johnson himself acknowledges it hasn't even entered development, but had no word about a 2020 Star Wars story.

There seems to be several competing projects (Boba Fett, Yoda, Jabba, Obi-Wan...) for this third Star Wars Story. Add to this the fact that Josh Trank was fired from developing the film that was neither Rogue One nor Solo, and it looks like they're having issues nailing a good project. And then, the firing of Lord and Miller on Solo suggests that Kathleen Kennedy may prefer to delay the next entry until she has something bulletproof to offer on all accounts. And Marvel has already booked dates in May, August and November, which leaves little room for another Star Wars. Which is why I think that it will actually be released in 2021, without any positive evidence of it.

20. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose one way to look at it is that we’ll see the theatrical version of all three Sta Wars movies before we’ll EVER see the theatrical cut of THX 1138. There’s not even a “Despecialized”-style release of that, and the chances of WB or even Warner Archive ever releasing it are nonexistent. Looks like that’s one piece of film history that’ll just be lost forever.

21. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Why? Did Lucas destroy the negatives?

22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

No. As Vidiot has stated many times in this thread, the original theatrical versions could be put together with ease. It would just take time and money.

mdm08033 likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I think @Leviathan is referring to THX-1138.

24. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

No, I don’t think so, but let’s be realistic, the market for the theatrical cut of THX 1138 is probably virtually non-existent, and Warner Archive’s comments to me on Twitter suggest that Lucas has final say, and I’m willing to bet it’s not something we’ll ever see released.

enro99 likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

:doh: Thanks.

Encuentro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.