DCC Archive Live albums... Best and worst.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

Best:
    Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
    Grateful Dead - Live/Dead
    Grateful Dead - Europe '72
    Grateful Dead - Grateful Dead
    Grateful Dead - 5/8/77
    Crosby/Nash - Another Stoney Evening
    Neil Young - Live Rust
    Phish - New Years Eve 1995
    Who - Live at Leeds
    Doors - Absolutely Live

CCrider92 likes this.
  2. coldnebraskablue

coldnebraskablue Forum Resident

Would add to the "Best" list - My Morning Jacket - "Okonokos"

3. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

One of the best (and newest):
    King Crimson - Live in Chicago 2018
    This current version of KC is a beast

One of the worst:
    Bob Dylan - Live at Budokan
    Love Dylan, but these Las Vegas-style versions of his back catalogue are pretty bad, IMO

crozcat likes this.
  4. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Nice to see Love mentioned, so lucky to have that one documented. Stellar performances from Arthur and band.

Still my favorite!

RockRoom likes this.
  5. T-Mac

T-Mac Forum Resident

A few in the best category
    AC/DC - If you want blood, great live album from the Bon Scott years
    OZZY - Speak of the Devil, great solo takes on the old Sabbath catolog, wore it out back in 82.
    Motörhead - no sleep till Hammersmith . A sonic onslaught if there ever was one

A few for the worst
    Aerosmith - Live Bootleg, just never got into this one, sounded like the spark was gone save for Mother Popcorn
    The Doors - Alive she Cried. Love The Doors but just a fragmented waste
    KISS -Alive IV. Zzzzzzzzzzzz

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Best: Queen "Rainbow '74,

[​IMG]

Todd W. likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

BEST:

(I'm going to leave out all the usual suspects)

Tim Buckley: Dream Letter. All of Tim Buckley's live albums are worth owning but this is probably the best and it sounds like it was recorded yesterday.

WORST:

David Bowie - Stage. The 'Berlin' material wasn't really suitable for live performance and the sequencing goes out of its way NOT to sound like a live concert (with that cardinal sin of live albums - fade-outs between tracks!).

8. I can just about live with overly energetic performances, but those electronic drums that Bill Bruford (ab)used so much during this period ruined many otherwise great projects, such as the Yes "Union" shows - did every odd song really need his mechanical rattling accompaniment in the background?

9. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I can’t say what’s best or worst since I’ve only heard a small fraction of what’s out there.

My favorites are
    Charles Mingus - The Great Concert of Charles Mingus (1964 European tour)
    John Coltrane - Olatunji Concert- The Last Live Recording (1967 hard to believe he would be dead a few months later with the shear power of this performance. Actually, there are several live Coltrane albums among my favorites—pick one)
    Miles Davis - Dark Magus (1974 - An evil sulfuric sounding wall of noise with some of my favorite guitar work on record)
    Peter Brotzmann - 3 Nights in Oslo and The Sclippenbach Trio - Swinging the Bim (2010 and 2001 - sounds that would peel paint)
    James Brown - Love Power Peace Live At the Olympia, Paris 1971 ( a well
    Oiled machine worthy of Ellington’s band)
    Speaking of which - Duke Ellington- The Legendary Fargo Concert (1940 - Blanton, Webster, Hodges)
    Jerry Lee Lewis - Star Club Germany(1964 - the Killer shows the upstart beat boom acts who’s boss)

Most disappointing (remember, this is my opinion- don’t take this like I just insulted your mother)

Live At Leeds — when I bought this circa 1975, it was already considered a classic “best ever”
    type of record. Side one - so far so good. Side two. —uh oh —Magic Bus - never liked that song. My Generation medley- just give me a powerful 3 minute My Generation, please— I very rarely like medleys.

Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out. This seems to be where Jagger stopped singing and started with that annoying barking he continues with today, plus too much guitar noodling, which I don’t come to the Stones for.

Least Favorites

Dylan And the Dead (of course I knew it would be terrible, but I still bought it, though no longer own it)
    Bob Dylan At Budakon (or “Vegas Bob” as we used to call it)
    Rolling Stones - Still Life (absolutely appalling. They should be ashamed of themselves) Love You Live would have made the list as well, but side 3 is salvageable.
    Aerosmith - Live Bootleg - I’m always surprised at the love this thing gets. I always thought they should play this in schools to discourage drug use.

Greenalishi likes this.
  10. ruemirasundae

ruemirasundae Active Member

The Progeny release fixes a Dolby problem on many of the 1972 Yessongs performances and improves the sound quality considerably (see Yessongs - Is this live recording as bad as reviews make it out to be? .)

For best, I would add my vote for Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus. I like Blue Oyster Cult's On Your Feet Or On Your Knees and Lou Reed's Rock 'n' Roll Animal, and almost all the live performances released by Experience Hendrix. Also, I think Led Zeppelin's How The West Was Won totally redeemed the horrible The Song Remains The Same.

