Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It was. "Moonlighting" debuted fall 1985 and "Blind Date" came out spring 1987.

Apparently he did a 1986 "mockumentary" to tie into his "Bruno" album, but he did nothing else after the start of "Moonlighting" until "Blind Date".

I actually liked "Date" back in 1987 but was less enchanted when I watched it again in 2014:

Blind Date [Blu-Ray] (1987)

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

IMO, C&C are a serious "you had to be there" act. They were so strongly oriented toward the 70s and the stoner vibe that they don't fare well at all outside of that era...

3. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I thought that "Up In Smoke" was extremely funny, and still holds up today as a comedy, despite the fact that it was obviously a product of its time.

However, they were a one-trick-pony. All of the subsequent Cheech & Chong movies were terrible.

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Yes, that's right. It was a big box-office hit, although the critics slated it.

It ought to have been an ideal in-flight film for the mood I was in but not a bit of it. The version I saw had obviously been 'cleaned-up' re: language and sexual references but it was still a bomb.

Crocodile Dundee was released in the same timeframe. I remember seeing it at the time and not finding it remotely funny: I wonder if anyone on earth finds it funny in 2017?

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Almost any "fish out of water" comedy. They're very rarely done with subtlety and intelligence.

6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Can't stand those type films. Matilda, Dennis the Menace and the like we're really popular.

7. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I absolutely loved Next Movie. I would probably like it still but it has been awhile. Saw both in the theater during their initial release.

8. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

You could've watched it for free in HD on Kiwi TV just last week and saved your $1.

9. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I stopped with late night TV when Letterman and Ferguson left.

DRM likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

I still have a soft spot for Paul Reubens' performance as "Hamburger Howie" in "Nice Dreams", though! :)

gitters, ianuaditis, ChadHahn and 3 others like this.
  11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I bought it at a thrift store, whose profits help support the local women's shelter. So some good came of it.

goodiesguy and Oatsdad like this.
  12. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

I'm sorry but Elf is great!!

yesstiles and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I can't remember the last comedy that even made me crack a smile, let alone laugh.
    I don't bother with the genre much anymore, since they always just end up being epic fails in the laugh department.

beat_truck likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That’s your own opinion.

numer9 likes this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I see they have remade 'Overboard', this time...you won't believe this folks...it's amazing...they reversed the roles!:rolleyes:

16. Oatsdad

I don't think "Elf" is a great film, but it's entertaining enough.

I suspect views of it will be strongly influenced by how the person feels about Will Ferrell...

17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

most everything out of Hollyweird these days.

Perhaps I am old and cranky, but most, not all, new movies really suck.

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Caddyshack II. Oof...

19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Remakes need to improve (or seriously update) the original. Otherwise they are just the same as a sequel (inherently bad).
    Why do they tend to remake bad or mediocre movies (it seems)?

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm Sawry, I'm realla SAWRA!!

Oatsdad, Dark Mavis and Lightworker like this.
  21. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Up In Smoke - I saw it for the first time just last week.
    A lot funnier, taken in context, than any recent comedy I've seen.
    That woman who winds up on stage - didn't they say that they'd just met her during the shoot and she had such a strong personality that they decided to include her? She doesn't come across as an actress. Just a real person unfortunately out of her mind.

Nice Dreams was watchable compared to Next Movie. I was surprised to see Paul Reubens and he definitely had a presence.
    Too bad about the Comet Cleanser or Ajax scene. Someone died after trying it and the press about that made the movie impossible to get into if you were under 17 where I lived.
    We sneaked in and were kicked out because we'd bought tickets to some dumb romantic comedy.
    Offended and humiliated, rather than suffering through a Neil Simon PG comedy we left the theater.

Texastoyz likes this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Corky Romano. If you've seen it, you know...

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Seventh Seal. The jokes just don't work. Maybe with a new score, something jazzy like Woody Allen would use....

arley, Pinknik, Solaris and 1 other person like this.
  24. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

I think it was marketed as a 'comedy/drama' at the time of release but I found the Royal Tenenbaums profoundly unfunny. The only scene that raised a smile from me was at the end where the permanently red track suited Ben Stiller and his sons wore black track suits to Gene Hackmans's funeral.

PhilBorder and svoegtlin like this.
  25. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

It's a television series, but I did not find "Baskets" with Zack Galifianakis funny. There were occasionally moments where I would snicker, but that is about it. I normally like dry humor, and I much enjoyed a similar approach with "Between Two Ferns". Zach was the highlight of the "Hangover" films (a very different style). I think season one had ten episodes, and I made it through eight waiting for it to get funny. It didn't, and I quit watching... kinda of felt like the joke was on me on that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.