Old TV Shows that don't suck (revisited)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fr in sc, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Yeah, I know. Just not all that interested in purchasing. Maybe I'll look it up on utube.

bmasters9 likes this.
  2. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Remember the 60s series Wendy & Me? Connie Stevens, George Burns and Ron Harper starred. I was around 10 at the time and thought it was incredibly funny. Watched a bit of it on Utube and was struck with how different the 10 year old me is from the 63 year old me. :shrug:

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Not very funny now, I take it?

4. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

The Fugitive, Mannix, Boris Karloff's Thrillers and Sea Hunt are all good shows. For me, dramas from years ago hold up better than comedies.

Scott

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I watched the pilot episode and it was okay. Connie's character reminded me of Lisa on Green Acres only without that show's surrealism. She comes off like an adolescent inhabiting an adult woman's body but I guess that's nothing new in American television. Here's the episode if anyone's interested:

bmasters9 likes this.
  6. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I like the 1960s Western The Virginian. But be warned, since it was 90 minutes long (75 minutes without commercials), each episode is like a little movie. You have to be patient....But I like it so much with my son's tech help I made a little fan trailer a couple of years ago....

milankey likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

except for The Munsters!

8. Michael

how is the picture quality?

9. Michael

2 of my favorite showsdo you own the DVD set of FT? I read over at Amazon that the reissue of FT is edited?

10. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

The Wonder Years. As fresh and funny as I remember it. The music's not bad either... ;)

11. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

The High Chapparal
    Randall and Hopkirk Deceased

beccabear67 likes this.
  12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Really pretty good. As I said, the series sat unused for years in the vault, so there was no wear and tear on the prints. The opening credits tend to look the grainiest, but when the episodes start, they're quite crisp and clear.

Straight from the DVD:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Grand_Ennui and beccabear67 like this.
  13. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I don't have any of them on purchased disc; "Police Squad" and "Frank's Place" I recorded when they were on the air. The two I would buy, though, are "The Twilight Zone" and "Fawlty Towers". Why in the hell would anyone put out an edited set of "FT"??? :crazy:

C.

14. Michael

thanks Harry...

15. Michael

I don't know considering it was a short series...

16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

One series that I think got better as it went on is Love, American Style. At first the stories were rooted in the ordinary but it soon went into some very interesting twists. One was where a man's best friend discovers that he can read minds while eating fish, and discovers a young woman is completely in love with his friend (he mentions that before they've even met she's gone beyond the wedding and kids and on to the divorce). Although some of the first season has been released on home video, the entire series hasn't.

17. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Twilight Zone
    Emergency (my absolute favorite from childhood)
    I recently revisited my other favorite, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, and was happy to find it held up really well (i.e., creeped me out in broad daylight).

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Fawlty Towers.

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Shows that enjoy now as much as I did on their 1st run are as follows.
    1.Ozzie&Harriet(Ricky could rock!)
    I was P.O.'d when Batman replaced it in 1966.
    2.I Dream of Jeannie was/is the grooviest TV sitcom ever&Barbara Eden is one the sexiest women to ever walk this earth.Period.
    3.The Bob Newhart Show the 1st of many BN sitcoms is still a gas to watch.Bob as a psycharist surrounded by a bunch of loons makes for hilarious entertainment.
    4.Taxi is the 2nd funniest sitcom of the 1970s.
    5.All in the Family broke so many rules and pushed so many envelopes in its time its hard to think of a more important TV show.
    6.Cheers the premeir sitcom of the 80s&the funniest.Norm!
    7.Rawhide a young Clint Eastwood
    makes this a intelligent hip western
    series of the early 60s.
    8.Green Acres with Lisa's hotcakes (Eva Gabor) Mr.Haney,Mr.Kimball&Arnold the talking pig this makes for fine entertainment.
    9.Man From Uncle spawned out of the James Bond craze of the 60s is a very entertaining series.Robert
    Vaughan&David McCallum are cast
    perfect as the U.N.C.L.E. spies.It was
    so popular that a game was
    marketed after the series.
    10.The Prisoner beyond description except a perfect Orwellian 1984 British series from the late 60s with Patrick McGoghan as the #6 prisoner of the system.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    beccabear67 likes this.
  20. samthesham

Monty Pythons Flying Circus&Fawlty Towers

21. Michael

One Step Beyond...wish they would have continued with the official seasons...we are still stuck with the inferior public domain DVDs...

beccabear67 likes this.
  22. Michael

Ozzie & Harriet; ironically the Shout factory DVDs are edited/cut and the Mill Creek 100 episode box is not and it has the original commercials but, the PQ is not great...still glad we have that box...too bad the sharks got a hold of this one. : ( but the 38 episode box is $1.99 at Amazon.
    [​IMG]

samthesham likes this.
  23. samthesham

Cool.I need to cop one of those.FYI there is old DVD compilation of all Rickys performances on the show that is essential to any RN collection.Anyway good info.Thanks.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

for $1.99 you can't go wrong...I checked around on line and the 100 episode box is available for $25 or less...google it. :)

25. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

The Invaders
    A Quinn Martin Production
    [​IMG]

rcarlton, samthesham and beccabear67 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.