All the Money in the World

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The only other place that I know of something like that happening was Nazi Germany, when an actor with a large supporting role escaped Germany. His whole role would be re-filmed with a loyal German. WOMEN ARE THE BEST DIPLOMATS(1939-41), Germany's first color feature, was an example.

2. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The new official trailer is up on YouTube.

It looks like a good film. It's always nice seeing Michelle Williams in a lead role.

Dudley Morris and Zoot Marimba like this.
  3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Just got back from seeing this — it’s really good. I’m amazed Scott reshot all the scenes with Christopher Plummer (starting, I guess, in mid-November) and still got the movie out by Christmas. I had no idea the filmmaking process could work that fast.

Also, I finally get what the reference to J. Paul Getty’s ear in “Last Child” is all about! :D

Dan C likes this.
  4. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I just watched the film and think it is excellent.

willy and scousette like this.
  5. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Maybe one day we'll get to see both versions?

6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'd like to suggest a few other ideas to make the film world a better place. Let's erase Mel Gibson from Mad Max and replace him with Shia LeBoeuf. Erase Woody Allen from the movie, Manhattan and replace him with Daniel Radcliffe.

Winona Ryder can be erased from Girl, Interrupted and replaced by Ana Kendrick.

Robert Blake no way. Replace him with Robert Downey Jr. Replace Robert Downey Jr. with Johnny Depp. Replace Johnny Depp with Anne Hathaway.

Get rid of OJ in the Airplane! movies and replace him with Dwayne The Rock Johnson. In fact, directors can film multiple versions of movies in case an actor slips or is accused of anything.

Replace Jerry Mathers with Jay North. Replace Bruce the shark with Flipper.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    kwadguy, Humbuster and Lightworker like this.
  7. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Flips can actually act. If you've ever seen the episode wherein he was warned not to go near the 'coral reef because they were going to blow it up'. But he did and they did! So Flips got some kind of concussion and authentically wavered in the water with his fins out, doing an excellent job of conveying a dolphin stunned by a shock wave. So perhaps he hasn't taken on a lot of roles since because he's not interested in being typecast. Maybe Richard III or Othello underwater.

8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The director has said he'll make sure this never happens. I guess we'll see though.

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Did this film really warranted to be made in first place.
    I think american audeince has basically abandoned this kind of movie
    Sure there great for oscars but for movie goer..
    Most rather watch something as escapism.

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I thought Plummer was outstanding in this. For the first few scenes I was watching to see if I could spot where they’d digitally added him in, but I soon became lost in his portrayal, so much so that I can hardly imagine another actor being so good in it. Considering he probably hadn’t even read the script two months ago, it’s quite an accomplishment.

11. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I agree. I thought that Plummer was ideal for the role, and can't imagine how Kevin Spacey could have played it nearly as well.

I am a Kevin Spacey fan. I love his work in House of Cards, for example. But after seeing Plummer's portrayal of the character, I just can't see Kevin Spacey in it.

willy, Dan C and mrjinks like this.
  12. mrjinks

Though we (so far) have only the original trailer to go on, I get the feeling Spacey was just going to play Getty as cold and uncaring. Thought he's such a talented actor, I'm sure he would've brought more to it...

To me, Plummer played the role like he was being sensible - that of course he wouldn't pay the ransom, as he'd then be painted into a corner if the same situation arose again. He even had an air of (elderly) befuddlement - why would anyone view things differently when he was so clearly being logical?

You can see the differences in the original trailer - Spacey says he'd pay "nothing" for his grandson but he says it with an emotional emptiness. Plummer says the "nothing" line like it's the only logical thing to say, and that he's perplexed anyone's even asking him the question.

I know I'm reading wayyy too much into one word of dialogue, but it's kind of fun to do. :D

Gavinyl, Dudley Morris, willy and 3 others like this.
  13. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I agree with this. Plummer was brilliant, and this was an incredibly well made and entertaining movie. Scott is such a fine filmmaker, even without the Spacey controversy I think this film would generate buzz.

Great acting all around as well. Michelle Williams is amazing as always, and though I can't recall the actor's name his performance as the kidnapper was pretty deep and nuanced.

Honestly I didn't notice any digital trickery whatsoever. I had assumed they would've used at least some green screen inserts for shots they couldn't reshoot, but they all slipped past me. Pretty much as soon as things got started I was sucked right in and whole reshoot business vanished from my brain. Great movie.

dan c

Hot Ptah, kwadguy and mrjinks like this.
  14. mrjinks

The ONE spot I did notice, and it might have been Plummer’s first scene, was the one in the Middle East/Africa. I’m guessing it was a remote shoot they couldn’t recreate on short notice. Plummer looked “added in” to my untrained eye there, but then I quickly got lost in the story and stopped looking!

Hot Ptah and Dan C like this.
  15. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

You mean you guess we'll either see it or not---o_O

16. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

My wife and I saw this last weekend. I was thoroughly entertained, and it's been awhile since I could say that. I've seen a lot of drivel at the movie theater this year (Lucky Logan, Baby Driver, etc.). I know there is a lot of praise for Christopher Plummer's performance, but the acting that knocked me out was Michelle Williams -- she was simply outstanding. I'm ambivalent about Mark Wahlberg -- not outstanding but not a disaster. And the kidnapee -- Charlie Plummer -- he has got to do a screen biopic of Peter Frampton! He would be a dead ringer.

Dan C likes this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Question did it make any money back?

18. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

:biglaugh:

19. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I saw the movie yesterday and really enjoyed it. Never bored or wished a scene would end. Well, except the scene where the ear was cut off. I've been distracted with work related stuff the last couple of months and did not even realize Spacey was supposed to be in the flick.

20. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Not at all. I think that's a spot-on interpretation. I get the feeling Spacey's portrayal would have been more along the lines of Frank Underwood - sheer sinister manipulation. Plummer, as you said, portrays Getty as practical. Which, in a way, is even more scary.
    So long as all the principles involved are still alive, I doubt this will ever happen. It may leak, but I doubt the studio will ever willingly release it. This will be Song of the South-level burying.

mrjinks likes this.
  21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Saw this today and liked it. Plummer was great, though in a way, it might have been fitting if the last role of Spacey's career was playing such a bastard, even if one of a different stripe.

For anyone who knows details of the real events, what were the glaring changes (if any) for dramatic license?

Gavinyl likes this.
  22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Just saw on my local news that Mark Wahlberg was paid $1.5 million for the reshoots, while Michelle Williams received $1,000... :yikes:

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I saw it last night (my first use of my new MoviePass card!) and really enjoyed it. My wife and I disagree about the little Minotaur statue - if Getty gave his grandson a cheap trinket with a great story, or if he paid $11 for something that you could buy in the museum shop for $10 and thought it was priceless. I mention that because Getty got ripped off a number of times with fake artwork, and as W.C. Fields pointed out, you can't cheat an honest man.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This headline is all over the place, but it is misleading. Williams volunteered to waive her salary for the reshoots, because she felt so strongly that the movie should come out. She was given per diems, which added up to around $1,000.

Wahlberg was never asked to waive his salary, and apparently he was paid what he ordinarily would have been paid.

Making things more confusing, the producers of the movie said last month that all actors did the reshoots for free. Obviously, this and the reports coming out now can't both be true. I wish Williams and/or Wahlberg would set the record straight publicly.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.