Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Thanks, if it is anything like the quality of recordings on the 1967 Bootleg series or on My Funny Valentine ('64) then I'd be over the moon with that.

Lonson likes this.
  2. Moko

Moko Forum Resident

Anyone know if they will release the Miles Bootleg series 6 on vinyl?

Some of the others in the series seemed to have been released on vinyl if in very limited numbers

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

For 12″ vinyl collectors and audiophiles, Columbia/Legacy will release The Final Tour: Copenhagen, March 24, 1960 as a single 12″ vinyl album.

A 2LP 12″ vinyl edition of Miles Davis & John Coltrane – The Final Tour: Paris, March 21, 1960 will be reissued exclusively through Vinyl Me, Please as part of their new VMP Classics subscription featuring the best jazz, blues & soul reissues on 180g black vinyl with exclusive listening notes. Available by signing up at http://www.vinylmeplease.com.
    'Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Final Tour: The Bootleg Series, Vol. 6' Out March 23

4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

More traditional than some of what I've listened to from ECM
    lately; Towner plays everything and Bruford is solid in slightly
    newer territory, Gomez gets some great tone here, which reminds
    me a little of E Weber.

[​IMG]

5. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

WP Alice Coltrane. A Monastic Trio 1968 Superior Viaduct reissue
    [​IMG]
    This is her first LP under her name and was recorded the year following the death of her husband John. Some consider it a bit of a wake and it’s true that members of Johns later band perform here but the sound on this album is also carried on into her more famous later LPs Ptah (1970) and Journey in Satchidananda (1971) and beyond. To me it’s primarily modal but very spiritual trance like too especially on the side two harp based pieces. I love this sound of hers and recommend this record but if you have nothing of hers the 2 aforementioned LPs might be a better starting point. Pharaoh Saunders brings a very free form bass clarinet solo to the opening track that adds a deep counterpoint to the rest of the LP. Pharaoh fans will want to check that out as he is on fire.

7. Gabe Walters

This record is indeed a very heavy listen in light of John Coltrane’s loss. I find myself needing to be in a particular mood to want to put it on. The Superior Viaduct reissue is a fine quality release.

Stu02 likes this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Joao Bosco "Da Licenca Meu Sensor"

klonk, bluemooze and bluejimbop like this.
  10. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

A great collection of early Benson,from bluesy small combo with Herbie Hancock,Ron Carter and Billy Cobham to big bands..George one of the greatest!
    [​IMG]

Mark E. Moon., bluemooze and Morbius like this.
  11. Lonson

Louis Armstrong "The Nightclubs" . . . mine has a different version of the cover as mine is the subscription edition not the general edition (has an extra track and extensive liner notes by Ricky Ricardi).

Really nice, better than the first release in the series.

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Six String like this.
  12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Gene AmmonsBoss Tenor (Prestige Records)
    — Gene Ammons – tenor saxophone; Tommy Flanagan – piano; Doug Watkins – bass; Art Taylor – drums; Ray Barretto – congas

[​IMG]

13. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Open the window to your soul and let in the sound of:
    McCoy Tyner - Fly with the Wind, 1976
    [Keepnews Collection version]

[​IMG]

Careful Lonson, Billy Cobham plays on this one :).

bluemooze, bluejimbop, markp and 2 others like this.
  14. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

I've been playing the Miles Prestige set from Disc 1 onwards and have reached CD 5 now.

Listen to the bit around 4:55 where Monk slows the theme right down...and seems to lose track.

15. Lonson

I'm aware! I bought that LP when it was first released.

Right now
    Beautiful guitar jazz
    Marcos Amorim "Sea of Tranquility"
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Six String and Yesternow like this.
  16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – Broadcast from The New Zanzibar [21Sep45 on Vol.8 of The Treasury Shows] (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

[​IMG]

Personnel:
    Shelton Hemphill, Rex Stewart, Taft Jordan, Cat Anderson(t); Ray Nance(t,vn,v); Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, Claude Jones(tb); Jimmy Hamilton(cl,ts); Otto Hardwicke(cl,as); Johnny Hodges(as); Al Sears(ts); Harry Carney(cl,as,bar); Duke Ellington, Billy Strayhorn(p); Fred Guy(g); Junior Raglin(sb); Sonny Greer(d,ch); Marie Ellington, Al Hibbler, Joya Sherrill(v).

Titles include: Midriff, Stomp Look and Listen, My Little Brown Book, Dimuendo and Crescendo in Blue, Rocks in My Bed, Everything But You.

Listening to the 'bonus tracks' while awaiting delivery of Vol. 24.

17. Lonson

Right now

Lendvai String Trio, Beethoven Complete String Trios, disc 2. Lovely music, lovely recording, lovely musicians.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This Spring will be my 47th Anniversary in FM radio (all non commercial). 47 years of specials on one artist only (3 hours, then 2 hours about 10 years ago), with an occasional theme based program, rather than an artist-based program. For a number of years it was jazz artists only, but for many years it has bridged many styles and time periods. But I never archived or syndicated programs. I liked the idea that it was live broadcasts only. Some of the shows that I enjoyed the most were those that the artist participated in, or listened to while on air.

19. Gabe Walters

I recently picked up a nice copy of the Classic Records reissue of Birth of the Cool. This sounds much nicer than the RVG CD I have. Now in my happy place.

20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

That’s a supremely deep amount of information
    . I assume since you refer to FM that it is not available as a live only stream via internet.
    It’s an impressive body of work just that it’s a little heartbreaking to think it will not be heard by others :shake:

21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Bill Frisell Band - Lookout For Hope (ECM) U.S. pressing
    Killer band with Hank Roberts, Kermit Driscoll and Joey Baron.

bluemooze and bluejimbop like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Just like those countless jazz performances. The music that I played is still there. Many listeners said they want to hear more of me, but I downplay that. It is about the artists.

Stu02 and Yesternow like this.
  23. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Kamasi Washington is bringing lots of interest to jazz.
    Played in Cincy recently to packed house.

24. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I understand your listeners Tribute. It's such a joy to hear someone praising or going into detail about an album or artist that you love. Sharing a common love for jazz.
    Your posts (and the ones from the other guys) are my radio show.

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Sonny Stitt - Givin' The Store Away (32 Jazz)
    This is a compilation of the "best" tracks from his Muse recordings. 13 big ones! I don't profess to be a Stitt expert as I only have a handfull of albums by him. He was very talented but his discography is massive and spread over more labels than I even know. Mosaic did a big box but decided that mght be more than I want so I passed. My favorites so far are

Sonny Stitt Blows The Blues (Verve)
    Stitt Plays Bird (Atlantic)
    Turn It On (Prestige)
    Personal Appearance (Verve)
    Stitt Goes Latin (Roost)
    Salt And Pepper (Impulse) w/Paul Gonzalves

Are there any Sonny Stitt experts here with any recommendations?

bluemooze likes this.