The Beatles' "Rubber Soul" - Putting together the proper tracklist

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, Dec 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

They couldn’t. Your “fun fact” is neither fun nor fact. Songs like “Tomorrow Never Knows” and “I Am The Walrus” got split on the 8-track versions.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  2. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

But the U.S. Rubber Soul, along with other unique Capitol titles and versions were the standard in the U.S. not only in the 60s but all of the 70s and 80s on LP.
    The entire reason the Capitol boxes came to be was because of the fans who wanted those versions on cd and those sets sold incredibly well.
    Because those discs weren't sold individually and took so long to even appear in a box set, the UK versions naturally continued to remain solely the standard.
    But I don't think this thread would be strange to anyone outside of this forum.
    Maybe to younger casual fans but even middle age casual fans remember the Capitol albums from their reprint days in the 70s and 80s or their parents original 60s releases that stayed in the home.
    Plus most avid Beatles fans are not part of this forum worldwide or in the U.S. and avid Beatles fans are more than aware of all things Beatles.

3. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

If they wanted to make Rubber Soul a shorter strong folk-rock album for the US market, the easy way was this imho:

1. "I've Just Seen a Face" 2:05
    2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" 2:01
    3. "You Won't See Me" 3:18
    4. "Nowhere Man" 2:40
    5. "Think for Yourself" (Harrison) 2:19
    6. "Michelle" 2:40

1. "Girl" 2:30
    2. "I'm Looking Through You" 2:23
    3. "In My Life" 2:24
    4. "Wait" 2:12
    5. "If I Needed Someone" (Harrison) 2:20
    6. "Run for Your Life" 2:18

If they simply wanted to make it stronger by cutting a few weaker tracks and adding a few hits, then this comes to mind:

1. "Drive My Car" 2:25
    2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" 2:01
    3. "You Won't See Me" 3:18
    4. "Nowhere Man" 2:40
    5. "Michelle" 2:40
    6. "Think for Yourself" (George Harrison) 2:16

1. "Day Tripper" 2:50
    2. "Yesterday" 2:05
    3. "Girl" 2:30
    4. "We Can Work It Out" 2:16
    5. "In My Life" 2:24
    6. "The Word" 2:41

4. If only the Beatles and George Martin had sent Capitol 'Leave My Kitten Alone', 'If You've Got Trouble', and 'That Means A Lot' for the Y&T album rather than the three Revolver tracks. It would have fit in well with the butcher cover theme. :whistle:

5. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

That's exactly what I was talking about. They didn't purposely create a folk rock album but "luckily" suits at Capitol stepped in and "created" something the band didn't intend it to be - e.g. made Beatles into something they weren't, a folk rock band.

e.s. and zobalob like this.
  6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who bought the album in the 60s who went looking for the Rubber Soul album on CD in the 80s and 90s and only got confronted with the UK Rubber Soul. That must have been Twilight Zone moment for many folks (and folkies). Disappointing, to say the least, despite the UK RS being a decent listen. 'First they try to push the bloody metric system on us, and now this?!'... It couldn't have gone down too well with many.

lemonade kid and schnitzerphilip like this.
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Didn’t have those - sorry.

8. Price.pittsburgh

I see your point about making them a folk rock band but I don't think that was really Capitol's intent to that degree but rather to create a more cohesive sound.
    Although the U.S. version is more folk than others, keeping Wait on there instead of Nowhere Man and Think For Yourself instead If I Needed Someone to me says they weren't trying to turn them into a straight up folk rock band even for one album.
    They just wanted the album to blend with the times a bit.

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Or they just needed to use the two remaining Help! tracks somewhere.

10. Price.pittsburgh

They weren't to worried about using There's A Place or Misery Somewhere from PPM or the single From Me To You.

11. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Great reply. Although I just can’t agree with having Help! songs on RS, you do have a brilliantly thought out point.
    For me I think it’s purely subjective. It just doesn’t sound right at all, especially since I mark it as their transition album and beaides that think everything found on U.K RS is far better than anything on U.K. Help!, but yet I can’t really counteract your arguments. It’s just how I feel :nyah:

12. slane

slane Forum Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    They put them on singles around the time of Early Beatles.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I usually make up folders for albums on my computer and add the songs that I think "should" have been included due to time constraints of a record. It makes it more fun for me.

14. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

That was Capitol.

15. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

True. In the UK “Penny Lane” was also split. As well as “I’ve Got A Feeling”.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

I've Just Seen a Face
    Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)
    You Won't See Me
    Nowhere Man
    Think For Yourself
    The Word
    We Can Work It Out
    Michelle
    Day Tripper
    Drive My Car
    It's Only Love
    Girl
    I'm Looking Through You
    In My Life
    Wait
    If I Needed Someone
    Run For Your Life

Contains all of the tracks from the US and UK RUBBER SOUL (except the dreadful "What Goes On") plus both sides of the Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out single.
    The running order is pretty close to the order of the original album(s) with the big exception being moving Drive My Car to a spot which would likely be the start of side 2 for an album.

17. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

In my mind the "correct" answer has to be the UK running order. For me, "I've Just Seen a Face" might work, but "It's Only Love" just isn't up to snuff--the lyrics especially. And the single, while brilliant, works best IMO as just that, a single.

That said--I might be weird, but I quite enjoy threads like this!

18. tages

tages Senior Member

[​IMG]
    My REVOLVER doesn’t split any tracks - interesting track order, though.

19. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

For the first 5 years of my Beatles listening era (80-84) I listened to the US version and knew nothing else. Then I got the Blue Box Set with all of the UK albums and never looked back. The UK tracklist is how I like it and wouldn't want to change it.

e.s. likes this.
  20. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

This was the track order on Canadian cassettes as well. Always loved the "Love You To"/"She Said She Said"/"Tomorrow Never Knows" climax.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  21. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Cool.

So now both the Yanks and the Brits can settle their differences on Rubber Soul and join hands in solidarity and hate on the Canadians as that most assuredly is an atrocious version of Revolver.

22. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I’ve Just Seen aFace was the perfect song to open the album, set the tone for the rest of the album very well.

23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

'Cept it wasn't us Canuckleheads who came up with that running order for Revolver- it's the original UK cassette/8 track running order.

Read it and weep...the lowdown on the UK cassette versions:
    http://urthepob.byethost24.com/cas/BtleCas.html?i=2

24. Hell on Reels

Hell on Reels Forum Resident

We Can Work It Out, end of side one, adding to the anticipation of side two track one. Day Tripper, end of side two, adding to the anticipation of the next Beatles LP.

25. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

The transision from Michelle to What Goes On is not exactly smooth (even with turning the lp sides it has always sounded awkward to me), hence one could add Day Tripper and We Can Work It OUt (in this order) between.

Hardy Melville and Gila like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.