Lot of good "fact based" movies this year

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reeler, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeler

reeler Forum Resident Thread Starter

Battle of the sexes
    All the money in the world
    Darkest Hour
    I, Tonya
    Molly's Game
    The Post
    Dunkirk

I don't remember there being this number of well made true story type of films in the same year.

benjaminhuf likes this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Also The Disaster Artist.

3. reeler

Thanks. I overlooked that one, how could I forget Tommy.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Is a "fact-based movie" like those movies that are "based on" a true story but that end up adding a bunch of stuff that isn't true to make them more interesting? :)

5. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I enjoyed Stronger, the Jake Gyllenhaal movie about one of the survivors of the Boston Marathon terrorist attack. (I had thought Patriots Day, the other movie about the same event, was also this year, but it came out Christmas 2016).

6. reeler

I, Tonya plays with this where characters break the 4th wall and say "this really happened" or "that absolutely did not happen".
    Fact checking aside, there was a pretty good slate of "true story" flicks this year.

7. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Maybe this will become a trend and we will stop seeing so many remakes. One can always hope.

ohnothimagen and Miriam like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Watched I Tonya last night and I love the way it keeps many things, which may be true, ambiguous. A fantastic film which also addresses the socially excluded , child abuse and domestic violence, yet the strength to survive makes it an uplifting experience.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

American Made was another "very loosely based on a true story" one I liked this year.

11. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Although Hidden Figures was 2016, not knowing the history I thought they'd Hollywooded this up as I was so remarkable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.