Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

They can be seen on this very thread!
    Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

I had removed the amps from the bottom after they developed static from their dirty trim pots, then once I got my Rogue amp I never looked back. One of these days I will refresh/re-use those amps, they do sound very good.

hifisoup likes this.
  2. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

That little colourful lamp on the right.. what is it called? Is it a special kind? What would I ask for? Yes, english is not my first language. :rolleyes:

3. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Is that a Tiffany Lamp?

Binni and bluemooze like this.
  4. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It is a lamp made by the Hoosin lamp company. They were in Chicago since the early 1970's but sadly have gone out of business since Richard Hoosin, their founder has aged and retired. They are constructed of sea shells and glass beads. We love them and have 4. Two like the one in the previous picture, and two like this...

[​IMG]
    The picture does not do the lamp justice. The room takes on a red glow when the two lamps are the only lights on.

33na3rd, hkm3, arar and 17 others like this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

This is such an interesting set up. Do people come out of their rooms to hang out in the lobby and watch movies? Or is this just for the front desk people, which if true, I'd like to put in an application.

timind and Bhob like this.
  6. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Continue with my system. I posted the view in front previously. Here is what I have at the back of sofa. Yes, bottom, middle, and top are subwoofers. :D Only the middle and top are being used.

Having the JL Audio d110 (at the top) about 1/3 of room height (~18 ft high ceiling) helps with room null of 70 to 80 hz in listening position.
    [​IMG]

CowFish, 33na3rd, Manimal and 6 others like this.
  7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

^^ How many beer bottles fit in that fridge? :angel:

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Just two 15" woofers handling 50 hz and lower. No beer unfortunately. :D

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Years back, I had an open lobby, but the lobby is also my living room. There is a manager's quarters, with a small living room, bedroom and a bathroom off of the lobby, accessible through a door next to the front desk, but I am using both rooms exclusively for audio storage, kitchen pantry and working motel storage.

We have a kitchen off of the office, but now it is just for our internal use as we do not operate a restaurant. We are just a small 20-unit motel.

I would have music playing all day in the lobby but being that it is also my living room, people don't sit down unless they are invited by me to do so.

Over the years, I have invited many of your guests to join us for dinner and a movie, also listening to music, with pleasant conversation.

The motel has evolved and we now have curated our clientele. I no longer accept walk in traffic and I don't do nightly rentals, I rent mostly by the week and have an established client base. We do not use the services of travel agents or online reservation companies, we just choose from those who visit our web site and then phone us.

Our motel has continued to evolve over the years. Back in the fall of 1013, I did away with a "lobby" as such. Years before that, I got rid of the other management personnel and now I operate the motel myself 24/7.

Now we have many friends who share our love and appreciation for audio and movies. We take new guests by appointment only, and when a guest wants to speak with me, they knock on the back door to my office.

But we are usually cooking and entertaining on a daily basis and most of our friends who share our commonality are WELCOME!

ANY SHF member who would like to visit with us is welcome to PM me as I have some very special rates for our forum members. Who are welcome to come and join in with our other guests and share music good company and entertainment with us. Please feel free to PM me and be sure to bring your music. CD's, DVD's, Blu-Ray's for the Oppo BDP-93, feeding into the 4k and the Peachtree iNova, with the ESS Saber DAC for audio, we have a vintage Vinyl Nirvana TT with the 2M Bronze and Black stylus, and you can plug your smartphone, directly into the iNova's analog input and we have different amps (both sand and glass), and lots of speakers to listen to.

And... those who may be reading this and are not yet members, yet another reason to join the SHF's!

I'm trying to upload images from Imgur but it is not letting me upload any images! Sorry...

10. SandAndGlass

Started Imgur in a new tab and it is allowing me to upload now.

New Blinds.

[​IMG]

This is a view of the front desk. There was a bookshelf built into the front, that I have converted into a DVD lending library. I buy used DVD's from a local used book store, when they hold their monthly sale, that weekend, DVD's are 42/ea.

