What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

The Killers released their fifth studio album, entitled Wonderful Wonderful, on September 22, 2017

No Bull likes this.
  2. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

McCartney-"Pipes Of Peace"
    Styx-"Mr. Roboto"
    Paul Simon-"Hearts and Bones" (expecting Simon & Garfunkel).

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Even Mick Jagger was lukewarm about "Exile" up to the 90s :D
    For a long time i thought "Exile" was too sloppy, I mostly heard bluesy, boogie jams like "where are the songs?". "Sticky Fingers" felt very tight in comparison. I've warmed to it but it's not my favourite :) The vibe is good, but I find better material on other Stones albums (and I love the Stones :)).

Desolation Row and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  4. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Scott Weiland - 12 Bar Blues

Although I feel much differently about it now.

5. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

You know, my old man rolls the same way as that guy with Exile. He frequently tells me that he jumped ship after Satanic Majesties Request and after that they were never as good as that first run of the band (and I know Brian was still there for roughly another 18 months but yeah...he's rolling with HIS version lol).

I told him in reply that they were only just getting started around that time and the best was yet to come.

Exile is genius.

6. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I ALWAYS love a good "Rhino QC is garbage" conversation. I really think they don't care so much over there. If you haven't already, hunt down the thread about the Monkees Blu Ray box and you'll see quite a few people that hold your (our) opinion on the matter.

7. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Kiss - Psycho Circus (first Kiss cd I bought, traded off within a week)

And based on my love of the band; The Who - Endless Wire was the most underwhelming, long anticipated release. I still own it, but haven't listened to it in 11 years.

8. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

But somehow Rhino manage to knock all the Grateful Dead releases out of the park! They've done an excellent job with the packaging and production of this band's material.

sparkmeister likes this.
  9. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse of Reason (this was the first new release for me since becomming a fan).

U2 - Pop

Madonna - Hard Candy (such a let down after the excellent Confessions...)

Prince - Graffiti Bridge (album & film)

D.B. and skisdlimit like this.
  10. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I know lots of people love Sturgill Simpson's third album A Sailor's Guide to Earth but I found it a huge disappointment after his first two albums. I even saw him live during his Metamodern tour and was really looking forward to this third album. And really didn't like it. I tried but just didn't "get it". Amazon still has the album at over 4-stars but I have to agree with some of the 2-star reviews:

You know what soul music needs? Sturgill Simpson to take it up. Said no one, ever.

Do you like 60s soul music? Do you like non-stop horns? Do you think you Aretha Franklin records would be better sung by Waylon Jennings? Then you are going to LOVE this album. If you like REAL country music... and you thought Metamodern was fantastic, you will hate this album.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

love the songs great sound, near perfect album.

cmarcc and petercl like this.
  12. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

There have been many, but In Through The Out Door takes the soggy biscuit.

13. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Really? I don't get it. Why so much focus on the Dead for them? The Monkees essentially saved them and put them on the map yet SO many of those releases have been absolute trash with the packaging or missing content problems. Seriously, I'm shocked to hear this.

14. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Sonic Youth's Experimental Jet Set Trash and No Star was a disappointment after Dirty, and showed a tendency in the band toward blandness.
    1991 may be the year when punk broke, but 1994 was when it was put back in the cupboard.

15. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Rush's Power Windows, for reasons many of you will easily guess

llama and yesstiles like this.
  16. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I was among the biggest Tull fans in the universe (at the time)... and am still a huge fan.

When I bought and played "A Passion Play" on the day it was released, I literally thought it was some kind of weird joke... I thought it was awful.

There are a couple of short passages from it that I listen to these days, but that's it.

alexpop likes this.
  17. john lennonist

You can imagine it 22 more times at the time of this posting, because that's how many have agreed ("liked") regarding Raving Russell's post about the vast over-ratedness of "Exile on Main Street".

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I guess 23 people are just plain wrong. :D

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  19. john lennonist

Double post.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    stef1205 and thematinggame like this.
  20. 2017 Sgt. Pepper remix. :cry:

alexpop likes this.
  21. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Deep Purple "The Battle Rages On" or
    David Gilmour "On An Island"

22. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

It was from my favourite band at that time. Uriah Heep Live. Absolutely shocking. What a massive disappointment that was.

23. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Pet Sounds

Ethan B and DTK like this.
  24. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

My biggest disappointment is simply not having discovered so many favorite albums even earlier! But better late than never. And, like life, enjoying albums is more a journey than a destination.

PhantomStranger and phillyal1 like this.
  25. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

i can see your point... but if you think about the great run from "evol" (or "bad moon rising") to "dirty" it was only a question of time, when they will run out of ideas... and they had imho a little renaissance in the jim o'rourke era...

geogaddi83 and sparkmeister like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.