Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. hotshotskings

hotshotskings Forum Resident

My order from amazon.de:
    Not yet dispatched
    Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

Starday Custom Series #500-675 (10-CD Box)

amazon.de website currently has following:
    Temporarily out of stock.
    Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we dispatch the item

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

It usually takes me at least a month to totally digest an entire box. My favorite so far was Floyd Tillman's box, as this was the first in-depth research I have ever heard or read about him. I looked forward every night to listening and reading along in the book.

Of course I have had to revisit many sets like George Hamilton IV's, which has my favorite book of any BF set, to truly appreciate them. My first BF set was Faron Young, and to be honest it is the one I have had the hardest time getting into. The fact that it's not in chronological order just doesn't work for me.

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  3. cdwolf

cdwolf Forum Resident

IMO this is Amazon's fault. As you know, BF boxsets tend to be heavy and without protective outer packaging the inside contents of the set can easily cause tears like this, especially if there is little or no padding inside the Amazon box. If Amazon had simply left the boxset inside the packaging it was in when BF sent it to them I highly doubt there would be this damage.

melstapler, Reader and baptistbusman like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Has anyone received their Starday Custom Series box set? I ordered from Amazon.de but it's still not in stock. IIRC the release date has come and gone.

Trying to find a site that has it in stock for a decent price as I'd consider cancelled my Amazon order in case they never get it.

5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

How much did you Amazon.de guys pay for the Starday box?

melstapler likes this.
  6. hotshotskings

99.58 EUR total

melstapler likes this.
  7. The Killer

Dang I missed that one!

melstapler likes this.
  8. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

For me it was somewhere around 97 EUR plus shipping and import fees, totalling about 113 EUR. It's worth putting in your basket and progressing to the payment page to see if the price magically jumps down like it did for me.

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  9. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

This smashed box you got,Amazon must send you another whole box.
    Where i get my boxes from here in Norway.They are in Bear Family records original unopened box.Plus an solid box with newspaper around the unopened BFR cd box.A second box around this.Lots of tapes around corners of outside box.Never a problem.
    I ordered once a Connie Smith cd box from a private person selling on Amazon.This was good and solid packaged with a second box around it.Lots of FEDEX tape used on the box.This arrived fast.

10. The Killer

It's a 150 euros, bah!

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I got it for 97 Euros with shipping and import fees deposit it comes out to E123.

No idea if it will ship though :)

I can't remember the release date but I'm sure it's already passed. The Bear Family site doesn't have it in stock but has an option to sign up for emails to be notified of when it is back in stock.

12. GodBlessTinyTim

The release date was supposed to be December 20. Be Sharp is a pretty small operation, so we should give them some time.

eddiel likes this.
  13. hotshotskings

for those not following the Louisiana Hayride thread, here's my recent post:

I sent the following email (to amazon.de):
    Hi, my package arrived with the shipping box all torn and smashed and there was no packing material inside the Amazon shipping box. The item inside is a collector's item (music box set) that was damaged with one corner of the box ripped and split. This box set was ordered in New condition and the ripped corner no longer marks it as New condition. The damaged box reduces the overall value of the collector's item and I am extremely upset. I waited two months for this item and to receive it in such dreadful condition is very upsetting. Due to the nonexistent protection and damage done to the item, I would be willing to keep the item provided that I am given a partial refund of ##% of the price that I paid. This would be a fair Used condition price for this type of item. Will I be sent a replacement box?

The amazon de team responded with:
    Hello,
    Thanks for using our Online Return Centre. We've issued a refund. Please send the item by ##. January 2018*
    *If you don’t send the item by this date, we'll charge your credit card.
    Additional Instructions for mailing your parcel
    • Cut out the return label and stick it on the outside of the return package.
    • Double check that your label is on a flat side of the parcel and covers any other visible address and bar code.
    • Securely package the item to avoid damage during return--if possible, please use the original packaging. Please include the original packing slip and write the reason for your return on the packing slip.
    • If the value of the items you’re returning is more than EUR 40.00, it's recommended that you use a trackable return method. Regardless of the shipment method you use, please keep your receipt as proof of posting.

Re-use the original packaging? Securely package the item? LOL. I sent another response to cancel the refund since it doesn't look like they will be sending me a replacement box set and I'm not dealing with all the customs crap. The label lists the box set value as EUR 167.66 so I better not be charged EUR 167.66 when they cancel the refund and re-charge my credit card(!)

