Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Some of these have been sitting around for too long.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

A 1976 life changer as far has listening perceptions go. The lp that opened
    record store owner's hearts to my faithful hand to wallet for years to come.

[​IMG]

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The Thad Jones and Mel Lewis Qt (Artist House)
    With Harold Danko and Rufus Reid on piano and bass respectively.

bluemooze, Stu02 and Erik B. like this.
  4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Totally understand.

6. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Some end of year fun jazz.
    Actually I enjoyed their debut back in 2006: Pimp Master.

So, here are, from Japan, Soil & Pimp Sessions:

Wish you all a great 2018.

7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Ah, I do likes me some Dexter Gordon...something about his music that never fails to put a smile on my face when I hear it.

Finally got a hold of this one, courtesy of the good old Edmonton Public Library:
    [​IMG]
    My god! "Tout De Suite" is awesome...when Miles and Tony Williams start doing their call and response thing during Miles' solo my jaw hit the floor.

8. Lonson

Stealing a little headphone time while my lady and my lady dog sleep in. Love this four cd set featuring a four hundred year old cello--it has two cds using a modern piano, the cello with steel strings, and modern interpretation, and two cds using period forte pianos--four different ones--and gut strings on the cello with the interpretations being more "period." I've loved these Beethoven pieces for years, they are favorites of my Dad's and I've heard many different performances.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, peter1 and Stu02 like this.
  9. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Most of the Dexter I've listened to is much like slipping into that 12 year
    old worn down flannel shirt on a day off, or putting on a '73 Dead show.
    You cannot lose no matter what. I need to get more Dexter, need to get
    more Miles too. The Filles de Kilimanjaro has always intrigued and
    it does have Tony Williams.

I had forgotten about the whirlwind opener of 'Ebony Queen'. They are
    blowing up a storm on this one and Tyner steps in with his crazy
    rhythmic run that almost blew my morning cup out of hand. The
    busiest be bop of his in my small collection as he is everywhere on this.

[​IMG]

10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Kenny Barron and Dave Holland - The Art Of Conversation (Impulse)
    With only two instruments it s easy to listen to Dave's incredible touch and tone. Barron is in his usual superb mode with great comping skills as well as his own solos. A joy to hear two masters at work.

11. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Dave Holland is fast becoming one of my favorite bass players.
    He never disappoints and is quite amazing to listen to no
    matter what style he takes on.

12. [​IMG]

I finally tore myself away from Coltrane and got serious with the year end cleaning. I tidied my desk and dusted behind my computer. Also had time for a little bicycle maintainance, fountain pen cleaning, a cold and windy ride up the river to the ¥100 store for odds and ends and then home to fix dinner.

This Eric Alexander album is perfect late night listening. He knows how to belt out a slow ballad. I'm listening to the Venus Records vinyl rather than the Alfa Jazz cd, (though I have the cd, I wanted to hear the vinyl at low volume).

Speaking of heavy hitters, congrats to Alastair Cook for his 244 not out against the Aussies in Melbourne. Too late to save The Ashes, but he at least silences the England critics for a few days.

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ve been streaming a lot of Bobby Hutcherson lately since the only album I have is the SHM-CD of San Francisco and I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Music Matters pressing of Happenings despite the fact that I couldn’t find a copy anywhere that was below my set spending threshold for a single item. Until that arrives, I’ll keep the streaming going with this heady one:

Bobby Hutcherson - Head On

[​IMG]

14. Holland is never less than superb IMO, I've got most of his ECM output too.

(out of curiosity who is that bearded fellow, Phil Manzanera, Jim Morrison or Russell Brand ?)

15. Lonson

All the Hutcherson Blue Notes are great, and I'm glad I bought all the SHM-CD versions they released so far. . . great sound, great music.

Bill007 likes this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Dave Holland is an amazing talent -- not just as a bass player, but as a composer and band leader as well. I'm particularly partial to his work of the early '70s with Sam Rivers and Anthony Braxton -- his own Conference of the Birds, his duets with Rivers; the Circle band; his stuff in Braxton's quartet. But also his big band stuff from the 2000's. And one of my favorite albums of all time is his second solo bass record, One's All. That's just brilliant.

