Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This is a special case: Can't argue with history ...

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Just checked my big Alfred Brendel Philips box - it doesn't use original jackets and uses the Decca logo throughout.

[​IMG]

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It seems they are using the actual (historic) label logo for their label and original jacket boxes, and the Decca logo for their non-original jacket boxes.

4. coopmv

At least UniversalMusic is being consistent. Once they call some recordings as original jackets, they have to apply the Philips name throughout the big box. In this case, they outright relabeled all these recordings Brendel previously made with Philips as Decca, they can call the big box Decca.

5. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Anyway, Philips was a wonderful label (at least I think it was) and I'm glad the recordings are being reissued by Universal, in whatever form.

Dan C, Soulpope, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  6. coopmv

It was a great label and my preferred classical label since the mid 70's when I first ventured into the classical music world. But those Philips mega boxes are no-touch for me since I will have too many duplicates.

Thomas R likes this.
  7. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Hello,

Joined as a member long ago but then slowly drifted out of audio. Getting back into to it recently. This thread and the jazz thread has reignited my interest .

Today is listening. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Google is your friend. Kubelik did record a complete Beethoven cycle, which was unique for using a different orchestra for each symphony. Pentatone has recently been re-releasing these in their original stereo/quad configuration on SACD; thus far they've released all except the 3rd and 9th, with the 9th scheduled for next month.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Good point.

10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Kubelík did record a complete Beethoven Symphonies cycle for Deutsche Grammophon between 1971 and 1975, with 9 different orchestras. DG reissued the cycle in Kubelík's Symphony Edition:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    ubertrout, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Can't see the images.

ShallowMemory and crispi like this.
  12. bigstar87

bigstar87 Forum Resident

from the RCA Living Stereo Vol. 1:
    [​IMG]
    I just love this recording (even though I'm generally lukewarm to Mahler symphonies) and wish Reiner would have done more Mahler

vanhooserd, Joe F, hvbias and 6 others like this.
  13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Philips 6514 322) 1983 .... the ongoing original brands/Philips discussion made me replay one of the arguably finest hours of both Jessye Norman and the Gewandhausorchester led by Kurt Masur ....

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now streaming on Spotify, "Missa Ave Maris Stella / Motets to the Virgin" performed by A Sei Voci on Astree.

[​IMG]

15. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

16. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Frank Bridge: String Quartet No. 4

[​IMG]

Thomas R, bluemooze and Eigenvector like this.
  17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD 1 from the third Living Presence box. Suites 1 & 2.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Joe F, bigstar87 and 4 others like this.
  18. bluemooze

Now streaming on Amazon, a first listen to "Bax: Violin Sonatas, Vol. 2" performed by Lawrence Jackson (violin) and Ashley Wass (piano) on Naxos.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Good morning! The brutal cold is releasing it's grip!
    On the TT

On the TT....[​IMG]

Wes H, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  20. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I am always on the lookout for vintage record catalogues and illustrated brochures, and this is what I found recently:

[​IMG]

This is an old DG brochure. What is amazing about it, is that it smells like freshly printed, although it’s exactly 60 years old! I have no idea how it was stored. Yesterday I opened up some still sealed 50-year-old vinyl and even that smells old. But this is really time capsule quality, from an olfactory sense at least.

[​IMG]

21. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Judith Weir: I Broke off a Golden Branch, for piano quintet*; Distance and Enchantment, for piano quartet**
    *The Schubert Ensemble of London
    **Domus

[​IMG]

bluemooze and scompton like this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Philips "Classics" West German Press 420 805-2) .... splendid Bruckner 7 performance by Haintink + Concertgebouw Orchestra recorded October 1978 ....

23. coopmv

Thanks J.A.W.
    I found the track listing. Unfortunately, I cannot say I like all the orchestras performing the Beethoven Symphonies. I would have preferred if only the Big Four - BPO, RCO, VPO and LSO were among the orchestras participating in those recordings ...

RAFAEL KUBELIK / THE SYMPHONY EDITION - 23 CDs - Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft

24. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A better performance than his earlier one.

Soulpope likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I agree, some of those orchestras were not top-notch. I wonder whose idea it was to use 9 orchestras...