Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Kovacevich is among one of the very few native-born American pianists I like but that list does not include Van Cliburn ...

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Yeah, I am not big on Cliburn either.

3. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think I have 4 of his piano concerto recordings on the RCA Living Stereo SACDs. I like his Tchaikovsky Concerto No. 1 but the others don't do much for me. For example the Pollini - Bohm recording I recently got of the Beethoven Emporer Concerto smokes the Van Cliburn version to my ears!

George P likes this.
  4. coopmv

Same here! I have a grand total of 4 recordings by Van Cliburn - one SACD and three redbooks and I do have a good sized piano music collection ...

5. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

My collection is probably smaller. The Van Cliburn Tchaikovsky is the only recording I have of that work but I like it so probably won't seek out another version. Do you have that one and if so do you also like it? I'm not too knowledgeable about piano playing so appreciate other opinions. George's positive opinion regarding the Pollini Beethoven Emporer as one of the best was spot on!

George P likes this.
  6. coopmv

I have the following SACD, which is probably what you have as well ...

[​IMG]

IIRC, I think it is okay though I have quite a few other versions that are better.

vanhooserd likes this.
  7. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Yes that is the one I have. I listened to it about a week ago and really enjoyed the Tchaikovsky but the Rachmaninoff didn't do much for me.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Same here. I have not listened to that disc in ages. I need to revisit it.

George P and bruce2 like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

That recording of the "Choral Fantasy" is a real winner. What a peculiar piece! I've heard it said that it may in part be an improvisation that Beethoven subsequently wrote down. Whatever, I've always enjoyed it, even if it is, by Beethovenian standards, a bit wacky at times. Do the program notes mention, as my single issue ones do, that at least at that time the "Choral Fantasy" was the traditional closing number at the end-of-festival Marlboro Festivals each year? Oh, by the way, for those who audition equipment now and again, the "Choral Fantasy" is an ideal test piece, because it has a bit of almost everything: solo piano, piano and orchestra, solo voices, chorus, full orchestra, and little episodes for many of the major orchestral choirs--more than a hundred years before Benjamin Britten's "Young Person's Guide."

In keeping with this piece, let me wish everyone at CMC a fantastic 2018!

Wes H and George P like this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

The trouble with Cliburn is that his winning entry into the Tchaikowsky competition, which catapulted him to instant center stage fame, was a "hail, Mary" effort to turn around a career that up until then had been heading nowhere fast. Naturally, once he came back as a Cold War artistic hero, everyone expected him to play everything and to play it at the same kind of level that had won the prize in Moscow--but his prepared repertory was quite narrow, and now he didn't have time to broaden and polish it. From more or less ignored to far too much attention too quickly and too soon--not a happy formula for sustained success.

And yet he could deliver some lovely musical goods when conditions were right. Somewhere or other I have a collection of Brahms short piano solos, bits and pieces from among the intermezzi and capriccios and whatnot, that I used to enjoy quite a lot. I suppose I really should dig them out and give them another whirl.

crispi, ubertrout and bruce2 like this.
  11. George P

I agree that solo Brahms is one area where Cliburn does well.

I decided to pull out my sole Cliburn release and give the aforementioned Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto 1 a spin:

[​IMG]

I am only a few minutes in, but I was surprised by the immediacy of the recording. I was previously listening to a pop CD and actually had to turn the volume down a bit. :eek:

12. coopmv

Now playing this long forgotten LP from my early music collection ...

[​IMG]

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Happy New Year, Classical Music Corner! :wave:

I can't let New Year's Day pass without playing some GG... so into the CD player goes Bach Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Preludes and Fugues 1-8 from the "remastered" (2015) box set.
    Recorded in June & September, 1962, at Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC.

[​IMG]

hvbias, vanhooserd, Joe F and 2 others like this.
  14. George P

Happy New Year, @Wes H and my fellow Classical Music Corner friends! :wave:

Wes H likes this.
  15. coopmv

Happy New Year, George!

First question of the New Year.
    It looks like this box consists of mainly recycled recordings I already own, can you comment?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. George P

Same to you, Stuart! :wave:

Sorry, I am not familiar with that box. I see that they included his Rach PC 1, which is second to only Janis/Kondrashin.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As I posted in the Classical Mega Boxes thread I avoid labels like Documents. Their sets may be a bargain, but they usually sound not as good as official sets (i.e. sets released by the owners of the recordings) that are taken from original sources like mastertapes etc. and the packaging is mostly minimal.

18. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  19. George P

I'm not sure, but if it was, it's worth mentioning again! Happy New Year!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    RiRiIII likes this.
  20. George P

[​IMG]

No, he's nor singing, he conducting (and playing the piano.) And it's awesome!

RiRiIII and crispi like this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

You're sure he's not playing air guitar? ;)

RiRiIII and crispi like this.
  22. George P

:laugh:

23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I also enjoy that disc!.

George P likes this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

George, I have the Rubinstein Living Stereo SACD of these concertos. Do you find the Zimerman superior in sound and performance?

25. George P

Yes and yes.