Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Well I enjoyed it and it WAS what I was expecting. A well made film that had a languid pace. Could it have been trimmed a bit? Sure. Each film is flawed in its own way.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  2. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

I had no expectations about the film, so I enjoyed the experience of watching it in a theater. There were some nice moments, very nice shots, the special effects were well done, and I was completely convinced by the films setting. However, I don’t see any point to the sequel, the story was complete in the first film, and unfortunately the sequal added nothing to the story. I guess some might feel that the fertility of Rachel added a new dimension, but even that went nowhere.

Claude, hi_watt and Karnak like this.
  3. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Saw this finally. I thought it was a well considered, thoughtful film. Some of the visuals were stunning, like the reflecting pool motif and the interaction of the holo-girl with Joe, etc. The exterior visuals were also nice, but overall, I think I still prefer the original's visuals.

It was good to see Ford again, but did we really need to have a 75 year old constantly throwing punches and acting tough? It was kind of embarrassing.

I really wanted to love this film, but it was just too dull. You can have an intelligent story and a little more zip and pizazz, kind of like the original, which is a much better movie IMO. I still liked it a fair bit, but did not love it (kind of like with Villeneuve's other film - Arrival).

carrick doone, Claude and hi_watt like this.
  5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The way it was worded was that he could keep his badge and gun until his next psych-eval and that if he didn't pass it again (to be at baseline), that she couldn't do anything for him. Another words, he was given a chance to sort himself out before being 'dealt' with.

cwd likes this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I looked at the Amazon trailer before considering purchasing it in HD -- and the TRANSFER LOOKS LIKE $%^&*! Like the contrast got bumped and all the detail washed? Vidiot?

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, nevermind, I figured out what was going on. Damn movie is so muted in color, if you don't have the right setting tuned in it looks awful. Bwah!

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Had to time the scene that irritated me most. Villeneuve devotes exactly 3 minutes of screen time to Ryan Gosling walking through a deserted warehouse to the furnace, taking a full 45 seconds for a closeup of unwrapping the horse in near total darkness. Thanks, Denis, spare me the 4-hour cut.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's almost as if the movie is depicting a devastated, dying world.

You want color and contrast? See the holographic scene of verdant nature shown in the memory-engineer's lab. It's paradise by comparison to reality and no doubt a meticulously chosen juxtaposition.

cwd likes this.
  10. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I bought Blade Runner 2049 off of iTunes and watched it last night in my basement with the sound blaring– it was amazing. It did a great job of recapturing the feel of the original without feeling like a reboot or retelling of the original film.

Having seen and been a fan of the original dozens of times, I kept an open mind. The soundtrack was perfect– retained all the right cues and nods to the original and offered new takes on them.

A bit surprised that the film's performance is considered a box office disappointment, but the original was that way too. They will make their money over time with home video releases, this is definitely reference material.

Old Rusty, SuntoryTime, FVDnz and 3 others like this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That doesn't surprise me at all. The film was good, but not the kind of eye candy/action fest that normally makes the big bucks these days.

12. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I preordered the 4k disc. I hope that it will be a great transfer.

13. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Real late to the party. My son and I caught this in a theatre yesterday. I thought it was terrific. A very different movie experience. I am a jaded movie goer and this is the kind of film that renews my faith in movie making. Visually stunning,well acted. Suspenseful. What more can we ask ? I am puzzled over the hyper critical analysis on this thread.

LEONPROFF, Jim B., Old Rusty and 4 others like this.
  14. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

"But, but, but..it's too long!" "It's too dreary!" "I don't understand every single thing and don't want to accept that a future world has intricacies that aren't explained line-for-line!" "I don't like it if a blind rich genius with a god complex who is insane doesn't act like a normal person." And, of course, "I would have trimmed it down."

Glad you enjoyed it! Not many movies like this, inheriting such a rich heritage from decades ago, and executing those themes and developing them in new ways, with extraordinary visuals and sound.

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm going to watch it tonight. I bought it through Comcast on demand. The original is one of my all time favorites and I still watch it all the time. I have a feeling I'm going to like this one. I don't analyze films like this, I just like being entertained.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  16. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Saw it last night. Complete waste of my time. Did not enjoy a single thing about it.

Gotta love the argument that if you aren't wowed by this film you live on nothing but Transformers and GotG flicks. Sure.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

That's the problem in a nutshell: this movie is a forced march I had to endure rather than enjoy at any point. And the plot, philosophical conundrums and action didn't justify the endless build-up.

mr. steak likes this.
  18. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I think what's great about this movie is that it makes people think about it and comment. Even if they hate the movie it's more than watching the latest superhero CGI video game and forgetting it 5 minutes after they've left the theater.

rufus t firefly and Kassonica like this.
  19. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The wife and I had a good thirty minute conversation after leaving the theater. Personally I got a nice rant going about how either replicants are just cloned humans thus negating the plot BS or very poorly designed robots.

20. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

?

21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Maybe because I'm getting old myself and feel it a bit more every day after the workout club, but I have no problem with an older person not sitting around not moving and filling their adult diapers. I remember when Jackie Brown came out and made it ok for middle aged or 50s folks or whatever to live hard and find each other sexy.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I get what you're saying and I don't have a problem with it at all. However, there is a big difference between middle-age to 50 and 75. But also, the way that scene was shot made Ford look like some kind of Rambo tough guy for no good reason other than that's what Ford's characters did in his prime.

But, all in all, a minor quibble.

23. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I saw it a couple of months ago. What were they thinking? It was boring and way too polished. The movie lacked that post apocalyptic, rainy grime of the first instalment. eg. Harrison Ford should have been found in some run down, dirty inner city apartment -- not out in the darn desert in some weird version of Las Vegas. Crap, they didn't even have one of those very cool interrogations. I didn't develop any sympathy for the characters either. Too bad. Into the dustbin of history for this one.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That part I agree with, none of the main characters were likable, human or replicant, but I don't see this as a flaw. In such a world, replicants have nothing to be cheery about as they are being exploited and persecuted. Humans too, live in a dying hell-hole of a planet, so psychologically and emotionally tend to be dysfunctional.

But, you know who was sympathetic, upbeat and emotionally engaging? Joi, the holo-AI! That says something about the society being portrayed, when the most 'normal' seeming person is an artificial, holographic construction.

The movie is rife with this kind of considered detail that isn't immediately obvious. It invites further discussion and re-examination.

25. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Too polished? I thought that future looked even worse than the one showed in the original.

SuntoryTime and Kassonica like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.