The one album you would play for a friend getting into lp's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Edward Link, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Edward Link

Gary Edward Link Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK. First off, if there are other posts on this subject, I apologize upfront. I looked (not too hard though). I'm new here. So, you have invited your friend over...he's thinking about getting into lp's and you have time to play him one album. What would it be? Don't lose him now. There's a lot riding on this.

My choice would be an original pressing of Grand Funk Railroad's "Closer to Home". It's so wide, deep in its sound. The bass booms. The grooves are cavernous. Love it.

Thoughts?

Szeppelin75 and Gramps Tom like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I take it you mean introducing them to Vinyl? I've no idea why you'd do such a thing, I'd put on whatever they wanted to hear.

3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

The Dark Side Of The Moon.

4. Castle in the air

Castle in the air Forum Resident

Main Course by the Bee Gees...the epitome of R&B,funk,rock and the dawn of disco.

tages, Fullbug and Hadean75 like this.
  5. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Depends on what the friend is into.

6. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

It would honestly depend on where their tastes predominatedly lie. There are hundreds of magical albums I could suggest, but they may very well be turned off by them! In which case, I might end up doing more harm to their musical enjoyment than good. :)

Lonevej, MOON and Hadean75 like this.
  7. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

8. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Something by the Butthole Surfers, probably Hairway To Steven

9. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

10. WaxHammer

WaxHammer Forum Resident

They say the cotton club soundtrack is good demo vinyl. I’d say Dark Side, but it has come to light lately of the bad distortion. Is this friend into old rock music? Is itnto convert them into an audiophile or to get into flipping over records?

11. Gary Edward Link

Gary Edward Link Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. LP's (Vinyl). My query is more about the introduction of the sound of an lp rather than the type of music they would want to hear. Something that would make them go wow!

12. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

“Icky Thump” by the White Stripes. SH-mastered version. Hands down.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

anything really as long as its not a cheapo label (pickwick etc)

14. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I'd play him my original pressing of Donald Fagen's "The Nightfly" to show that person:

1. Vinyl CAN sound better than digital (I can go "head to head" with several digital versions)
    2. Used original LP pressings can sound as good or if not better than reissues
    3. The magic that Bob Ludwig possess and worked on that mastering
    4. Because that LP kicks a** and I never get tired of listening to it

15. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

[​IMG]

clhboa and Scope J like this.
  16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Something new, from the brickwall era. The classics sound great, but even most of the common digital versions of Dark Side sound pretty good, so it wouldn't be the same initial revelation, as, say, hearing the new Beck or Depeche Mode albums without all the clipping and compression.

17. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Now I see. In that case, if just for pure sonic bliss, maybe an original mono pressing of "Pet Sounds". I always say there is no greater-sounding album ever produced. A very biased opinion on my part though. But I do believe that. :)

Or maybe a RL pressing of "Led Zeppelin II".

I'm just thinking of ones from my own collection that blow me away sonically, if not for other reasons. Not that I have the world's greatest stereo or anything.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Fender Relic and papatwo like this.
  19. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

“The Nightfly” was recorded digitally, it’s a great sounding record but perhaps not the best representation of the format. I’d offer up something mastered one of this forum’s heroes, e.g. George Piros (Led Zep II, Yes-Fragile, Allman Bros-Fillmore East), George “Porky” Peckham (Deep Purple-Made in Japan, Elvis Costello-Armed Forces), Bob Ludwig (A/C-Back in Black, The Band s/t, Hendrix-Band Of Gypsys), Harry T. Moss (Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here, any of his Beatles LPs), etc.

20. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Good point! Then I'd have to throw down my original RL mastered pressing Of Zeppelin II. Unfortunately, it's not one of the copies they had to pull back but it sounds just as hot lol

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I would try to play something they were familiar with. That's how they can tell how true (or better than what they have heard) the music is they know.
    A few years ago, my brother-in-law (a huge Steely Dan fan,) came to visit. I spun Katy Lied (a hot stamper), he just stood there like in a trance.

driverdrummer and GroovyGuy like this.
  22. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Possible curveball, but, on the basis that acoustic instruments sound ace on vinyl, I’d recommend either Fisherman’s Blues or Room to Roam by the Waterboys. If he/she enjoys those, the next stop should be The Colour Of Spring by Talk Talk (Spirit of Eden is a stronger album, but CoS really gets the most out of the vinyl form).

Hammerpeg likes this.
  23. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I would definitely not throw down my Japanese Magical Mystery Tour (EAP-9030x), it’s VERY bright.*

24. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Pink Floyd - Animals
    Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    Rush - Hemispheres

rcsrich, driverdrummer and CBS 65780 like this.
  25. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I'd play him some old scratchy album to allow him to appreciate the full effects of the pops, crackle & jumps that LP's are so good at providing.

WillieDaPimp, GroovyGuy and DPK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.