Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Correct - of the 3 trilogies, the 1st entry has been the biggest-grossing one.

Though in the OT and the PT, the 3rd film outgrossed the 2nd both times!

David Campbell likes this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

3. David Campbell

I imagine it'll be a three-peat. I can almost guarantee some of these YouTube bloggers and really outspoken haters of this movie who have been swearing up and down that they are completely done with Star Wars now that Disney "raped and murdered" their "childhoods "will be there at 7pm on December 19th 2019 to see how this trilogy ends.

4. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Well, I won't be there - unless you're offering to pay for my ticket :)

As I said earlier I simply don't care what happens to any of these new characters. Han is gone, Luke is a force-ghost, Leia will be written out somehow...

Yup. I'm done.

5. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

I was so sure that they would kill off Leia for obvious reasons that when her ship got hit I thought that's the end of her. Now I wonder how they gonna explain her absence unless she managed to film more stuff before she passed.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Opening crawl.

7. David Campbell

Notice I said " some". If you stick to your word, props to you....And no I'm not offering to buy your ticket.:)

Franky though,there's no way to verify whether or not someone who says they will sit IX out actually does, so forgive me if I take most claims with a grain of salt, especially over the internet. Of course I doubt the vocal " Dizney murdered muh Star Wars and raped muh childhood" brigade anyway. Thankfully the posters here seem to be sane and mature even when disliking this movie. Not the same story elsewhere sadly.

Even so...i wonder why many feel like they have the need to announce that anyway. I suspect it's usually a case of " he/she doth protest too much."

SJP, sunspot42 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  8. David Campbell

Yep. Its probably the only logical way to handle and acknowledge it at this point.

People who think they should have rewrote and reshot the movie because of what happened to Carrie. Really don't seem to get that would have been extremely financially irresponsible and time consuming. It wasn't just cutting her scenes out. It was also going to result in having to restructure the movie and force most of the last act to be reshot, requiring many of the actors to come back. Plus, can you imagine the outcry that would have occurred if they cut 90 percent of Carrie's last film performance? It would make the current Luke controversy look small by comparison.

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  9. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Return of the Jedi grossed more than Empire, because Empire left us with two cliffhangers, one of which stands as the most shocking plot twist in cinema history. There were 3 Star Wars-free years of fan speculation as to whether or not Vader was Luke’s father. Sith earned more than Clones, because everybody wanted to see Anakin become Darth Vader. As much as I love The Last Jedi, I’m not sure it left us with anything that will make Episode IX outgrossing its predecessor a safe bet.

Stratoblaster, sunspot42 and antonkk like this.
  10. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Exactly.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  11. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I think there will be a sense of grand conclusion leading into IX, the culmination of a series that by that point will be with us for 42 years. That intangible alone might spur IX's box office past The Last Jedi. Here are a few more reasons: Will Luke return as a Force ghost? How will Leia's character be handled? Was Kylo Ren telling Rey the truth about her parents? What happens next to the Resistance? Will Rey succeed in restoring the Jedi Order, along with Luke's faith in the process? Will Phasma return? What becomes of Chewie, Finn, Poe, Rose, BB-8, etc.?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  12. David Campbell

Exactly. It's not going to just be billed as the conclusion of just this trilogy, but as the conclusion of a 42 year old story. JJ Abrams has already said that they intend to connect this chapter not only to the Original trilogy, but the Prequels as well. It's going to be marketed as the finale to the 9 episode series George Lucas began in 1977. Don't be surprised if they somehow work in cameos of some other characters/actors we haven't seen in awhile. I think that alone, plus the Princess Leia question and Luke's ultimate destiny will spur at least some curiosity among the general public.

13. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just got back from viewing and have avoided all spoilers.

TLJ was too long.

I was very disappointed. I thought this was going to be a great movie. I enjoyed TFA more, even if it was the first rehashed. I could rip that movie too, but it was very enjoyable.

I thought TLJ lost all momentum after Supreme Leader Snoke was killed and so easily. I thought the movie was going in a different direction and it did not. I could go on but won't, I just think it fell flat on it's face after that scene.

Such build up till that point too. Oh well, it was just ok for me.

Jason Manley likes this.
  14. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

To that point, ROTJ made more than TESB upon its initial release and the adjusted total. I believe the lifetime gross (including re-releases of all 3) tells the same story.

How Much Every Star Wars Movie Has Made at the Box Office - IGN

[​IMG]

benjaminhuf and bferr1 like this.
  15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I haven't seen a STAR WARS movie all the way through since the third one, but was coaxed into a matinee of this.

I think I'm good for the next thirty years . . . Everytime I thought, Thank goodness this videogame is over, nope, we had yet another level to complete.

My old STAR WARS objections resurfaced, too. How are characters warping in and out of hyperspace without losing their chronological coordination? Why are the robots tasked with everything but fighting? How do laser-sighted lasers miss? Why is everything making noise in space? Does every alien breathe and eat and drink the exact same stuff that humans do? I know, I know, it's basically a children's movie, go with it, stop nitpicking . . .

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  16. Benefactor

Benefactor Forum Resident

It felt like a mélange of every Star Wars gimmick there has ever been, without any actual "glue" to hold the film together.

With that said, I found it thoroughly entertaining...

17. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

It's not getting old, those movies were lightning in a bottle.

It's very hard to catch that twice.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's getting old. I saw Star Wars for the first time in years back during the re-release in '97 I guess, and it's creaky as heck with bad acting and bad dialog. What made it mindblowing were the effects and the editing - as kids we'd never seen anything quite like it.

If Empire had been as lame the series would have died right there - your mind can only be blown by incredible effects and Dolby Stereo once. Fortunately, Empire dramatically stepped up the game, so much so that its glow has shined on the entire series ever since, lending it a kind of gravitas it simply wouldn't have otherwise.

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's extremely rare for a sequel to dramatically outperform the original when the original made boatloads of money.

Encuentro likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

benjaminhuf likes this.
  21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It's what drama queens do.

22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Precisely the point of view we need more of. :righton:

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Exactly. It’s a children’s saga, and closer to fantasy than science fiction.

The noise in space detail can be found in most science fiction adventure films and television series. The one exception that I’m aware of is Firefly. No sound in space in that one that I can recall.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Here's a VERY interesting perspective on Kylo Ren posted by Gamma_Winstead at Blu-ray.com:

Plan9, Song4U, Mazzy and 2 others like this.
  25. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I think the acting, actors and story line is what made the movies. The special effects were just an extra bonus.

If the acting was bad, it would have never worked and lasted as long as it has. I watch the trilogy at least 3 times a year, I still get excited when I watch it. It was the characters that made the movie, I will give you editing, but a movie doesn't have longevity without very good actors and that mix of chemistry.

Plan9 and FACE OF BOE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.