In the corner is the right rear Klipsch WF-35 (this shot was from 2016 and the WF-35's have been moved from the front).

[​IMG]

On the top of the desk is the model truck that appears in my avatar. It is a 1963 Chevy StepSide C-10 pickup that was used in the Twilight Saga movies and was driven by Bella Swan.

[​IMG]

A close-up of the truck. This was before I used it for my Avatar photo shoot. There are actually two models, this one is now in storage and the one used in the photo shoot was removed from the base and now resides on the desk, without the display stand and it has the tubes that were used in the photo shoot.

The gorilla's name is Altec, and he sits wherever he wants to sit.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot looking towards the front door of the motel.

[​IMG]

This photo was taken Thanksgiving of 2012, the Turkey is kind of a giveaway. The tower speaker is a Polk Monitor 60 Series II that is the left rear speaker.

In the corner where the speaker is sitting, goes out 3" for the first 6' inside of the door. I think that the unusual room dimensions help reduce standing waves, but who knows?

The bottles of Coke that are under the credenza, are Kosher Coke, that is available before Passover. It is made with real cane sugar, because high fructose corn syrup is not Kosher for Passover. It also does not have the chemicals that regular Coke has, because chemicals are not Kosher either.

So I load up, when I have the opportunity to do so.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Donniej, CowFish, BeatleJWOL and 15 others like this.
  11. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

It does look quite similar to a Tiffany Lamp, an Art Nouveau design. Originals are expensive but there are plenty of good reproductions available from some reputable on-line sellers.

EddieMann and Binni like this.
  12. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

Upgraded my Wharfedales 10.1 to Focal Aria 936, sounds amazing !! still burning in as we speak.

[​IMG]

Picked them from this extensive line up at the store:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Did you compare to the B&W 704 S2s?

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thanks for the invite!

Manimal and SandAndGlass like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

I understand that it is a cold winter up in your neck of the woods this winter season, makes it en even better time to visit us in sunny South Florida!

We are having a lot of fun!

Manimal likes this.
  16. Oatp1b1

Oatp1b1 Forum Resident

New speakers (and terrible picture compared to other posters)! :)

Speakers: Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand SE
    Amplifier: Marantz PM15S1
    CD player: Marantz SA15S1
    DAC: Hegel HD11

[​IMG]

JUCO, barfko, CowFish and 37 others like this.
  17. Have never heard the VA's, but I'm huge fan of the Marantz Reference series! Nice! :)

18. OtisWms

OtisWms Member

19. kdejonge

kdejonge Forum Resident

I did, i actually heard the 704 and the cm8, they are on both sides of the focal on the bottom picture. I actually went in expecting the 704s to be nr 1 but I was blown away by the Focals, it was able to handle all the types of music I threw at it, from Doors, Dire Straits to Amorphis and Miles Davis without missing a step and so much liveliness!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    bluemooze likes this.
  20. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Very nice looking system, would love to see some of your comments about it.

Funky54, Bananas&blow and cat9 like this.
  21. I bought the b&w 702s several months ago but I also fell in love with the new Focals that were around 10k. More than twice the B&Ws. But they sounded wonderful.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Glad you found something that works for you. How was the Focal price?

23. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

How do the Walnut Aria's look in person?

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Upgrade for President’s Day!
    :bdance:

Mazzy likes this.
  25. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Funny you mention this. When I visited my dealer a couple of weeks ago to listen to the B&W 702 to compare to my CM 10S2s, he also played a pair of Focal Sopra No.2s for me. The last time I heard any Focal speakers (probably over 10 years ago), I was not the least bit impressed but theses are very impressive. I was quite surprised at how much I liked them! Fortunately, I can’t afford them so I don’t have to agonize about having bought the B&Ws instead of these. :)

Ham Sandwich likes this.