[​IMG]

Soulpope, bluemooze, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  17. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

Genesis is my favorite band ever. With that in mind, it's damn sad that not once in my life have I ever been moved to check out any of the Brand X albums that have Phil Collins on them. I found this one yesterday for cheap, so I'm finally on my way to remedying this issue. :D

Brand X - Moroccan Roll
    Original 1977 US pressing on Passport Records

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Xabby, JHC3, markp and 1 other person like this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Duke Ellington and His Orchestra – The Treasury Shows, Vol. 13 (Storyville Records—D.E.T.S.)

[​IMG]

Treasury Broadcast No.24 [Sep 22, '45]

Titles include: Riff Staccato, Kissing Bug, Fancy Dan, Everything But You, Fickle Fling.

New Zanzibar Broadcast [24Sep45]

Titles include: Suddenly It Jumped, Everything But You, ; live from The New Zanzibar, NYC.

Treasury Broadcast No.25 [Oct 6, '45]

Titles include: Main Stem, Carnegie Blues, I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me, What Am I Here For?, Go Away Blues, Frantic Fantasy, Jack The Bear, Cotton Tail, Way Low, Things Ain't What They Used To Be.

Personnel:
    Rex Stewart, c; Cat Anderson, Shelton Hemphill, Taft Jordan, t; Ray Nance, t, vn / Lawrence Brown, Joe Nanton, tb; Claude Jones, vtb / Jimmy Hamilton, cl, ts; Johnny Hodges, as; Otto Hardwick, as, cl; Al Sears, ts; Harry Carney, bs, cl , bcl / Duke Ellington, p; Fred Guy g; Junior Raglin, b; Sonny Greer, d. / Joya Sherril, Kay Davis, Al Hibbler, v.

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’m probably going to order the Happenings SHM too, it’s just one of those albums that I’d like to have on CD and vinyl. I see there are several SHMs that aren’t really available any more. From looking at discogs, several of his 70s albums that I’ve been digging on lately haven’t been issued many times at all, there were a few that look to only have been issued once on CD period (in Japan, of course). It’d be nice to see a big Hutch reissue series on SHM like they did with Lee Morgan recently, I loaded up on those; at least, I’d really like to see Cirrus come out on SHM some time soon, it was issued on regular CD in Japan in 2013, so I don’t know if it’d see another release so soon.

20. Lonson

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  21. Six String

Six String Senior Member

The first one is very good too. More rock than jazz but that doesn't take away any enjoyment from me. There was a thread on the band a few months back it seems.

22. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Extensions (ECM) is one of my favourite jazz albums ever.
    Not just Holland's compositions, but Steve, Marvin and Kevin's playing are one of a kind. A stellar moment between them.
    So I was searching for something similar and found some years ago this one by Kevin. If you like "extensions" give this one a chance. Holland and Marvin play here as well.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  23. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I have Extensions and get a thrill everytime it is played. Can certainly
    understand your like for it. I will look into the KU album, don't believe
    I have any of him. Thanks for the heads up.

24. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Hah, you got it... the one and only Manzanera! A big fan of most of his
    catalog w/ or w/o Roxy... the 801 stuff kills me.

JHC3 and fastskillfulinjured like this.
  25. Postercowboy

Postercowboy Forum Resident

Wayne Shorter -Speak no Evil

The SHM-SACD is not bad, but not exactly an audiophile revelation either. It does sound a tad harsh on my system at times. Not bad, but no wow-effect either. It sounds a lot better than the RVG Remaster, but is also pretty expensive.
    Just put it up again, and while I don‘t mind having it, I‘m not so sure I would buy it again at full price.

It probably doesn‘t help that I played The Doors - Morrison Hotel on AP SACD right before, which of course is a sheer audiophile delight.

Starwanderer and Lonson like this.