14. Svein Arne

Maybe it is someone working there that wants to steal youre money?Strange that you must pay 2 times for a damaged package.Hope next year will be better for music collectors like us.Send an angry e-mail to these germans and say what you mean about this.They live in another part of the world so you can say anything to them.:cussing:

melstapler and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  15. hotshotskings

Good ending to the story: After some back and forth emails with the amazon.de customer service team, I was granted the partial refund percentage that I requested and I will keep the damaged box set.

16. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Here's a post from Ernie B. about his new venture and the end of the old:

Message from Ernie B about EBrecords/EBreggae
    [​IMG]by Ernie B » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Hi All,

I am sad to officially report to you what is obvious: EBrecords (formally Ernie B's Reggae) will be closing soon. Trying to grow and maintain the company proved to be impossible for me due to the highly contentious partnership (two owners is one too many, especially family). I couldn't keep it glued together any longer. As a last ditch effort I sold my half ownership to my brother back in 2015 (and promptly put my proceeds back into the business) but even that didn't fix it.

I feel very bad for the customers and vendors because at the end of the day it was you who were 99% responsible for it's amazing success. That's why I hung in there for so long and put every last drop of energy and money I had into it (besides the fact that I didn't want to go out and get a real job!).

I am starting over with a new company, called Millions of Records. You can sign up for emails on my website but it's not taking orders yet (http://www.MillionsOfRecords.com). Please sign up for the emails asap - important to keep you in the loop (it's going to be a fun loop to be in). Website will be accepting orders in about a month.

My new website will be a lame, simple website at first. I might as well be honest, the new website is super simple and lacks some important features. It will function OK but it's very simplistic. Please bear with me while I work on the "real" website while this lame one is providing me with some desperately needed income at the start. After I gain some momentum I will launch the redesigned/upgraded website with all of the great features EBrecords.com had, plus many more (and without the kinks and idiosyncrasies of course).

I sure wish I could have kept EBrecords going. It's a lot of work starting from scratch! Luckily, and I mean VERY lucky, I have made a lot of friends who have reggae collections and they are letting me sell some of their records on consignment through my new website. Some pretty crazy reggae oldies! Thousands and thousands of killer 70s-80s singles and LPs. Lots of CDs too. Way more used reggae than Ernie B's ever had. Someone also consigned a huge stock (over 100,000 units) of tapes and CDs (all genres) so overall there will be a great selection of all genres on all formats, new and used. Records stores will have a field day as well. It's good to have friends because without them I would have no records to sell!

With your help I can build this up to even better than what Ernie B's was in it's heyday. That's my goal. It's going to take a while because I literally have to start from the ground up. I've done it before though so it will be easier this time.

Thank you for all of your support. You wouldn't believe the emails I am getting from customers; the support is almost overwhelming! That keeps me going. I promise to put in some serious effort in providing great selection, prices and service.

That was a wild 24-year roller coaster ride, mostly at the top (a lot of fun watching cartloads of reggae ship in and out every day). The roller coaster never went down, actually it crashed at the top and left me dangling over the edge. I finally just let myself drop to the pavement. I'm OK though and I'm ditching the roller coaster and boarding the rocket-ship while we build this up again. Rockets rise slowly during liftoff so please hang in there a bit while I get this going. The good news is that as I am typing this message I am surrounded by records - I don't know where to start! Give me records and a computer and that's all I need.

It's fun to get your emails after you open your boxes. I always loved your stories and anecdotes about record you bought from me. If you are like me you can remember exactly where and when you bought every record in your collection. I hope you join in on the fun, I can't play all these records myself!

Best regards to all,

Ernie
    Ernie B

panasoffkee, Svein Arne, DR.J and 4 others like this.
  17. Svein Arne

Kkfan, The Killer, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  18. owsley

owsley Senior Member

FYI, I picked up the Tages Bear Family reissue of Studio and it sounds AWESOME. Superb pressing and sound quality is even better than a Swedish Parlophone original! It blows away the CD versions from the' This One's For You' and more recent Capitol 5 CD box sets. The Bear Family reissue is a new master from the (what sounds like 1st generation) original production master tape. It's easy to tell because 'She's A Man' does not fade at the end like all CD versions do. Based on the quality of the Tages reissue, I wish Bear Family would reissue Beatles, Stones, Kinks.... and everyone else on vinyl. They are the best.

melstapler and Dr-Sardonicus like this.
  19. Svein Arne

Here is one more cd:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Go-Complet...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D4TNKZBAH12ZH8B8GCYW

melstapler likes this.
  20. owsley

owsley Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  21. Svein Arne

22. Dr-Sardonicus

Dr-Sardonicus Forum Resident

Thanks for the endorsement. Might have to pick this up.

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

24. hotshotskings

Any highly anticipated box sets being released in 2018 besides the Korea War box?

25. GodBlessTinyTim