Hired Gun (2016) - Netflix doc about touring sidemen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dadonred, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

It’s a decent film, but for me, just confirmed a lot of what I already knew.

2. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

My cousin had dinner with Rudy a couple of years ago and said Rudy was one of the nicest, most down to earth musicians he’d met.

carrick doone and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Agree with those who recommended watching The Wrecking Crew. Another documentary I highly recommend is Standing in the Shadows of Motown which basically talks about the legendary Funk Brothers who were the backing band on so many Motown hits.

4. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

Watching it tonight on Netflix.

Really good.

dadonred and Zoot Marimba like this.
  5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm gonna watch hired gun on netflix tonite....
    I read Rudy's book.....good fairly quick read.
    Good bass player, but telling that he didn't play on "Bark at the moon"..
    I think of him as a stage player.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  6. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

As far as I know, he'd already left by then.

7. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Think I have a video of Ozzy with Jake E Lee/ Carmine Appice/ Rudy? / Airey?
    Maybe it's actually Daisley..... but yeah Rudy maybe would of played on Bark had he not Joined QR.
    Unless I'm mistaken...Did Jake tour with Ozzy pre Bark?

8. Zoot Marimba

I think he played select dates pre BATM

BDC likes this.
  9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Three threads merged. :)

Another Steve likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

There are pictures of Buckethead without his mask on the internet. Seek and ye shall find.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

Just my own thoughts, but I think the rotating bassist situation was contrived to make sure Bob Daisley always just happened to "rejoin" just when they happened to be recording an album. He was uncredited most of the time but his writing contributed a lot to the sound of those first 4-5 albums. There was a lot of effort to market the albums as always being written by Ozzy & his guitarist, but I think the reality was more complex. I think they wanted Daisley in the studio but he didn't want to tour, so they contrived those comings and goings to maintain a "band" image. These are just my impressions from my memories of that time.

Mark

12. Zoot Marimba

There's some truth to that, we know Bob wrote lyrics, and probably helped tie the songs together from whatever Ozzy and the guitarist had come up with, so you could actually be somewhat right.
    On the other hand, I do believe Rudy when he said he didn't feel right about doing the gig without Randy, but these two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  13. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I just finished watching this and I thought it was really good. Unfortunate about Billy Joel being a douche, but I assume the screwing he took from his ex manager changed him and not for the better. Anyway, one of the better music docs I’ve seen in awhile.

Dan C and dadonred like this.
  14. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

BTW...Liberty DeVitto is no angel, either, I’ve heard from other connected sources.

Great doc, though. The Jay Graydon “deuce” story, by the way, is legend. It was nice to hear it confirmed by the source...with a little extra TMI from Luke!

PTgraphics and dadonred like this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Saw this a few weeks ago. Nice to learn of certain bits and bobs musicians like Kenny Aronoff for example playing memorable hooks, etc. And that Nita Strauss playing for Alice Cooper. Damn, she's a stunner. I also understand she's a descendant of Johann Strauss the composer.

dadonred likes this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I watched this doc on Netflix yesterday.

The jamming sessions were fun up to a point but quickly become tiresome. Personally I would've liked to just watch more solos.

I've been a Billy Joel fan since I was a kid and always loved his band during the prime years. I don't know how many times I've watched the "Live from Long Island" VHS and just marveled at the chemistry, playing and sheer joy they all projected together. I've seen Billy live twice, unfortunately after he broke up the band. He was great and the band was great, but nowhere near that magical.

My take is yes Billy Joel can be a d-bag and after all those years and success he owed the band a meeting and explanation when he decided to go in a different direction. I love Liberty DeVito and I'm sure he's being honest on his fallout with Billy, but I suspect there's a lot more to the story than he's letting on. Relationships are really complicated, to say the least.

The guy from Filter is a TOOL.

The bass on the mix seemed a tad excessive...anyone else think so?

Fun movie for music fans. Kinda like Chinese food...I liked it but now I'm hungry to know more.

dan c

GodShifter and dadonred like this.
  17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Would love to see a documentary on all of Bowie's musicians. Some interesting tales to tell and from some of the lesser known ones too.

eddiel and Dan C like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

just saw this today for the first time, it's a great watch. like everybody else, the Billy Joel scenario speaks
    hard on Billy, it would be great to hear Billy's side of it....but they don't paint him too nicely.
    Kenny Aronoff is one of the best drummer's ever. a great insight, highly recommend it.

Dan C likes this.
  19. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Yeah, like I said earlier there's probably blame to go around on all sides. Still, it looks like Billy Joel took the low road. It's a shame. Maybe someday the story will come out and the remaining parties will make amends, but after all this time I kinda doubt it.

dan c

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

In the excellent Standing In The Shadows Of Motown, some of the players talk about Marvin Gaye actually listing the players on What's Going On. Such a big deal, the one fellow seemed like he was about to cry.

Meanwhile, it turns out Hired Gun was directed? produced? by my friend's pal. Who knew?!?

What I really like so far:
    - Ray Parker, Jr* wearing a Triumph T-shirt. (again, who knew?). ("Ghostbusters"-written on spec for $50,000, sold >10 million, and he is NOT tired of it :D)
    - Former Metallica bassist Jason Newsted saying it is more important to have a classic songs than a #1 song.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Just saw this on Amazon Prime. Good stuff. What a talented group of musicians! Billy Joel comes off as a dbag but it sounds like there could be more to the story. Anyone else think Liberty Divito looks like Mo Green from The Godfather?

Spaghettiows and eddiel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.