Anyone own Musical Fidelity M5si Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

I’m looking to buy a new integrated amp, and I’m interested in the Musical Fidelity M5, but there doesn’t seem to be many reviews online, or threads on this forum.

Would anyone that has this amp or has heard it be kind enough to provide some feedback?

2. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I have the 'regular' A5 int amp.

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

What do you think about the overall sound and quality. I’m surprised there isn’t as much info online about this company.

4. Erik Tracy

As long as my A5 works - I'm keeping it.

Oodles of power, low end control and grunt, balanced highs, vg internal phono preamp, has HT Bypass/Direct, preouts. Built and weighs like a tank.

5. Vinyl Fan 1973

I just recently discovered this company, and I found an M5si second hand for a great price, so I’m thinking of nabbing it. I was originally looking at Hegel H80, Peachtree Nova 150, Rogue Sphinx v2, and Unison Research Unico Primo.

All get great reviews but then there was a little something that would make me doubt it would work for me. The M5si seems so we’ll built and great value for the money.

6. Erik Tracy

If it's used, for a good value, and from a reputable seller - even if you don't like it, you could flip it back w/ no-little loss.

At least you got a chance to hear it in *your* system.

7. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Not sure where you've been looking, but Musical Fidelity has been around a long time. The Internet is full of info about them and their products. Their sound signature is British, slightly warm with a lot of detail.

ramdom, Swann36, blind_melon1 and 2 others like this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’ve been using google and various forums to get feedback. Even YouTube has very little. Most I’ve found talk about the M3si and the M6si, but what I have found has been great feedback.

I think the reason is this line of amp is relatively new to North America, with most written reviews coming from Europe.

I’m going to take the plunge and order this amp.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  9. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Happy owner of the M6si here.

Have also heard M5si. Both are based on the same (dual mono) topology, and sound very similar. As Erik suggested, you should try in your system first.

Based on my experience with M6si.

Top build quality, incredible control of bottom end and a great sense of rhythm and timing. Not overly analytical. Doesn’t exaggerate HF. So, if you are a fan of “bright” (analytical) sound, this may not be an amp for you. I personally find my M6si very neutral.

Works with all types of music. I can listen for hours without any fatigue.

I also found that speaker cables used can make a noticeable difference in sound with both of these amps. More so than any other amps I tried or used in the past.

Hope this helps.

Regards

10. Vinyl Fan 1973

Awesome! What you describe is what I’m after, in fact I’m running a pair of Focals 816’s and they are very neutral speakers so I prefer to have an amp that is slightly on the warm side of neutral. I certainly don’t like bright sounding gear.

DrZhivago likes this.
  11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Sorry, I thought you meant in general.

12. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Musical Fidelity is a great brand and has been around forever. I have a Musical Fidelity XRAY v8 CDP that's now being used in my wifes office. Built like a tank! Sound is outstanding. their amps are a very good product.

Vinyl Fan 1973 and DrZhivago like this.
  13. Vinyl Fan 1973

Purchased the amp, should be here on Friday. Can’t wait to get it into my system. Will report back once I’ve had some time to listen.

punkmusick, F1nut, HiFi Guy and 2 others like this.
  14. Erik Tracy

Pics, too! :righton:

15. Vinyl Fan 1973

Definitely! :edthumbs:

HiFi Guy likes this.
  16. Vinyl Fan 1973

The amp arrived today, and so far so good. This thing showed up very well packaged, wrapped in a velvet bag, with white gloves included for handling. I’m told it should burn in for 100 hours, but already I’m hearing a noticeable upgrade to what I had. First CD up is the K2HD of Dave Brubeck Time Out and it sounds fantastic. The highs are smoother, the bass much deeper and tighter, amazing soundstage, but it’s the details in the music that seem to come alive.

Everything seems more realistic, the drums especially sound like they are in the room with me. Very happy so far. This is a fun sounding amp, and very musical. Still lots of listening ahead and I’ll report back once I’ve got a couple more albums under my belt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jon9091, SAMAUL, F1nut and 1 other person like this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

18. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

She's purty. Congratulations.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Thanks! :righton:

20. Erik Tracy

Looks beautiful - I love the combo of looks to hidden power.

Let us know how things sound when you cut loose and crank it!:righton:

21. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Any more impressions now it's broken in?

22. Vinyl Fan 1973

I’m loving this amp. Now that it’s broken in the highs are much sweeter and the bass has tightened up. The mids were good right out of the box actually, but what fascinates me is that I can listen to music for hours without any fatigue. It’s a real joy to listen to, whether it’s CD or viny. In fact I’m loving the phono section so much I’ve stopped searching for an external phono amp.

23. Bruce Timm

Bruce Timm Well-Known Member

I am very interested in purchasing the M5si and would appreciate your input.

Oddly, the manual suggests the green earthing post (ground) for the phono only be connected if there is a hum?
    I have always grounded my turntable... Did you? Also, does it only accept a 4mm banana vs. standard spade connector?

What type of connector from your experience do you recommend for the speaker outputs... banana or spade?

24. Vinyl Fan 1973

I grounded the turntable right away, didn’t even try it without doing it. I use Audio Quest speaker cables that have banana plugs, but the amp will take spades if you’d prefer.

I’ve used banana plugs, spades and bare wire, and I have to say I like using banana plugs best.

Have you had a chance to hear the amp?

25. Bruce Timm

Bruce Timm Well-Known Member

About 2 months ago I had the opportunity to hear/listen to the amp owned by my former neighbor. I'm not good at
    voicing specifics, other than saying I thoroughly enjoyed the hour or so of music...

When I downloaded the manual, the phono ground immediately caught my attention, not only their recommendation, but
    I have never seen a 4mm banana ground post, when ground wires typically use spades.