Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Interesting, but was Han a deadbeat dad? I didn’t get that impression from The Force Awakens. What I recall him telling Leia is that he went back to doing the only thing he was good at, smuggling, after losing Ben to the dark side.

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Kylo does tell Rey that Han would have disappointed her as a father figure. We don't know much more beyond that.

sunspot42 and Encuentro like this.
  3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

This writer does indicate some important points and I think it all shows how having so many directors involved in the plot and script shows sometimes things just don't flow like they should. When I read that another director would be doing The Last Jedi...I said to myself there are too many producers trying to convey what they think Star Wars should be that I feared it would become disjointed. Then I'm sure we also have Disney interjecting their input about what they think should occur in the films as well. It's just too many people with too many ideas and it shows in TLJ. It's like TLJ wanted to cover so much (too many characters going off in different directions) that they neglected the audience in allowing us to form a connection. I'm all for having new and exciting characters but when they try to introduce so many there is only so much time allotted for so many.

I think that is what made the original Trilogy work so well because the audience had a vested interest in Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and Darth Vader, R2D2 and C3PO, we looked forward to each character and what would happen next.

mpayan, sunspot42, The Hermit and 3 others like this.
  4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

One of the most thoughtful critiques of TLJ and Star Wars in general. Probably the only critical video on YouTube of TLJ I could sit through this past week without rolling my eyes. I don't completely agree with him, but he makes great points about the saga and this movie. It's a bit long but worth sitting through,IMO.

Song4U and Electric Warrior like this.
  5. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This film is still awesome. That is all.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

You read most of your sci-fi/space fantasy, don't you?

benjaminhuf and sunspot42 like this.
  7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Guilty as charged.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Yeah, the literary types tend to have higher standards for their pulp/action-adventure space flicks. Standards rarely met.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I can think of one scene that had silence in space...

[​IMG]

10. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

I had a teacher in high school who used to play Dungeons and Dragons with us :D

sunspot42 and David Campbell like this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

What most people don't get is that SW is not 'Science Fiction' - it is fantasy. Many people can't seem to separate the two genres. Something like Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica is more sci-fi, but SW has never pretended to be realistic or based on real science. It's more LOTRs than traditional sci-fi.

So you can't approach these films expecting science based rules to apply. And that isn't a cop-out it's just what it is, like ignoring gravity in space. So you have to just accept it as it is rather than being bugged by these issues.

There is room in the movie world for fantasy space epics and 'hard' sci-fi - it doesn't all have to be the same.

12. David Campbell

Exactly. Which the video I posted last night above points out. Which is why, while I don't completely agree with all of his problems with the more recent Star Wars movies, I am willing to listen because he understands that and doesn't hold these movies to a false standard they were never meant to stack up to.

Most of the " Dizney/Rian Johnson killed my childhood!" Drama queens that have posted videos slamming TLJ nitpicks the bomb scene and screech about how that one scene is horrible because it's scientifically inaccurate etc...And we know damn well if they got the exact type of fan service they were craving/ demanding, that scene wouldn't have bothered them, because Star Wars is riddled with things that defy scientific laws.

The only reason usually that is brought up in those rants is because they can't come out at the start and reveal the real reason they hate the movie, because they know deep down it's rooted in childishness and being petty, so they reach for other reasons that usually wouldn't matter. When I see someone mention the bomb scene that's a litmus test to stop watching for me. It reveals the true nature of said rant which 99percent of the time is tied to " not muh Star Wars".

In other words, intellectual honesty goes a long way.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    sunspot42, Jim B., Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

One of my favorite take-downs of the original Star Wars. It doesn't make me like the original any less, but it does supply an effective counter to those so-called purists who complain that TLJ isn't Star Wars, or that things that happen in TLJ are stupid.

On the Implausibility of the Death Star’s Trash Compactor

John K.

sunspot42 and Plan9 like this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Sometimes I wonder if people insisting that everything must make scientific sense in a fictional story for them to enjoy it, don't suffer from a form of autism that prevents them to recognize and understand metaphors in said fictions.

15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Either that or maybe some people just have to be the smartest ones in the room....

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    David Campbell likes this.
  16. David Campbell

Vidiot and sunspot42 like this.
  17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I don't see it anymore as R1 and TLJ under-performing. It's more like TFA over-performed.

David Campbell and sunspot42 like this.
  18. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The acting is bad in Star Wars. Bad. Made even worse by the presence of Alec Guinness and Peter Cushing, who make the others look like the amateurs they were, and the atrocious dialog written by George Lucas. (It's noteworthy that one of the best lines in the entire film - "Boring conversation anyway" - was an adlib from Ford.)

The one thing that saves the performances is the fact they're supposed to be a gang of eff-ups. So the flailing about kinda works in context.

The most shocking thing about Empire is how much Carrie Fisher and especially Harrison Ford had improved by that point. Hamill too, although perhaps not as much. Again, I didn't notice this as a kid, but it was starkly apparent on rewatching the cinematic re-release of the trilogy in the '90s. The improved dialog in the second film didn't hurt, either.

19. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I believe that the looser atmosphere of Empire may have contributed to the improved performances. Irvin Kershner allowed the actors to ad lib, something that Lucas wasn’t too thrilled about. One of the most famous lines, “I know,” was an ad lib, as was Hamill’s “You’re lucky you don’t taste very good,” inexplicably changed to “You were lucky to get out of there” for the Special Edition.

David Campbell, enro99 and sunspot42 like this.
  20. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

Funny enough, The Phantom Menace was the only film I’d ever attended where the entire audience stood up and applauded at the end (and that was done out of approval, not relief the film was over!). I’d never seen that happen before or after.

MikeInFla and David Campbell like this.
  21. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I saw The Last Jedi. I liked it. Have no idea where I would rank it yet- I certainly like it as much as The Force Awakens. Mark Hamill’s performance really helped bridge the gap between the original trilogy and this one for me personally.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Aaaaaaaaaand... the movie just hit a billion dollars worldwide:

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' box office hits $1 billion worldwide

:):laugh::):laugh::):laugh::):laugh::):laugh::):laugh:

23. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

24. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Who here has seen it more than 3 times?

25. David Campbell

I had a somewhat similar experience watching TPM the first time opening day in 1999. In my case the entire audience didn't get up and applaud, but quite a few did. I wasn't one of them as I was sorta mixed at the time.

The other times I've experienced that was at the end of THE DARK KNIGHT and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, BATMAN V SUPERMAN ( yes I'm serious) , SPIDER-MAN 2, and THE FORCE AWAKENS.

mj_patrick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.