Amazon really messed up shipping some vinyl.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Sick Sick Phil, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

You’re probably right. Amazon gets it right quite often too, which tends to give some of us a sense of hope, but in the end they are a general PITA. Fortunately, they do stand behind their mistakes and that makes taking the risk a little easier.

Sick Sick Phil likes this.
  2. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Never had any problems with Amazon UK. Maybe you should all move over here? You know you want to.

3. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Never happened to me always well packed.

4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

We see things differently. I buy music to play it. If the record plays fine... the rest is cosmetic. I care more about landfills in this world than I do a dinged corner of a box. You've got different set of priorities. I get it. Amazon's packing at christmas goes to hell with the temp help. But I'm not going to throw a record into the garbage over it.

Now... if the record was worth more than 30 dollars or so... that might be different.

5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I had to replace the case, which of course, was as rare as the guitar.

All the hardware - case keys, truss rod wrench and trem bar were floating around the interior of the case. Trem bar was actually laying on the top when I opened the case...

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Vinyl Shipping Rooms. Yes there is a dedicated room in every Amazon warehouse for vinyl and only vinyl. :laugh:

7. The Trinity

Presumably vinyl is dispatched from a shipping room; don’t get too snug in your interpretation of things.

Aftermath likes this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I haven't had a problem so far with Amazon vinyl packaging but now I'm wary. This isn't the first time I'm reading about this.

9. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I need to know how good your pizza is first...

yarbles likes this.
  10. noname74

There aren't shipping rooms..there is a building....a massive warehouse with shelves after shelves and rows of skids. Everything at Fulfillment Warehouses is measured in seconds due to the quantity of product they go through so rooms and doors would eat into those seconds. It's all open concept...a vinyl LP is no different to the pickers than a bar of soap.

[​IMG]

11. Amazon is great most of the time when it comes to packing. Remember, shipping is UPS or FEDEX or their indie couriers. Occasionally they screw up and that's what happened here. Somebody screwed up and you should let Amazon know-they bring in lots of new temp help for the holidays. They want to know as it improved their customer service.

If the record looked, good I'd keep it. If it's bent up I'd exchange it and Amazon is great because they will ship a replacement right out and you have 30 days to return the bad one.

Easy solution.

Graham, Frosst, lucan_g and 1 other person like this.
  12. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I had several Amazon LPs arrive this way. I noticed two things: (1) It seemed to occur when an album was coming from a 3rd party seller. And (2), Amazon had a footnote on the product page indicating it would come without a box, and I was to specify if I wanted a box when completing checkout.

Needless to say, it was a MOFI album that I received, all dinged up and creased. I did return it.

13. NO but is like one in 100,000.

14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Over the last few years, Amazon overseas shipped their vinyl in individual cardboard mailers. I always made sure to order at least 2 items so that the 2 mailers would be put in a larger outer box -- since the individual mailers can get mangled during international shipments if shipped separately. Over the last few months, they have stopped using the cardboard mailers just putting the vinyl loose in a larger box so that I've had seam splits, bent covers, etc. Two instances were bad enough that I requested replacements. They told me to keep the damaged ones, rather than paying to return them. Both replacement orders DID have the titles in the cardboard mailers -- so I'm not sure what the deal is with that. It makes me hesitant to order from Amazon UK, France, and Germany now. Lately I've been ordering from Juno in the UK (with whom I also had some bad experiences with shipping, but I include a shipment note and they seem to have gotten things sorted out) and FNAC in France (they seem to pack shipments more securely).

15. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

Thankfully, most of the vinyl I get from Amazon these days comes in the original cardboard packaging (from the distributor?). But I will never forget the day my Beatles stereo LP box arrived “naked”, with the mailing label stuck right on the cellophane wrapper...

16. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I agree. I realize we are a tender bunch here, but methinks this may be a case of mountain/mole hill.

Mazzy and lucan_g like this.
  17. The Trinity

So, you’re going to play semantics and argue the difference between a shipping room and a shipping building (which is either a very large room unto itself, or is comprised of smaller rooms)? Wow. You’re so smart.

18. noname74

You are the one that talked about a 'vinyl shipping room' as though there was a special place in every warehouse for vinyl at an Amazon fulfillment center. Don't mistake my education and correction with semantics.

19. The Trinity

Blah, blah, blah.

Aftermath likes this.
  20. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

At this time of year it is absolute hell workng at Amazon. Mandatory overtime (12 hour shifts w/ 1 half hour lunch) and you're on your feet all day. The order of the day is rush rush rush, so mistakes are bound to happen. Working at that company for a year really soured me on them. I still use them on occasion, I haven't blacklisted them or anything, but they do treat their people like cattle.

Benno123, Myke, zongo and 2 others like this.
  21. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I got a Metallica album in a box. Problem was it was supposed to be David Bowie, and had a label on the packaging with the correct title "The Man Who Sold The World." They sent a replacement right away.

22. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Your vinyl is in a very safe place Mr. Jones.

23. Yeah maybe that packer had one too many spiked eggnogs at the office party. :tiphat:

24. noname74

Yep...everyone that cares to read a little knows how Amazon works and it sounds absolutely hellish. Of course we still want free shipping and the lowest price so we try to forget what they put their people through in a 12 hour shift that enables them to give us those perks. Glad you got out of there!

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon is replacing the record. Amazon has more mess ups than "the professional" record stores because they have thousands of times more business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.