Richmond Fontaine - You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back To (2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

It's a dreadful thought to invoke, but I get spooked when musicians just appear to drop off the map. I really do hope she makes more music at some point.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies Thread Starter

This vinyl issue of Thirteen Cities is really nice, think this might be the first time I really sat down and gave it a listen, very clean and pretty flat, centered just about perfectly. Nice bass, maybe a touch loud, but sounds very good, and really nice to have on vinyl, very nice 2-LP gatefold package, well made, good stock thickness, nice paper sleeves, pretty much just like an old double record package. It is a bit disconcerting the first time you hear the extra session tracks mixed in the sequence, but I was familiar with all the extras and love all the songs, so easy to get used to. This and the RSD Luna Penthouse reissue has been pretty much my weekend playlist, and I've loved every minute. Really, really great stuff :)

And yea, there was some Nina Nastasia vinyl in the mix, as in most weekends, this time On Leaving. Maybe twice around, love that record almost as much as anything. Beautiful.

And I think it was Odessey and Oracle before that, yea, I do listen occasionally to old records too :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    stefane, craigobau and trueblue like this.
  3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Very happy to see that Willy Vlautin has a new novel, Don't Skip Out On Me, coming out in February 2018, which will be accompanied by a soundtrack CD, which Willy has done for some of his previous novels.

Willy has scheduled two "Evenings of Music of Words" in the north of England in late January 2018 so hopefully we might see him down south in London around this time.

Davey and Ernest T like this.
  4. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Just finished reading Willy's new book, Don't Skip Out on Me, and without hesitation I think it's his best so far. The writing and characters are outstanding

I now looking forward to delving into the RF instrumental album which accompanied the book (and Willy's show in London on 1st February).

Ernest T likes this.
  5. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Willy is in Dublin ( Whelans) on 29 January.

6. Davey

I'm curious what new music some of the Richmond Fontaine fans were listening to this year, anything really stand out in the Americana realm, or doesn't have to be that sound, whatever made you take notice, I didn't really hear much music like RF this year. The Joan Shelley record is great as always, The Hired Hands tribute to Bruce Langhorne was pretty great, but many of the artists are a bit more on the experimental side than RF. The Richard Dawson record is pretty special, but kinda tires me out in big doses, it's so dramatic. My favorites this year were quite a bit removed from the RF sound, Virginia Wing, Jacaszek, Chihei Hatakeyama, Principe Valiente, Jane Weaver and some of the others.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  7. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Happy New Year Davey!

A few of my favorite Americana/alt-country albums from this past year.

Courtney Marie Andrews - Honest Life
    Son Volt - Notes of Blue
    Marty Stuart - Way Out West
    Trummors - Headlands
    Dead Man Winter - Furnace
    Jake Xerxes Fussell - What in the Natural World

I'm not great at describing music so you'll have to listen to a song or two to see if there's anything you might like.

8. Davey

Thanks, I did listen to Marty Stuart and Jake Xerxes Fussell (partly because of the last song with Joan Shelley), and both are obviously very good at what they are doing, but neither completely won me over. Other than those two and Son Volt, don't know the others. I'll give them a listen.

Ernest T likes this.
  9. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

It's going to be a busy year for Willy, the film version of Lean on Pete is due out soon too.

10. Davey

Hopefully Amy is healthy enough for the Delines to get back together and finish the record and do some dates too. Sounds selfish, I know, but wish her all the best in the new year, fantastic band.

Ernest T likes this.
  11. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Logic tells me that if you like RF and The Delines there is a good chance you would like Courtney Marie Andrews. Let me know what you think:)

12. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Apparently we should see the second Delines album around August 2018. Cannot wait!

Ernest T likes this.
  13. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The gig website SongKick is showing a new The Delines show in The Netherlands in April 2019 with the show blurb saying the new album will now be released in February 2019.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Davey and Ernest T like this.
  14. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Delines UK/Irish tour dates in Jan/Feb 2019 just announced! Info on the new album "coming soon".

The Delines

Davey likes this.
  15. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Awesome news! Looking forward to hearing some new songs.

until then:winkgrin:

16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

The new The Delines album, The Imperial, will be released on 22nd January!!!!

Bandcamp link below (one of the songs, Eddie and Polly is available for streaming):

The Imperial, by The Delines

Very excited to hear this album and see the band in the UK in January/February.

eelkiller and Ernest T like this.
  17. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

18. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

I have my ticket for Dublin.

heliocentric likes this.
  19. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Try anything by Sean Rowe
    Eileen Jewell
    Small Town Heroes by Hurray For The Riff Raff
    More Miles Than Money by Alejandro Escovedo does bleak ballads extremely well from the 90’s more of a rock n roller but this live record is sad songs with minimal instruments
    The Felice Brothers
    Don’t Blame The Stars by Black Swans
    God Don’t Never Change Tribute to Blind Willie Johnson
    Parker Milsap
    Wayward Angel by Corrina Steele
    David Rawlings

Davey likes this.
  20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

London and Brighton for me.

heliocentric likes this.
  21. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Available for pre-order

store » The Delines

p.s. if anyone ever sees a Scenic Sessions CD for sale, I would be interested.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    craigobau likes this.
  22. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Scenic Sessions has appeared a few times on Discogs, but the cheapest I've seen it is USD$70

Rough Trade are selling the new album with a bonus 5-track CD with all editions. The vinyl editions also include a 7 inch single with 2 unreleased tracks:

The Delines - The Imperial – Rough Trade

23. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

I guess I'll have to live with the MP3 until I find a reasonable CD price.

I pre-ordered The Imperial through their site, no mention of a bonus CD. Now I want a bonus CD:(

24. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

25. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

So excited to read this, I've never heard the Liverpool venue but it's a no brainer for me.

Pre-ordered the vinyl and this too....

The Delines - Scenic Sessions – Rough Tra

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Ernest T, craigobau and Davey like this.