Soundgarden, Superunknown

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinylphile, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident Thread Starter

Man...was listening to this album tonight and transported back to the early to mid 90s - as far as I'm concerned the last time rock music seemed important. What a sound they crafted on this album - perfect mix of Sabbath-y Zeppelinesque rock with harmony and psychedelia, great songwriting, amazing drummer, interesting time signatures and awe-inspiring vocalist at the top of his game. I remember listening to this album and feeling a real sense of anticipation in the air of what this whole "alt rock / grunge" scene could be capable of. Remember just a few years earlier we were made to endure the last gasp of the awful late wave of generic hair bands.

Alas it didn't last too long but thank god it at least gave us this gem...

2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Classic. Great album.

I was pretty well done listening to "new music" other than Gn'R, until Grunge music came along.

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Well said on this excellent LP

4. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

So glad you mentioned the oddly shaped time signatures that, I think, was a hallmark of Soundgarden's sound. It is really a gift to be able to make a song sound natural in an odd time sig. Lennon could do it occasionally, but Chris Cornell was really crafty at it. See Fell On Black Days.... it feels perfect in the strange 6/4. Wasn't unheard of for Soundgarden venture into the "in danger of feeling forced" 5/4 too, but it never felt forced.

5. vinylphile

My Wave ;)

6. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

The scream Cornell unleashes right after the bridge on Let Me Drown is so damn powerful.....that scream looks like the album cover.....crank it and listen.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Wore out my old cassette copy when the album came out. Don't put it on all the time anymore but I do enjoy it when I'm in the mood. Fantastic album.

8. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I only have an mp3 of this album. Any opinions on the quality of the 2LP set from 2014? Discogs opinions vary.

9. vinylphile

I was wondering the same thing. Was tempted at a local record shop but resisted for now...

10. Rastus

Rastus New Member

One of my favourites [​IMG]

11. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

I'm not 100% sure but I recall that during a discussion somewhere here it was stated that even the original vinyl sounds mediocre, that's why I decided to get the original CD only.

Detroit Rock Citizen and JasonA like this.
  12. Rastus

Rastus New Member

I'm very happy with the original press,I've got the clear one.

Sentient(Jæ)Ant and Frosst like this.
  13. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Likewise, I have the blue.

14. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

One of the defining listenings of my adolescence.

15. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Original pressing was horrible, avoid at all costs. Haven't heard the 2014 vinyl. Still using original CD.

16. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

I don't recall it sounding horrible then again it's been a long time since I've played it I'll have to give a spin sometime today, great album though.

joshm2286 and Neonbeam like this.
  17. Django

Django Forum Resident

One of many great rock albums from the 90's:goodie:

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Christgau called Superunknown the best Zeppelin rip ever — “not quite as long as Physical Graffiti but a lot more consistent.” I couldn’t agree more. It’s a great album.

19. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Which original? Europe or US? My EU copy certainly sounds fantastic. And hyperbole like "horrible" or "avoid at all cost" isn't exactly helpful.:evil:

24voltsdc and SoundDoctor like this.
  20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I had a US blue pressing that was the most screechy and sibilant record I had ever heard, after playing through two different TT/amp setups.

21. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Great album but I’m more on the BadMotorFinger side :)

22. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think Christgau does a disservice to Soundgarden by calling them a Zeppelin "rip." Though clearly inspired by the force that was LZ, Cornell sounded nothing like Plant--Cornell had way more range-- and musically, there is little on the album one can imagine Zeppelin doing. I hear more more Beatles influence--at least on the mid tempo tracks.
    Just a solid album.

23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

The run of Ultramega OK->Louder Than Love->Badmotorfinger->Superunknown is one of the best 4 album runs ever. The progression from raw power to elegant power is brilliant.

24. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I don’t think Christgau meant it in a negative way, and I certainly didn’t take it that way. And I do hear a very Zeppelinesque sound in much of their music (and, yes, Beatles too) — though, as a soloist, Kim Thayil is no Jimmy Page. :hide:

25. lordfalconer

lordfalconer Forum Resident

I do love the album- I think it could drop a track or two (certainly with the anniversary edition & original vinyl I don’t feel She Likes Surprises has any right to be on there) but on the whole it is a classic.
    I have a cassette, vinyl, cd and the re-release deluxe edition so obviously I must think somewhat positively of it :laugh:

Aftermath likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.