Citi Analysts Says Apple May Acquire Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I wish companies would stop buying other companies
    If they got money to to burn give all of it to charity..

Kiko1974 likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Microsoft did it with their web browser so I don't see why Apple couldn't do it with iTunes.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Now, there's a lot more impetus for Apple to spend money in the United States. Note that this is not my report -- it's the Citi analysts' report. If you don't agree with it, that's cool, but take it up with them.

Yes, Apple is going to be spending $1 billion on original content in 2018:

Apple Readies $1 Billion War Chest for Hollywood Programming

Note that you can watch this content on all Apple computers, iPads, iPhones, and the Apple TV box. I actually like the Apple TV box quite a bit.

I have a hard time arguing with this. Corporate takeovers and monopolies rarely result in more jobs or better deals for customers.

Alan G. and Dan C like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If the weather forecaster says there's a 40% chance of rain, I'm probably not going to bother taking an umbrella with me when I go out.

A 40% chance of Apple buying them also means there's a 60% they don't.

5. Vidiot

As much as I sometimes come off as an apologist for Apple, I really detest iTunes as well and I have to jump through a lot of hoops in order to force it to do what I want. iTunes is definitely not intended for people with large, complex music collections. There's thousands of complaints about it over on iLounge.com. The only way it works for me is if I use two or three add-on programs to pound it into submission.

I love a lot of Apple products -- I think the iPhone 7 was a thing of beauty, and I couldn't do my job and make a living without the Mac Pros and Mac Minis in my office -- but I think Apple as a corporation is rotten to the core. They make terrible decisions for users, their products are priced too high, and they're very slow to make important hardware upgrades. Bad company. Put me firmly in the "Love the Mac, Hate Apple" category.

I can remember when the rumors about Apple buying Beats came out, and many people were saying, "why would Apple spend $3 billion in order to get into the s****y headphones business?" And then it happened. So weirder things have happened.

I have long wondered whether Apple would buy an existing record label or movie studio or TV network, and it actually makes more sense that they would buy the most successful video streaming company and fold them into Apple TV. That's much closer to their main business.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The acquisition makes sense. Apple needs to provide a platform independent service with new content. Netflix can provide that.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

But that would be against everything Apple stands for!

goodiesguy, eddiel, razerx and 4 others like this.
  8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

True.

9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Unless Disney buys them first.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Disney is preparing its own streaming service. They don't need Netflix, especially with the wealth of content they have at their disposal.

11. Amazon is eyeing Costco if anything, not Wal-Mart. Amazon and Wal-Mart would never be allowed to merge over anti-trust issues, anyway.

12. I would bet against Apple buying Netflix within the next two years if somebody will give me even odds, but I guess the Citi analysts are saying the same thing. I like Netflix and I like Apple products but I sure can't see why I would want Apple to buy Netflix. I do think Netflix will be sold and there can't be more than a few possible suitors, certainly Apple is among them.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That doesn't seen to be a problem these days.

GentleSenator likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'd like to welcome everyone to the new Apple Walmart Microsoft Steve Paul McCartney Hoffman Microsoft Forum.

goodiesguy, enro99 and Pinknik like this.
  15. Vidiot

Apple has said before that 75% of their customers on iPhone, iTunes, and Apple Music use Windows, so that's as platform-agnostic as I think they can be.

You mean "AOL-Time-Warner-Pepsico-Viacom-Halliburton-Skynet-Toyota-Trader Joe's Media." (Bojack Horseman joke.)

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That makes sense, from a total demographic standpoint. I'm sure Microsoft has a Windows Media Player-based store but who would ever want to use it?

17. Vidiot

Well, they need that for all their loyal Zune customers and the famous Microsoft Windows Phone. Oh, wait... I guess those are dead. :sigh:

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh god, I forgot about Zune... just like everyone else. :)

goodiesguy, The Panda and Vidiot like this.
  19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...bought to you by Pono.....

20. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I'm utterly confused about why people, especially people who are interested in some modicum of artisty in the industry as well as the machinations of the industry as well (e.g. jobs for the people who work in it) could possibly be gleeful about things such as Disney buying 20th Century Fox or Apple buying Netflix.

I mean, I get why comic book nerds who don't care about anything else don't care what it takes to get Iron Man and Wolverine in the same movie or be able to click just once to get into Apple *and* Netflix stores, but the HUUUUUUUGE drawbacks to this new, epic level of media consolidation is painfully obvious.

Should we just give up now and invoke the 1970s Rollerball rule and fold everything into about four companies to control everything?

[​IMG]

goodiesguy, Kiko1974, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  21. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Disney has been almost ready to launch DisneyNOW for 12 years*. Originally it would have required a separate set-top box, at least they upgraded to ‘app’ for their nonexistent product delivery system.

*It used to be advertised heavily on VOOM Tv

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well, there's DisneyLife...

Disney has done streaming before, but its new try could be huge

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sadly, they seem to have no interest in making powerful Macs for folks like you any more. "Design anorexia" has taken over, and their last product for the power user, the trashcan Power Mac was a huge, fundamentally crippled, flop. And no, a more powerful iMac is not acceptable to those who need a choice in screens.

A case has been made that Apple has enough money to easily buy all of the Big Three record labels and own the music business

goodiesguy, Mr Bass and Deesky like this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Is that anything like ThugLife?

[​IMG]

goodiesguy and Benno123 like this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Surprisingly, yes...

[​IMG]

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.