Morton LaBongo likes this.
  11. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

Best for me a different one. Andy Pickford & Paul Nagle S.T.D.M ramayana great live cd recorded at Jodrell Bank In 2002 what a live sound. Worst. Kraftwerk Bootleg from 1991 played it then throw it away terrible recording.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, a 17 year old thread. :bigeek:

13. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Thanks Rue, I will check that out.

14. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I really like NRBQ {God Bless Us All}. I agree with Zep Song being just not their best.

BiffJackson likes this.
  15. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I love Atlanta Whisky Flat on the Trademark of Quality (pig) label. Sure, it's loud loose and savage but it's not the depressing out of tune Beatles at Budokan. My favorite part of Atlanta is where John introduces his great ballad as, "If I Fell... Over"

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

This thread is way older than this Forum!

17. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

To expound on the better than Song Remains the same idea. The Paris disc is so cool. And i have a show from the Whiskey that is also super cool in energy. I still love No Quarter though in any version, including the Song Remains The Same.

The Otis Redding live stuff at The Whiskey is so interesting. He was a guy who live just was a different animal.

The Magic Sam live in Berzerkly cd that came out recently is so cool. He is a guy who was just so energetic live. In that Otis Rush, Buddy Guy thing but with his own style. His on the porch back yard recordings, also live, not sure if it's really a live record just family as audience. ... and on the that note, i recently got the John Lee Hooker back porch party recordings from '49, these are awesome. But, the audience is a living room so, not sure if it counts.

I like the Cheap Trick in Japan stuff, but, the Wolfgangs Vault live recording just blows that out of the water, Southern Girls! so much energy, poor sound though.

18. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

Ever since I was given a tape of UFO's Live and Dangerous, I have always loved a live double album. On Friday I bought a 2LP version of Cheap Trick at Budokan and haven't had time to play it yet and I particularly enjoyed the Clutching at Straws-era Marillion live show that was released just before Christmas, as well as Bowie's Galstonbury.

Best
    The Who Live at Leeds
    Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous
    Japan Oil on Canvas
    Portishead Live at Roseland
    The Name of this Band is...
    Talking Heads

Greenalishi likes this.
  19. Jeff W. Richman

Jeff W. Richman The Richman Curse www.soundclick.com/qoquaq

“Frampton Comes Alive” was a big disappointment to me.
    I still love the four studio albums he did before that.

My favorite live album is “Perfect Strangers” by Frank Zappa.

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

I don't normally care much for live albums but Alchemy by Dire Straits is an excellent counter-example.

21. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Some of the best non-jazz live recordings:
    Neil Young Massey Hall
    Neil Young Fillmore
    Portishead Roseland
    Nirvana Unplugged
    Nirvana at Reading
    Stones and Muddy Waters at the Checkerboard Lounge (in the top five all-time best for sure)
    Stones Ya Ya's
    Allman Brothers Fillmore
    White Stripes Under Nova Scotian Lights (only available on DVD, but still better than Under Great White Northern Lights which is also extremely good)
    White Stripes John Peel sessions* (for all intents and purposes, a live show)
    Sam Cooke One Night Stand (might be THE best live record?)
    Bob Dylan 'Royal Albert Hall'
    Cowboy Junkies Trinity Session* (for all intents and purposes a live show)
    Sarah Harmer Songs for Clem* (for all intents and purposes a live show)
    The Who Live at Leeds

Stone Turntable and CCrider92 like this.
  22. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I think decent is being kind to Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Live Alive. That album is a disaster and complete disappointment. I saw SRV live 3 times leading up to this album being released and was super excited to know be was finally coming out with a live album. Upon getting it I could t believe this was the best he could come up with. Not representative of bow good he could be live at all. To add insult to injury the CD version left off Life Without You which was only availble on the vinyl release at a time when if there was extra material released on one format over another it was usually the CD that had more not the other way around. Completely baffling and disappointing release.

23. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Favorite Live Albums

The Kinks One More For The Road
    Grateful Dead Europe 72 complete boxset. What a magnum opus it is.
    Jimi Hendrix Miami
    Jimi Hendrix Machine Gim SACD
    Jimi Hendrix Winterland boxset
    Santana Fillmore West 68
    Santana and Buddy Miles Live
    Kansas Two For The Show
    Grateful Dead Daves Picks 26 Albequerque 71
    MC5 Kick Out The Jams
    Allman Brithers Fillmore East Blu Ray Aufio 5 shows complere and in absolutely stellar sounding 2.0 and 5.1 mixes

Worst
    Steppenwolf Live
    Stevie Ray Vaughan Live Alive
    Grateful Dead Steal Your Face
    could this albim possibly have had a more boring and worse track selection from what was in fact a grear run of shows? They made up for it years later with another release from this run but my oh my is this one poor

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Best

Ozzy Osbourne--Tribute
    Black Sabbath--Live At Hammersmith
    Iron Maiden--Flight 666
    Rush--Exit... Stage Left
    Metallica--Through The Never
    Led Zeppelin--How The West Was Won

Worst

Anthrax--Live: The Island Years
    Nailbomb--Proud To Commit Commercial Suicide
    Helloween--High Live
    Jethro Tull--Bursting Out

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Took me 47 years to appreciate Humble Pie's Rockin' The Fillmore. Better late, than never.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.