The Who-Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy vinyl reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatleswho, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

VERY highly recommended. Sounds phenomenal.

2. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Does the Classic Direct Hits use the single mix of I Can See For Miles?

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No

4. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I bought it today. The true stereo cuts sound great, but the fake stereo songs are a load of cr@*. And I thought the cover would be laminated and it is not.

lukpac likes this.
  5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, it sounds decent and you can pick it up rather cheaply, compared to other Who reissues by Classic.

chacha likes this.
  6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m not crazy about Who’s Next. I prefer the Track and early Decca pressings.

AaronW likes this.
  7. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Classics did 2 issues of Direct Hits - 150 & 200 grams. Is there any real difference between them (besides the weight)?

8. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I can't comment on Direct Hits, but I have both Classic Records 'Who By Numbers' 150 and 200 gram reissues and there is most Definitely a difference. The 200 gram is much better.

marmil likes this.
  9. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Well I for one, for purely nostalgic reasons, am happy they released MBB&B like this from the original comp tape. I don't have s UK original and this is a cheaper way of getting one. Yes the fake stereo sounds like crap but this is the crap I remember when I first heard it.

I would have released a two LP set for the price of one: one with the original comp tape and one with the best mono/stereo sources.

THE SEEKER sounds mighty fine on this (but it is in context of how bad My Generation sounded before it) lol! :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    landerstnkb likes this.
  10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

That’s right - cut from the mono masters (it claims, anyways) - I bought the 200gm test pressing (which came with a never released disc 2) and it sounds pretty darn good to me.

11. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

In this case there was absolutely no reason whatsoever to use the original compilation tape complete with almost half of those tracks in fake stereo, regardless of 'nostalgia' - on the 2014 AAA Beatles Red Album re-issue they went to the trouble of splicing in the correct mono versions of the tracks that were fake stereo on the original 1973 release - the new MBB&B release is from a digital source, meaning it would have required far less effort to compile a digital master of true mono and stereo versions where applicable, without compromising the authenticity of the original - in fact, it would have been an improvement over it. Instead, we have a digitized version of the original compilation tape, complete with all it's flaws - two wrongs don't make a right...

dee, aphexj and lukpac like this.
  12. Vinylsoul 1965

And you are entitled to your opinion on this. Like most of you I have the best sources of all of the tracks either digitally or on record and I can make my own best sounding version of MBB&B. I also understand that the AAA 1962-66 album does sound better and do I prefer it to the US 73 version? Yes I do. However I don't own a UK version of the comp tape of MBB&B on vinyl and I was happy to get it - warts and all. The completist in me wanted to get it. Let Chad and Acoustic Sounds do an audiophile version with the best analog sources and I would get it as well.

I understand your disappointment, but there are some of us who disagree. It's what Pete put together in '71 and I'm happy to have a copy.

Pancat and landerstnkb like this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That implies the tapes used originally were selected on purpose. They weren’t, they were simply what was easily available at the time.

marcb, aphexj, Tommyboy and 3 others like this.
  14. Vinylsoul 1965

lukpac that is not what I am suggesting. This is not a superior sounding product - I am the first to admit it. It is what it is. It is what Pete put together BASED ON THE SOURCES HE COULD GET A HOLD OF. I hope I have clarified.

STILL happy to have a copy.

15. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

i have th reissue myself and for what it is worth i am happy to have it...on a side note a friend of mine has the classic records live at leeds which we compared to my original UK lp....the classic records is very good but gets beat out by my original uk version..it just has more dynamics going on in the music than the classic records version.

landerstnkb likes this.
  16. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe Pete would have specifically asked for fake stereo versions of some of the mono tracks - what utter nonsense.

I'm happy to believe he had complete say as far as the actual track list is concerned - the decision to make some tracks fake stereo would have been made by MCA or Polydor, as clearly back then fake stereo was the norm for a lot of compilations - fortunately most of the labels has seen sense by the end of that decade, and here we are in 2017, warmly reminded of those heady days of the wonderful technology of re-processed stereo, when there's no actual need or reason for it - it's sub-standard. "Hey guys, why should we do this release justice when we can just screw (****) it up instead?"

dee, marcb and lukpac like this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Polydor just got lazy and used the original compilation tape I guess. Miles has done a pretty good job with what he had available to him. I doubt Pete Townshend had any detailed involvement.

JP Christian and John Bliss like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

What is on the second disc? Anything unique to that pressing.

19. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

The 2nd lp was basically all of the Shel Talmy produced tracks that were not on the My Generation lp - all in mono. At the time when I got it, some of those tracks were only available in stereo on the ‘Who’s/Two’s Missing’ lps, but those same tracks are now available in mono with last year’s My Generation SDE 5 disc release.

dee likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

They were issued digitally on the 2008 and 2012 JPN sets.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  21. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

That’s right. It was on vinyl that they had not been released in mono until last year.

dee likes this.
  22. Vinylsoul 1965

I agree with you on this...Pete would have wanted the best sounding sources and I believe it was a matter of Pete saying "here's the running order, you guys do what you get paid to do" and Decca made the mastering/selection decisions. I can guarantee he did not ASK for the fake stereo versions. On this there is no argument.

dee and JP Christian like this.
  23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Hahahaha half-speed mastering from the best available inferior sources!! As grudgingly assembled by Pete Townshend!!

Our host had a single afternoon to master the best version he could of MBB+B from whatever tapes were available and never had to resort to fake stereo

There oughta be a law, honestly

24. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I went to Barnes and Noble today. All the newly stocked Beatles remastered stereo LPs were Opitmals so I was going to maybe buy Help!. Then I saw the 2010 Band On The Run LP for $19.99 and almost bought that.
    Then I saw my old favorite from all those years ago and took Meaty, Beaty Big and Bouncy straight to the counter. Sounds great to me.

I have my old MCA vinyl somewhere and the SH cd somewhere else just can't find them at the moment lol.

John Bliss and SteelyNJ like this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Have fun with the fake stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.